PDA

View Full Version : Explain why Rotoprone sucks

Anonymous
04-09-2007, 08:16 PM
Why would a company push a product like RotoProne that is unprofitable and so damn labor intensive? Lay it on brothers and sisters!! Maybe the corporate tools will listen for once. maybe they can sell the RotoRooter to some unsuspecting up and coming med-device or the competition.

BILLY BOB THORNTON
04-15-2007, 11:55 AM
YOU GOT THAT RIGHT! Keep your posts coming, amigo. This bed blows.....

Anonymous
06-08-2007, 09:47 AM
You guys got it all wrong. Yes it is labor intensive but of the 30 or so ARDS, hyperacute resp failure patients we have placed on the bed, all but 5 have survived to make it to rehab - these people would have been otherwise dead if it were not for the bed. Maybe you should be more concerned with your patients health and less concerned with how "hard" you might have to work! Grow up, you are getting a paycheck for a reason!

Anonymous
06-08-2007, 06:33 PM
You guys got it all wrong. Yes it is labor intensive but of the 30 or so ARDS, hyperacute resp failure patients we have placed on the bed, all but 5 have survived to make it to rehab - these people would have been otherwise dead if it were not for the bed. Maybe you should be more concerned with your patients health and less concerned with how "hard" you might have to work! Grow up, you are getting a paycheck for a reason! Say's who you? Are you God? They might have survived without the bed. How about a Rotorest? Maybe just as good results and you don't have to sleep next to the patient.

Anonymous
06-21-2007, 05:15 PM
Say's who you? Are you God? They might have survived without the bed. How about a Rotorest? Maybe just as good results and you don't have to sleep next to the patient.

Survived ARDS without Rotoprone? Sure some will, but not that many - this thing saves folks lives!

When KCI was a bed company and surface reps were trying to sell VACs, the same shit was being said about stinking wounds. Every patient placement needed a rep alongside, it was SOOOOO labour intensive. Then we got our shit together and trained our customers. Now look at the business we got.

Rotoprone, Deltatherm, Bariair, they are all labour intensive until we get enough people used to them. Wake up! It takes time, effort and balls to get something this good, this new, into profit and YES, that was true of VAC too.

Anonymous
06-21-2007, 07:12 PM
Survived ARDS without Rotoprone? Sure some will, but not that many - this thing saves folks lives!

When KCI was a bed company and surface reps were trying to sell VACs, the same shit was being said about stinking wounds. Every patient placement needed a rep alongside, it was SOOOOO labour intensive. Then we got our shit together and trained our customers. Now look at the business we got.

Rotoprone, Deltatherm, Bariair, they are all labour intensive until we get enough people used to them. Wake up! It takes time, effort and balls to get something this good, this new, into profit and YES, that was true of VAC too. True but the others are no comparsion to the Rotoprone. Every time I get a Rotoprone placement their are different nurses on for the day and night shift. Thr ICU has an incredible turnover rate which means for me I am stuck there most of the time. If the bed is so great then why don't they pay us a fair wage for the time spent? I bet you by this time next year we will not even be talking about the Rotoprone bed anymore. The company has finally realized that the bed is not worth the effort. If it was such a great product then Hill-Rom would have it by now also.

Anonymous
06-22-2007, 04:44 PM
True but the others are no comparsion to the Rotoprone. Every time I get a Rotoprone placement their are different nurses on for the day and night shift. Thr ICU has an incredible turnover rate which means for me I am stuck there most of the time. If the bed is so great then why don't they pay us a fair wage for the time spent? I bet you by this time next year we will not even be talking about the Rotoprone bed anymore. The company has finally realized that the bed is not worth the effort. If it was such a great product then Hill-Rom would have it by now also.

Can't ague about a fair wage for time spent. What I hear, you may be right about next year- trouble is it could mean what the whole company was founded on may go too- and some new beds that are real neat. Seen the deltatherm they have in SA? That leaves us making money with just vac when the original patent is running out. Maybe TF is looking forward to working for his old company again...

Julie Costello MD
07-29-2007, 08:35 PM
I just spent 2 1/2 hours literally CUTTING a pt out of a Rotoprone bed that was stuck with the patient in the prone position. We spent 45 mins thinking about the safest way to remove her and had 17 people in the room to accoplish the task. This is the third time we have had trouble with this bed in our hospital system that I know of, but nothing to this extent.
At the very least the company needs to redesign the "failsafe" manual release.
I will not be using it again.

Anonymous
07-29-2007, 11:09 PM
I just spent 2 1/2 hours literally CUTTING a pt out of a Rotoprone bed that was stuck with the patient in the prone position. We spent 45 mins thinking about the safest way to remove her and had 17 people in the room to accoplish the task. This is the third time we have had trouble with this bed in our hospital system that I know of, but nothing to this extent.

Thank you...thank you....thank you Dr Costello. We bring up problems all the time and no one in our company listens. Thank you for posting this...maybe, just maybe, someone will listen. I, for one, am sorry for the trouble that this has caused you and the patient that was involved. My hope is that someone in our stupid company will see fit to contact you. Thank you Dr Costello.

Anonymous
07-30-2007, 03:54 PM
Dr Costello, I find this an odd medium for an ICU doc to be issueing a product complaint. I was unable to ''Google'' you or an associated facility. Nothing like this appears on the FDA website either.

Dr Costello
07-30-2007, 07:50 PM
The "event" just happened 3 days ago and our Risk manager and Pt Care administrator are looking into it. I was mostly interested in whether there have been similar experiences. If you have some need to find me, I work at Mt Carmel St Ann's in Westerville Ohio. Google that.

Anonymous
07-30-2007, 09:38 PM
The "event" just happened 3 days ago and our Risk manager and Pt Care administrator are looking into it. I was mostly interested in whether there have been similar experiences. If you have some need to find me, I work at Mt Carmel St Ann's in Westerville Ohio. Google that.

Yea poster #10.....Goggle that shit. Just like some KCI, let's drink more Kool-Aid asswipe........when in doubt just blame the doc. It can't be our fault...we're KCI. The doc must be doing something wrong. I'm sorry Dr. Cosello.....we are run by fools.

Anonymous
07-30-2007, 11:18 PM
The "event" just happened 3 days ago and our Risk manager and Pt Care administrator are looking into it. I was mostly interested in whether there have been similar experiences. If you have some need to find me, I work at Mt Carmel St Ann's in Westerville Ohio. Google that. Mr. Mills? Knock Knock? Time to say goodbye to the rotoprone don't you think? Nothing but problems is that product. I think we should sell it, I mean give it to Hill-Rom so their sales force will be so tired from the all nighters they won't be able to compete with us.

Anonymous
07-31-2007, 12:05 AM
Hey Doc.....are you hot?

Anonymous
07-31-2007, 12:17 AM

If this is in fact a real issue your rep is a moron for telling you to post serious information like that on this disgrace of a website. We have a Customer First line where you can voice your complaint. Using this method will get the message all the way to the top of the food chain and it will be addressed immediately. I suggest that you document your product issue in the professional manner that it deserves.

If you believe in the product and understand the importance of the therapy, I think that you should rethink your decision not to use it again. Your reps need to be providing you with better service. When issues like you had arise, your rep should be following up on your complaint to make sure that this doesn't happen again to you or anyone else in the country.

Please document this incident the proper way. 800-275-4524 and ask for the Customer First Line.

Dr Costello
07-31-2007, 09:46 AM
If this is in fact a real issue your rep is a moron for telling you to post serious information like that on this disgrace of a website. We have a Customer First line where you can voice your complaint. Using this method will get the message all the way to the top of the food chain and it will be addressed immediately. I suggest that you document your product issue in the professional manner that it deserves.

If you believe in the product and understand the importance of the therapy, I think that you should rethink your decision not to use it again. Your reps need to be providing you with better service. When issues like you had arise, your rep should be following up on your complaint to make sure that this doesn't happen again to you or anyone else in the country.

Please document this incident the proper way. 800-275-4524 and ask for the Customer First Line.

It has all been properly documented and your company is meeting with me and the hospital next week. No one directed me to this site. I happened upon it when researching the problem that we had with the beds

Anonymous
07-31-2007, 04:55 PM
It has all been properly documented and your company is meeting with me and the hospital next week. No one directed me to this site. I happened upon it when researching the problem that we had with the beds

Ok great! I just want to make sure that you get the attention that you deserve. I hope that the problem is worked out. Thanks for your input.

Anonymous
08-28-2007, 01:51 PM
Thank you...thank you....thank you Dr Costello. We bring up problems all the time and no one in our company listens. Thank you for posting this...maybe, just maybe, someone will listen. I, for one, am sorry for the trouble that this has caused you and the patient that was involved. My hope is that someone in our stupid company will see fit to contact you. Thank you Dr Costello.

Dr Costello,to your patient, and hospital staff, please except our apology this incident occurred.
We strive to accomodated and make corrections when KCI hears of such incidents. Anytime you have concerns, suggestions or just to say Hi we welcome any and all comments! This is great company to work for, unfortunatley some idiots thinks it's stupid company sooooo why dont they find another place to work!!

Anonymous
04-26-2008, 04:22 PM
Wow......you people have some real issues.

There are only 2 types of people on this site, so you need to declare.

Turd- Loser complainer

Troll- corporate kool-aid drinker

This is an old post you dug up, so we are not sure where you stand, please declare yourself Turd or Troll

Anonymous
04-26-2008, 07:29 PM
There are only 2 types of people on this site, so you need to declare.

Turd- Loser complainer

Troll- corporate kool-aid drinker

This is an old post you dug up, so we are not sure where you stand, please declare yourself Turd or Troll

and which are you?

Anonymous
05-20-2008, 12:59 AM
The Troll's Turd-Cutter

Anonymous
01-03-2009, 09:32 PM
In one of our 400 bed hospitals in Minnesota we lost our privilege to order the rotoprone bed even if the md wanted it. We were too labor intensive for the reps

Anonymous
01-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Dr Costello,to your patient, and hospital staff, please except our apology this incident occurred.
We strive to accomodated and make corrections when KCI hears of such incidents. Anytime you have concerns, suggestions or just to say Hi we welcome any and all comments! This is great company to work for, unfortunatley some idiots thinks it's stupid company sooooo why dont they find another place to work!!

...and I'm relatively sure that the above message has "nothing" to do with that perception.

Anonymous
01-21-2009, 09:36 PM
The RotoProne is just as much of a failure as the DeltaTherm. Thank goodness KCI didn't market that DeltaTherm in the US, what a piece of crap! Thanks KCI UK...

Anonymous
02-12-2009, 10:34 PM
I believe the single greatest challenge to effective implementation of the RotoProne is the level of internal support that the nurses receive from the respective hospital administrations.
The initial learning curve is formidable on this therapy, but is certainly achievable with an adequately staffed Unit. In addition, programs are now in place at KCI (RotoProne University) that are designed to train staff and establish a level of competence in the application of this technology. The programs are offered both on and off site. The goal is to be able to achieve a Center Of Rotoprone Excellence (CORE) at each facility. Let's face it, the raison d'etre for the RP is how well it addresses the sickest quartile of hypoxic patients with favorable cost-to-outcomes ratios. Insofar as it falls short of this dynamic, it will kill itself. Time and studies will tell.
Put the patient first, and everything else will follow.

Anonymous
02-24-2009, 10:58 PM
OMG...how the hell did I end up HERE??? Just googled Rotoprone to read up a little more about it and ended up on this message board. I am shocked at the comments being made about this bed. I am an ICU nurse in NW Pennsylvania and just yesterday we put a lovely 24-year-old girl w/ pneumonia/ARDS/severe sepsis on one of these beds AS SHE WAS LITERALLY CODING...sats in the 60's, ph 6.8...this girl was DYING, nobody thought she would survive the move from her bed to the Rotoprone. Got her in the bed (yes it was a lot of work, yes it was challenging with multiple drips, lines, chest tube, vent,etc...but not one person whined or complained, this was to save a 24 year old girl's life) and proned her. I was her nurse for the evening shift last night and was literally sick to my stomach with worry the entire shift, she is that fragile, just prayed she would make it. She actually improved, sats took a while to improve but they did, and her abg improved as well. I was off today but called to check on her and she is still alive, stable but critical...I cannot emphasize what a miracle it is that she is even still alive. Let me stress that IF IT WERE NOT FOR THE ROTOPRONE BED SHE WOULD BE DEAD DEAD DEAD RIGHT NOW!!! I am not sure who the people are who are complaining about it, do you work in health care? Do you care whether this bed helps save people or not?

Yes it is a challenge to care for someone on this bed, after 10 hours of twisting and kneeling and bending and reaching...believe me, it is a workout...I am still sore! LOL! But would never think of complaining about it.

BTW...never saw a Rotoprone "Rep" in the room w/this patient...she was put on the bed about 2pm, I took her as a patient at 3:30, never saw a "Rep" at all...we nurses managed the bed all by ourselves...nobody sat there and babysat us. It's really not rocket science.

Anonymous
02-24-2009, 11:47 PM
OMG...how the hell did I end up HERE??? Just googled Rotoprone to read up a little more about it and ended up on this message board. I am shocked at the comments being made about this bed. I am an ICU nurse in NW Pennsylvania and just yesterday we put a lovely 24-year-old girl w/ pneumonia/ARDS/severe sepsis on one of these beds AS SHE WAS LITERALLY CODING...sats in the 60's, ph 6.8...this girl was DYING, nobody thought she would survive the move from her bed to the Rotoprone. Got her in the bed (yes it was a lot of work, yes it was challenging with multiple drips, lines, chest tube, vent,etc...but not one person whined or complained, this was to save a 24 year old girl's life) and proned her. I was her nurse for the evening shift last night and was literally sick to my stomach with worry the entire shift, she is that fragile, just prayed she would make it. She actually improved, sats took a while to improve but they did, and her abg improved as well. I was off today but called to check on her and she is still alive, stable but critical...I cannot emphasize what a miracle it is that she is even still alive. Let me stress that IF IT WERE NOT FOR THE ROTOPRONE BED SHE WOULD BE DEAD DEAD DEAD RIGHT NOW!!! I am not sure who the people are who are complaining about it, do you work in health care? Do you care whether this bed helps save people or not?

Yes it is a challenge to care for someone on this bed, after 10 hours of twisting and kneeling and bending and reaching...believe me, it is a workout...I am still sore! LOL! But would never think of complaining about it.

BTW...never saw a Rotoprone "Rep" in the room w/this patient...she was put on the bed about 2pm, I took her as a patient at 3:30, never saw a "Rep" at all...we nurses managed the bed all by ourselves...nobody sat there and babysat us. It's really not rocket science.

I'm happy to hear that this bed has been able to keep this patient alive....however, I'm distressed to hear that you had NO HELP FROM KCI...KCI gave up much of the active care they provided for this bed because there were so many problems with the software and too many KCI reps complaining about having to "babysit" the bed every time a patient was put on it.

The bed was a good idea but the design of the bed (R&D) couldn't get the software to work like it was meant to work correctly, meaning that there were so many software problems that the reps were basically baby sitting the beds in the middle of the night, and when the beds did fail, they were manually taking the patients out of the beds, stuck in the prone position, to save their lives in another way.

If you want to stay with KCI, you might be better off with the RotoRest. It's less complicated and doesn't have as many software defects (unreported FDA recalls).

Anonymous
02-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Rotoprone, Deltatherm, Bariair, they are all labour intensive until we get enough people used to them. Wake up! It takes time, effort and balls to get something this good, this new, into profit and YES, that was true of VAC too.

I agree with what you are saying, but I am curious about the Deltatherm?

I haven't heard of that one. I know the RotoRest is called the RotoRest Delta. Is that what you're talking about or is that a European side product?

Anonymous
02-25-2009, 10:40 PM
I agree with what you are saying, but I am curious about the Deltatherm?

I haven't heard of that one. I know the RotoRest is called the RotoRest Delta. Is that what you're talking about or is that a European side product?

DeltaTherm is a european surface that is meant to cool the patient, especially after a cardiac arrest. It's got alot of quality issues and they've basically removed them from the field because of all the problems.

Anonymous
02-25-2009, 11:29 PM
<<<<<The bed was a good idea but the design of the bed (R&D) couldn't get the software to work like it was meant to work correctly, meaning that there were so many software problems that the reps were basically baby sitting the beds in the middle of the night, and when the beds did fail, they were manually taking the patients out of the beds, stuck in the prone position, to save their lives in another way.>>>>>

How is that possible? (BTW I am the OP)...If the patient is in the prone position and an emergency occurs (such as loss of power, software fails, or the patient codes)...from what I understand as long as the patient is secured from the top (all of the "doors are closed") then all you need to do is pull the CPR handle and flip the patient right over to the supine position. You do not need power or the software to be working to do this. So I am finding it hard to believe that a patient was "stuck in the prone position" due to "software failure". Can you help me understand?

Anonymous
02-26-2009, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the info.

Anonymous
03-03-2009, 01:39 AM
<<<<<The bed was a good idea but the design of the bed (R&D) couldn't get the software to work like it was meant to work correctly, meaning that there were so many software problems that the reps were basically baby sitting the beds in the middle of the night, and when the beds did fail, they were manually taking the patients out of the beds, stuck in the prone position, to save their lives in another way.>>>>>

How is that possible? (BTW I am the OP)...If the patient is in the prone position and an emergency occurs (such as loss of power, software fails, or the patient codes)...from what I understand as long as the patient is secured from the top (all of the "doors are closed") then all you need to do is pull the CPR handle and flip the patient right over to the supine position. You do not need power or the software to be working to do this. So I am finding it hard to believe that a patient was "stuck in the prone position" due to "software failure". Can you help me understand?

Well, loose bolts can get stuck or something else that makes it impossible to extract the patient in the supine position, even with the CPR feature (this is a documented fact and a definite problem with the design of this bed). This has happened before and patients have died. There have been incidents where hospitals wouldn't use the beds because screws fell out of the beds before patients were even put in the beds.

These beds are impossible to disinfect and service in the local service centers, who are basically trying to put out an order as soon as possible (as if they work in a fast food restaurant). The service people were tired of the 8 hour servicing regime and basically skipped a lot of steps necessary to ensure the beds were safe before delivering to the next patient. Service personnel are too busy baby sitting all the problems with the VAC units and swapping them out because they either don't work or they smell bad.

This bed has save many lives, it's a shame that not enough thought was put into the design to make it reliable. Way to go KCI R&D!

Anonymous
04-04-2009, 03:13 PM
This bed saved my grandfather's life so maybe you should stop talking ignorant, lazy dumbasses.

Anonymous
04-04-2009, 04:05 PM
This bed saved my grandfather's life so maybe you should stop talking ignorant, lazy dumbasses.

Even a broken clock is accurate twice a day.

Anonymous
04-05-2009, 03:37 AM
Even a broken clock is accurate twice a day.

How original.

Anonymous
04-10-2009, 08:29 PM
I love it when I go into an account and hear they have a KCI contract haha. Its just a matter of time before we get the business. The Rotaprone has its issues but its a nitch and with the price it kills the hospitals budgets. I had one hospital payout 1.4mil a year in rotaprone rentals. I dont hate KCI though. I HATE Hill-Rom however those snake oil sales reps!

Anonymous
04-11-2009, 07:25 PM
This bed that you people are trashing saved my sons life. He was in a nasty car accident. They gave him a 10% chance of making it. There was no sign of improvement until he was placed in the bed. Thank god for the Doctor that insisted on getting the bed despite how messy it gets and how some poor jerk, that hates his job, is going to have to clean and maintain it after its use. thank god the "corporate tools" don't listen to people like you or my son would be dead.

Anonymous
04-17-2009, 01:44 PM
I heard that the Rotoprone was not in KCI's rental fleet anymore. Then I heard that there are only 4 in the Northeast. Are we going to be able to get them when we need them?

Anonymous
10-23-2009, 06:58 PM
my wife has been in icu for 2 months and she is just now getting better if it wasnt for the rotoprone bed we would have 3 small children with out a mom i thank god for that bed every night

Anonymous
10-24-2009, 12:04 PM
[QUOTE=Anonymous;1601199]Why would a company push a product like RotoProne that is unprofitable and so damn labor intensive? Lay it on brothers and sisters!! Maybe the corporate tools will listen for once. maybe they can sell the RotoRooter to some uns

The well trained doctors and nurses in ICU did a great job helping my son Alby get off the ventilator and recover his full lung functions. My family and I are very grateful to Mr. Jamie Dindal the Therapeutic Surfaces Account Manager for KCI; he spent long days and nights at my sonís bedside making sure the ICU nurses knew all the proper techniques using the special bed, which was labor intensive at times. The professional staff worked tirelessly 12 hour shifts as a team, saving my sonís life using this miracle ROTO-Prone bed. Everyday increased progress was measured in favorable numbers displaying his vital stats. I believe that the value of this device can not be measured in dollars, but in knowing that it helped to save my sonís life and probably many more lives as well.

Words alone can never adequately express my familyís profound joy at seeing my son become normal again.
Thank you all for saving my sonís life, without you it would not have been possible for this magnificent miracle Roto-Prone bed helped save my son's life!

Anonymous
10-26-2009, 09:19 PM
I was in a motorcycle accident and I aspirated on the scene causing instant pneumonia, my lungs developed tears in them from too many years of smoking although I quit a year earlier. I was dieing when put into the Rotoprone bed, and since have made a full recovery. THAT BED SAVED MY LIFE!!!!
I bet if some of you that think it sucks...needed it to save YOUR life you Wouldnít be so selfish. what is a human life worth? its priceless

Anonymous
10-26-2009, 09:53 PM
I heard that the Rotoprone was not in KCI's rental fleet anymore. Then I heard that there are only 4 in the Northeast. Are we going to be able to get them when we need them?

My son is in a UPMC hospital as I type this. That's in Pittsburgh. He's in the ICU in a Rotoprone bed and has been since yesterday. I saw at least 4-6 other units, mostly occupied so what you heard is not accurate.

By the way, my son has pneumonia brought about by H1N1 and is already showing improvement. Apparently the beds are being used extensively in such cases with great success. The nursing staff seems well versed in using the bed. None of them seems unhappy to be working with it. I got the idea that one of the younger nurses had had recent training with the bed but we haven't seen any reps, just nurses, respiratory Docs, ICU Doc, etc.

Maybe the difference is that UPMC is a network of university hospitals?

Anonymous
10-27-2009, 11:55 PM
The rotoprone bed saved my son's life. He was in critical condition after being in an accident which caused severe injuries to his lungs. After 2 weeks of being on a respirator and failing worse every day he was put into a rotoprone bed as a last resort to save his life.
after being in the bed for one week he had improved to the point that he started breathing on his own with little help from the respirator and all his numbers improved drastically. Within 2 weeks he was completely off the oxygen and breathing on his own. The doctors had told us previously that he would inevitably be on some type of oxygen therapy for the rest of his life. Now he is home and thanks to the rotoprone bed he is breathing, exercising and recovering in all ways. The doctors and nurses all said he was their miracle patient. I say the miracle was the rotoprone bed. The hospital could not afford to buy a rotoprone bed so they rented one for him. It saved his life. For that I am forever grateful.

Anonymous
10-31-2009, 02:05 AM
I work for the company that makes the Rotoprone and I do have to say that I find it very offensive that any of you are putting this bed down. It is a life saving device and who can put a price on saving someone's life. The bed isnt labor intensive. A person can be put on this bed and be ready for the therapy in about 30-60 minutes. I feel disgusted that there is someone out there in the world that is so negative that they are writing about how this bed should be stopped. What has this world come to!!!!!!

Anonymous
10-31-2009, 02:12 AM

I work for KCI and that is completely false. KCI has many of the Rotoprone's in the rental fleet. Yes they will be available when they are needed.

Anonymous
10-31-2009, 02:24 AM
Well, loose bolts can get stuck or something else that makes it impossible to extract the patient in the supine position, even with the CPR feature (this is a documented fact and a definite problem with the design of this bed). This has happened before and patients have died. There have been incidents where hospitals wouldn't use the beds because screws fell out of the beds before patients were even put in the beds.

These beds are impossible to disinfect and service in the local service centers, who are basically trying to put out an order as soon as possible (as if they work in a fast food restaurant). The service people were tired of the 8 hour servicing regime and basically skipped a lot of steps necessary to ensure the beds were safe before delivering to the next patient. Service personnel are too busy baby sitting all the problems with the VAC units and swapping them out because they either don't work or they smell bad.

This bed has save many lives, it's a shame that not enough thought was put into the design to make it reliable. Way to go KCI R&D!

OK first of all, I work for KCI in the repair/service dept. You are very misinformed. The R&D dept has put in many hours to make this bed as safe as possible for patients. Second, the service dept doesnt get tired of the 8 hours(which is a false time line, it is about 3 hours) that it takes to get the bed ready for the patient to use. Service dept takes pride in the work that each individual performs. The critical products, such as the Rotoprone, are the first and foremost concern of the service dept. This bed makes the difference whether a person lives or dies. The bed is a very complicated bed to repair but that is why the very best of training is provided to the repair technicians.
I am not sure why alot of people are very negative about a product that does alot to save lives.

Anonymous
10-31-2009, 07:00 PM
The rotoprone bed saved my son's life. He was in critical condition after being in an accident which caused severe injuries to his lungs. After 2 weeks of being on a respirator and failing worse every day he was put into a rotoprone bed as a last resort to save his life.
after being in the bed for one week he had improved to the point that he started breathing on his own with little help from the respirator and all his numbers improved drastically. Within 2 weeks he was completely off the oxygen and breathing on his own. The doctors had told us previously that he would inevitably be on some type of oxygen therapy for the rest of his life. Now he is home and thanks to the rotoprone bed he is breathing, exercising and recovering in all ways. The doctors and nurses all said he was their miracle patient. I say the miracle was the rotoprone bed. The hospital could not afford to buy a rotoprone bed so they re
nted one for him. It saved his life. For that I am forever grateful.

I too have had the privilege of seeing this bed save lives along with great medical and nursing care. As a KCI nurse please accept my heartfelt apologies for all the low rent comments on this board regarding this bed. Most of this garbage is posted by disgruntled, lazy KCI employees who would better serve the medical and patient community selling them cars or other items that may not require an ethical or emotional commitment.The majority of my colleagues are professional, ethical and do the right thing. This board is nothing but trash talk and makes the hard working dedicated employees of KCI look bad. I wish all the best to your son and your family.

Anonymous
11-01-2009, 09:52 AM
OK first of all, I work for KCI in the repair/service dept. You are very misinformed. The R&D dept has put in many hours to make this bed as safe as possible for patients. Second, the service dept doesnt get tired of the 8 hours(which is a false time line, it is about 3 hours) that it takes to get the bed ready for the patient to use. Service dept takes pride in the work that each individual performs. The critical products, such as the Rotoprone, are the first and foremost concern of the service dept. This bed makes the difference whether a person lives or dies. The bed is a very complicated bed to repair but that is why the very best of training is provided to the repair technicians.
I am not sure why alot of people are very negative about a product that does alot to save lives.

You MUST be joking. While this bed has helped save lives, when it doesn't work correctly, it has killed people when it malfunctions. There are so many mechanical and software malfunctions that have occurred while critically ill patients were on the bed...so many PREDICTABLE malfunctions that necessitated a policy of 24 hour KCI oversight...this bed should be recalled and reported to FDA as a safety hazard. Is KCI not reporting recalls the way they should?

Herb Peer
11-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Why would a company push a product like RotoProne that is unprofitable and so damn labor intensive? Lay it on brothers and sisters!! Maybe the corporate tools will listen for once. maybe they can sell the RotoRooter to some unsuspecting up and coming med-device or the competition.

What a lazy person you are. I hope you have left the medical profession. Without a doubt my wife of 42 years would be dead today without the Roto-Prone bed. You bet it's labor intensive. What would your family member's life be worth to you? I see you are "anonymous." I can understant why do want to remain that way.

Herb Peer
11-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Say's who you? Are you God? They might have survived without the bed. How about a Rotorest? Maybe just as good results and you don't have to sleep next to the patient.

I spent weeks at my wife's bedside and watched her beginng to recover with the Roto-prone bed. I watched her 02 sat climb instantaneously when the bed started its work--and I DO MEAN INSTANTANEOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Herb Peer
11-08-2009, 03:46 PM
True but the others are no comparsion to the Rotoprone. Every time I get a Rotoprone placement their are different nurses on for the day and night shift. Thr ICU has an incredible turnover rate which means for me I am stuck there most of the time. If the bed is so great then why don't they pay us a fair wage for the time spent? I bet you by this time next year we will not even be talking about the Rotoprone bed anymore. The company has finally realized that the bed is not worth the effort. If it was such a great product then Hill-Rom would have it by now also.

Don't you get paid by the hour?
This bed or some variation of it will be around long after you are gone; heck, you are probably already gone.

Herb Peer
11-08-2009, 03:53 PM
I'm happy to hear that this bed has been able to keep this patient alive....however, I'm distressed to hear that you had NO HELP FROM KCI...KCI gave up much of the active care they provided for this bed because there were so many problems with the software and too many KCI reps complaining about having to "babysit" the bed every time a patient was put on it.

The bed was a good idea but the design of the bed (R&D) couldn't get the software to work like it was meant to work correctly, meaning that there were so many software problems that the reps were basically baby sitting the beds in the middle of the night, and when the beds did fail, they were manually taking the patients out of the beds, stuck in the prone position, to save their lives in another way.

If you want to stay with KCI, you might be better off with the RotoRest. It's less complicated and doesn't have as many software defects (unreported FDA recalls).

Our bed worked flawlessly, and there was a toll-free 24 hour number posted in the room. The rep was by on a consistent basis. I repeat, my wife is alive today because of it.

Herb Peer
11-08-2009, 03:59 PM
You MUST be joking. While this bed has helped save lives, when it doesn't work correctly, it has killed people when it malfunctions. There are so many mechanical and software malfunctions that have occurred while critically ill patients were on the bed...so many PREDICTABLE malfunctions that necessitated a policy of 24 hour KCI oversight...this bed should be recalled and reported to FDA as a safety hazard. Is KCI not reporting recalls the way they should?

I think all of our testimonials speak for themselves. You started your thread over two years ago, and my wife's life was just spared by this bed. Your prediction that it would be out of service in a year was wrong, and it's obvious why.

Working RN
11-27-2009, 05:55 AM
This bed that you people are trashing saved my sons life. He was in a nasty car accident. They gave him a 10% chance of making it. There was no sign of improvement until he was placed in the bed. Thank god for the Doctor that insisted on getting the bed despite how messy it gets and how some poor jerk, that hates his job, is going to have to clean and maintain it after its use. thank god the "corporate tools" don't listen to people like you or my son would be dead.

...and how is your son now?

Anonymous
12-01-2009, 10:26 AM
I think all of our testimonials speak for themselves. You started your thread over two years ago, and my wife's life was just spared by this bed. Your prediction that it would be out of service in a year was wrong, and it's obvious why.

I am truly happy to hear all the positive outcomes this therpay has provided to grateful patients and their families from around the country. It is certainly touching.

RP is great because:
Nothing beats a great outcome with this bed
Grateful families and lives saved are well worth the time and effort we put in as reps
Good price point for overall territory revenue

Not so great because:
Individual RP payout/bonus considering the work involved (placements, inservices, on call etc) is WAY below industry standard. 4% on overage? that is shameful considering the time we spen away from OUR families supporting this therapy.

Most importantly are the techincal issues with this bed. As I said nothing is better than an excellent outcome, but nothing is worse than a RP problem occuring right when you are about to prone a patient after packing them etc. Having all those eyes on you while you try and get the thing to function properly, watching the patients monitor, seeing the O2 numbers drop while you fiddle with the thing. It is an awful feeling.

Too many times I catch myself thinking during a placement;

A. Please let this bed work properly and improve this patient's oxygenation
B. I am not paid enough for this ****

Anonymous
12-05-2009, 12:20 AM
I love it when I go into an account and hear they have a KCI contract haha. Its just a matter of time before we get the business. The Rotaprone has its issues but its a nitch and with the price it kills the hospitals budgets. I had one hospital payout 1.4mil a year in rotaprone rentals. I dont hate KCI though. I HATE Hill-Rom however those snake oil sales reps!

The price is more than comparable to other ARDS treatments, in fact it is one of the least expensive ways to treat it. If you say Hill Rom is a bunch of snake oil sales reps, you are probably a Sizewise rep that is nothing more than a snake that produces the oil Hill Rom sells; or one of the other mom and pop companies that offer low quality cheap imitation therapy surfaces.

Anonymous
12-22-2009, 10:57 PM
I love you guys and gals that support the RotoProne-You saved my daughter's life.

Anonymous
12-31-2009, 05:14 PM
Too funny!

The price is more than comparable to other ARDS treatments, in fact it is one of the least expensive ways to treat it. If you say Hill Rom is a bunch of snake oil sales reps, you are probably a Sizewise rep that is nothing more than a snake that produces the oil Hill Rom sells; or one of the other mom and pop companies that offer low quality cheap imitation therapy surfaces.

Anonymous
01-03-2010, 09:21 PM
I spent weeks at my wife's bedside and watched her beginng to recover with the Roto-prone bed. I watched her 02 sat climb instantaneously when the bed started its work--and I DO MEAN INSTANTANEOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Putting aside all the treads for the time being. Sir, I'm moved by your love and dedication to your wife. That shows real love, character, devotion and integrity. I hope she has come back to you 100%.

Anonymous
01-06-2010, 04:54 PM
My son-in-law is fighting for his life this very minute using this bed. (H1N1-pneumonia)
I pray to God it works. I don't know what can be done otherwise.

A young healthy father, otherwise.

Anonymous
01-06-2010, 08:17 PM
My son-in-law is fighting for his life this very minute using this bed. (H1N1-pneumonia)

Sir, for your families sake, I personally shall PRAY your son(in-law) does recover and if this bed is just ONE aspect to his recovery, then so be it. Bless you sir and your entire family.

Anonymous
02-02-2010, 02:52 AM
I am a nurse and I have worked with rotoprone beds on several occasions. When working properly they can save lives. On the other hand I have had 2 patients in the past couple of months nearly code because of the beds malfunctioning. On both of them the o2 sats went to the 30's. There is a CPR manual release to place the pt supine in event of an emergency. Unfortunately that doesn't help for patients that desaturate whenever they are supine and need to be proned.

Anonymous
02-05-2010, 10:55 PM
Sir, for your families sake, I personally shall PRAY your son(in-law) does recover and if this bed is just ONE aspect to his recovery, then so be it. Bless you sir and your entire family.

His life was saved by the use of this bed. The hospital had never used it before and the co. rep was present during the first three days. His condition had become a losing battle prior to the use of the bed. Although not on the co. website. there is an extremely valuable article on ICU nurse care of patients in the rotoprone bed. We are extremely grateful.

Anonymous
02-05-2010, 10:58 PM

The positive outcome is reported below.

Anonymous
04-24-2010, 08:32 PM

what happened

Anonymous
05-10-2010, 02:03 PM
I am a nurse and I have worked with rotoprone beds on several occasions. When working properly they can save lives. On the other hand I have had 2 patients in the past couple of months nearly code because of the beds malfunctioning. On both of them the o2 sats went to the 30's. There is a CPR manual release to place the pt supine in event of an emergency. Unfortunately that doesn't help for patients that desaturate whenever they are supine and need to be proned.

Yes its true you can't perform CPR in the prone position. Thats not the bed's fault and if a patient's SpO2 is in the 30's when supine I would not classify that as a bed "malfunction".

Anonymous
08-09-2010, 04:13 PM
Yes its true you can't perform CPR in the prone position. Thats not the bed's fault and if a patient's SpO2 is in the 30's when supine I would not classify that as a bed "malfunction".

how do you perform CPR in the prone position

Anonymous
08-19-2010, 01:37 AM
how do you perform CPR in the prone position

the new one has an auto CPR feature.

Anonymous
08-28-2010, 09:05 PM
the new one has an auto CPR feature.

How much can we charge for the new one?

Anonymous
09-03-2010, 02:11 AM
How much can we charge for the new one?

10,000 per day

Anonymous
09-05-2010, 04:57 PM
Evidenced based practice - it works. I've seen many people improve RAPIDLY when put on it. Especially when they are treated aggressively and put on it at the first sign of ARDS. I would agree that it is labor intensive - but mostly just when putting patients on the bed or taking them off. I've taken care of a rotoprone patient and another patient without a problem. I don't see why everyone thinks they're so hard to take care of. Why wouldn't you want to do it if there is even a slight chance your patient will get better. Don't get me wrong, I'm not about rotoproning these 89 year old patients but I took care of a lot of sick young people with the swine flu who I know survived because of this bed. And don't give me that crappy.about "who are you God". What a terrible attitude. Get out of health care. It's simple science.

Anonymous
09-05-2010, 05:19 PM
Who cares about Rotoprone. The beds business for KCI sucks.
More importantly KCI will be out of business now that they have set the stage for a massive law suit due to personal information being released of some 3000 employees.

Anonymous
09-06-2010, 09:39 PM
More importantly KCI will be out of business now that they have set the stage for a massive law suit due to personal information being released of some 3000 employees.

3000????? You obviously have not seen the list, try 4100!!!

Anonymous
09-11-2010, 01:44 AM

i care

Anonymous
09-16-2010, 03:06 AM
you all seem to forget what KCI was built on - Kinetic Therapy, the clue in in our Company name. Yes these beds are complicated, but so were Triadyne, Deltarest and the good old Rotarest. This one just got better but more complicated.... you US boys over-engineerd it from its original concept, but in an attempt to cover all the bases on the safety aspects. It left the UK at about 400 kgs and came back at a whopping 550 kgs - too big for the UK delivery vans! Nice one..... But one thing is for sure they all have helped save lives, and despite all the problems they may have had, everyone deserves the best chance to live, and we should be proud of the fact that we can at least offer something..... as far as turnaround time goes yes 3hrs at very best, but our worst was 4 days, and that was with no technical problems, just cleaning it..... as gravity takes fluids south as we all know, but when you have a bed that goes 360, it defies Einstein.....

Anonymous
09-24-2010, 04:00 PM
you all seem to forget what KCI was built on - Kinetic Therapy, the clue in in our Company name. Yes these beds are complicated, but so were Triadyne, Deltarest and the good old Rotarest. This one just got better but more complicated.... you US boys over-engineerd it from its original concept, but in an attempt to cover all the bases on the safety aspects. It left the UK at about 400 kgs and came back at a whopping 550 kgs - too big for the UK delivery vans! Nice one..... But one thing is for sure they all have helped save lives, and despite all the problems they may have had, everyone deserves the best chance to live, and we should be proud of the fact that we can at least offer something..... as far as turnaround time goes yes 3hrs at very best, but our worst was 4 days, and that was with no technical problems, just cleaning it..... as gravity takes fluids south as we all know, but when you have a bed that goes 360, it defies Einstein.....

You are an idiot! No such thing as a Rotarest or Deltarest, shut up jack ass.

Anonymous
10-10-2010, 05:48 PM
OMG!!!!did you hear about what happened in Phoenix?

Anonymous
10-12-2010, 09:59 PM

One incident does not define a product

Anonymous
10-28-2010, 12:17 AM
cold and flu season is on its way!!!!!Get ready for the madness

Anonymous
10-28-2010, 07:20 PM
cold and flu season is on its way!!!!!Get ready for the madness

how much do it cost

Anonymous
11-22-2010, 10:48 PM
how much do it cost

$1800 a day

Anonymous
11-23-2010, 09:26 AM
How much does one's life cost??

Anonymous
11-23-2010, 09:50 AM
Aprox 1 soul to satan.

Anonymous
12-23-2010, 11:23 AM
What a lazy person you are. I hope you have left the medical profession. Without a doubt my wife of 42 years would be dead today without the Roto-Prone bed. You bet it's labor intensive. What would your family member's life be worth to you? I see you are "anonymous." I can understant why do want to remain that way.

after 42 years I would think you want her dead

Anonymous
01-03-2011, 09:13 AM

Finally, someone with a heart!!!! If you people weren't so worried about money and having to actually work for your money, you would see what true "health care professionals" care about!!! If it were your daughter, son, parent, grandparent, etc.... would you put in the extra effort or hours even with a chance to possibly save their life???? If not, I'm glad your not my family!!!! Even the "MD"....things NEVER work perfect all of the time....and you should know that as an MD!!! Were you mad that you had to actually spend two hours at the pt's bedside????? Probably!!! In my opinion, if I or anyone else in my family got stuck in one...I would be thankful that EVERYTHING is being done to attempt to save a life!!!!! If I lived in that area, I would make sure my family doesn't use that MD that will not use the Rotoprone....I would want a chance to possibly make it...not lay there and drown in my own mucous!!!!!

Anonymous
01-04-2011, 10:19 PM
You are an idiot! No such thing as a Rotarest or Deltarest, shut up jack ass.

No, I believe YOU are the jack ass!!! Yes there is such a thing...the original beds were Rotorest and Deltarest!!! Do your company research before you run your stupid mouth!!!

Anonymous
01-04-2011, 10:57 PM
This is a service that looks good from a propagada standpoint (it's the right thing for the patient also) but our leadership struggles with how to manage it. DB has no idea of the landscape we are working in, therfore the propaganda will soon only be negative. DB and the founder of this firm couldn't be further appart in a belief structure, as DB no skin in the the game. The hope is that the technology is purchased and our structure can be a part of that.

Anonymous
01-05-2011, 10:23 PM
I work for the company that makes the Rotoprone and I do have to say that I find it very offensive that any of you are putting this bed down. It is a life saving device and who can put a price on saving someone's life. The bed isnt labor intensive. A person can be put on this bed and be ready for the therapy in about 30-60 minutes. I feel disgusted that there is someone out there in the world that is so negative that they are writing about how this bed should be stopped. What has this world come to!!!!!!

Do not believe that those people really work for KCI!!! The people saying those things work for the competition and are just trying to make KCI look bad so the can reap the benefits!!! It is a sad world that there are so many greedy people in this world and care more about money than human life!!! Trust me when I say KCI is an AWESOME company!!!!!!

Anonymous
01-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Do not believe that those people really work for KCI!!! The people saying those things work for the competition and are just trying to make KCI look bad so the can reap the benefits!!! It is a sad world that there are so many greedy people in this world and care more about money than human life!!! Trust me when I say KCI is an AWESOME company!!!!!!

no money in saving lives, this is a company and is about making money

Anonymous
01-11-2011, 02:03 PM

What

Anonymous
01-13-2011, 09:30 AM
Sounds like a lot of this positive is coming from a KCI rep.....Rotoproner is a nightmare for the patient and the nursing staff. If any therapy for preventing ARDS is instituted before the crutial 24 hour period of a patients negtive x-ray, or indications show that Rotational Therapy is needed and is instituted the recovery will most likely be close to the same as the rotoproner (minus the negative effects of pressure ulcers related to moisture, and strapping the patient in so tight). Initiate therapy early folks for positive results, don't wait until the x-ray is whited out to figure out you need to do something. Proning should only be used as a last ditch effort when grasping at straws for life. CLRT via any bed when initiated within 24 hours of intubation has been proven to stop VAP, the leading cause of ARDS!!!!!!!

Teri Washburn
01-24-2011, 09:49 PM
I am sorry so many of you dislike the amount of your precious time this bed uses. I am here today to write this thanks to the roto prone bed. When I arrived at the hospital, I was clinically dead. After being resisitated, I was taken to ICU. It is my understanding that within 30 minutes of being there, I was placed in the bed. I was given no chance of making it through that night, much less the next. I was on a vent for 21 days and then was given a traechotomy. All of this was caused by H1N1, pneumonia, and ultimately ARDS. I was in the hospital for eight weeks, before going to rehab. I spent another 2 months in rehab. I am so grateful to God, and to the most wonderful, patient doctors and nurses who are in their profession because they care about people. My family told me of the hundreds of hours the ICU nurses and my doctors spent tirelessly by my bedside. I am so grateful Baptist Hospital in Oklahoma City had the forethought to spend the money for this bed. I was recently rehospitalized for the same thing; not one of the ICU nurses or my doctor complained about the amount of time they spent with me; in fact they told me it was a privilege. I am a miracle, thanks to the rotoprone bed.

Anonymous
01-24-2011, 11:09 PM
Great therapy, too bad we can't ship it to our customer ....free. Tomorrow looks are ugly for this offering. We aren't seeing 51% return on our servicesas in other divisions.

Anonymous
01-26-2011, 12:06 AM
does anyone REALLY care if these people live or die? I work for a paycheck and a life, not to help other people

Anonymous
02-03-2011, 08:25 PM
money is good on them, but they are always broken or breaking under a patient

Anonymous
02-10-2011, 07:42 PM
My cousin just had a baby. They both left the hospital healthy and normal. In less then 24 hours later she was rushed to the emergency room not able to breath. She has been in a medically induced comma since then. She has been code blue twice. She has been in the Rotoprone bed for five days now. I am hoping she makes it out of this. She has a newborn baby that needs her. Can anyone give me hope she will pull threw?

Anonymous
02-12-2011, 04:59 PM
My cousin just had a baby. They both left the hospital healthy and normal. In less then 24 hours later she was rushed to the emergency room not able to breath. She has been in a medically induced comma since then. She has been code blue twice. She has been in the Rotoprone bed for five days now. I am hoping she makes it out of this. She has a newborn baby that needs her. Can anyone give me hope she will pull threw?

Sorry about your cousin, hope she gets better. But just to make sure I understand what you are thinking. She goes on a Rotorprone, so you do a search for Rotorprone and find a site titled "Explain why Rotorprone Sucks", and decide that this is the place to come seek medical advice???? Are you kidding. or is this serious? You should probably ask her doctor or Respiratory therapist and not people on a blog. Very many angry or stupid people here with little of no medical expertise.

Anonymous
02-15-2011, 03:30 PM

Try putting the baby in there with her, that sounds like a good idea.

Anonymous
02-21-2011, 05:10 PM
I HATE BEING ON CALL- I did not sign up for this crap as a professional sales person!

Anonymous
02-28-2011, 04:15 PM

ouch.....

Tom Parissi
03-05-2011, 06:08 PM
I do not know why I'm on this post except to learn both sides of the rotoprone 24. My 30 year old daughter with CP now has ards and has been in a medically induced coma for five days and is using this bed. Without it she probably would not be alive at this time and although we do not know her outcome, we can only state that the medical staff is doing everyhing they can. They have only used this bed once before with great results. They have not had any problems and the KCI technicians have been great.

Anonymous
03-05-2011, 11:25 PM
I do not know why I'm on this post except to learn both sides of the rotoprone 24. My 30 year old daughter with CP now has ards and has been in a medically induced coma for five days and is using this bed. Without it she probably would not be alive at this time and although we do not know her outcome, we can only state that the medical staff is doing everyhing they can. They have only used this bed once before with great results. They have not had any problems and the KCI technicians have been great.

Glad she did not die. You probably need a new doc and hospital if the bed is the reason she is alive. Your caregivers should be doing that

Anonymous
03-29-2011, 05:06 PM
are things going good with the rotorprone?

Anonymous
03-30-2011, 09:04 AM
How is first step select doing?

Anonymous
03-30-2011, 06:47 PM
My dad had the flu last week. Ended up with double pneumonia, septic shock and his internal organs were shutting down. 2 days ago he couldn't breathe on his own without releasing the proper gases he was supposed to. They got him in the rotoprone and he is at least stablized right now. Prior to being in this contraption they did not expect him to make it. I give the nurses and Dr's who may no "Make enough to deal with this Sh**" as someone said earlier, my entire gratitude. Had it not been for this bed I would no longer have my dad. Every product has an issue. There is no such thing as perfection. Products are going to fail and not EVERYONE will have a positive outcome from this bed. However I am so very thankful that it exists.

Anonymous
03-31-2011, 12:54 AM

not much change but better than rotorprone

Anonymous
04-10-2011, 03:52 PM
I see a bunch of people who need to be bitch slapped.

My father just got out of his Rotoprone. As they were putting him in the bed, we got the "any friends and family who want to see him need to get here now" speech. He was in the bed for nearly two weeks, and he would be deceased today if not for this bed. Every single medical treatment available for any ailment has risks and rewards. This bed is no different.

Within hours of him getting in/on the bed, a KCI rep was there to answer any questions of staff or his family. Contact information was left behind with the instruction that we could call day or night, 24/7. So don't give me this line of BS that the reps don't care.

For the nursing staff- you get paid by the hour. STFU and do your job. If a life saving device such as this is too time consuming for you, maybe emergency and critical care medicine isn't for you. I'll tell you- he has had wonderful nurses who haven't bitched at all, and that's the difference- some of you are selfish and only thinking of your own wallet while some people are in this line of work to save lives.

Anonymous
04-10-2011, 08:37 PM

they are still pretty cool and work most of the time

Anonymous
04-11-2011, 09:31 AM
they are still pretty cool and work most of the time

are they still available in 3 models and are those models ever utilized

Anonymous
04-12-2011, 08:12 PM
The RotoProne can do amazing things to people the real problem is the staff is to lazy to learn about the machine. The Rep needs to babysit the machine due to the laziness on the nurses. Kaiser is the worst of all the hospitals then the county facilities from there.

Charging the hospital $1295 a day whether or not they use the machine. The biggest issue is getting one that works properly and can be delivered by the service reps.

Its a good product but it sucks being on-call and inservicing medical staff 24/7 with no support.

Anonymous
04-13-2011, 12:06 AM

Dear Sir or Madame,
The Rotoprone is a wonderful, life saving, under utilized therapy for ARDS as well as other severe pulm complications. I am a nurse, employed by KCI and have seen this bed absolutely turn things around for many patients. I am beyond embarassed and ashamed of the garbage posted on this site. I personally have not heard this type of vile language spewed by any of my team members so I dont know if this is coming from KCI reps or not. I do feel that the hospitals wait too long before they use the RP but that is not my call. To you and all of the other family members that stumble on this mess when you are simply looking for information on RP, I apologize. This is nothing more than a crack pot blog. Good luck to your daughter

Anonymous
04-13-2011, 08:41 AM
are they still available in 3 models and are those models ever utilized

mostly just the regular one but our literature still has the other two so they must still exist

Anonymous
04-14-2011, 04:09 PM
mostly just the regular one but our literature still has the other two so they must still exist

they do and are solid performers

Anonymous
04-28-2011, 03:22 AM
Yes, this may be a great life saving device for many many people. However, knowing how Corporate greed and R&D creating a monster with faulty parts and software to save a buck and get a product to market half baked, I can see how there can be some complaints. People are praising nurses that went the extra mile for their folks and calling others lazy. How do you know they haven't been going the extra miles for numerous dying patients and are running out of energy to have to deal with a faulty device while someone's life hangs on the edge.
I worked for a well known company and our new product was put out with so many bugs they had to have daily meetings just to sort out the extensive list that was continually growing with each new user coming on board. I had to work with Hospital Personnel at all levels to get the hunk of crap to work. Yes it was an excellent product and the users loved it but when it failed it took so much work at both ends just to get it right. This is all while a patient may be alarming and the staff can do fine without the product, it has now become a giant paperwight and is in the way of Medical attention.

Anonymous
05-07-2011, 09:40 PM
give me a break!

Anonymous
07-26-2011, 02:02 PM
what do you think the new owners will do with the RotorProne

Anonymous
07-26-2011, 02:12 PM
Roast whole chickens

HOLLIE POWELL
08-12-2011, 02:25 PM
ON NOV 18,2010 I WENT IN TO THE ER FOR WHAT I THOUGHT WAS A SIMPLE COLD TWO WEEKS LATER MY MOM AND HUSBAND WAS TOLD I HAD H1N1 AND DOUBLE CASE OF PNEUMONIA I WAS IN A COMA AT THAT POINT I WAS ON A ROTOPRONE BED FOR 2 MONTHS I REALLY BELIEVE THIS BED IS WHAT SAVED MY LIFE.H1N1 IS NOTHING TO PLAY WITH I HAD TO LEARN HOW TO TALK AND WALK EAT USE MY HANDS ALL OVER AGAIN IF IT HAD NOT BEEN FOR THIS BED KEEPING ME FACEDOWN 18 HOURS OUT THE DAY I WOULDNT BE HERE TODAY SO YES I BELIEVE IN THESE BEDS I WAS 29 WHEN THIS HAPPEN THIS HAS BEEN A MAJOR LIFE CHANGE FOR ME AND I PRAY TO GOD EVERYDAY FOR THAT BECAUSE I REALLY BELIEVE THAT IT IS WHAT SAVED ME..

Anonymous
08-12-2011, 05:48 PM

This is the thing about Rotoprone - reps spend all their time trying to get a placement and their let the rest of the products go. This product is too labor intensive and the staff might use it in most hospital every once in a while. But the money is good if you get it placed. I made more money pushing all product lines making my numbers. But watch out for a district manager who knows nothing on what we do in the rental market like mine is currently - she pushes service and pisses everyone off - stay away from the East Coast of KCI surface. Everyone is looking for another job.

Anonymous
08-13-2011, 09:33 AM
ON NOV 18,2010 I WENT IN TO THE ER FOR WHAT I THOUGHT WAS A SIMPLE COLD TWO WEEKS LATER MY MOM AND HUSBAND WAS TOLD I HAD H1N1 AND DOUBLE CASE OF PNEUMONIA I WAS IN A COMA AT THAT POINT I WAS ON A ROTOPRONE BED FOR 2 MONTHS I REALLY BELIEVE THIS BED IS WHAT SAVED MY LIFE.H1N1 IS NOTHING TO PLAY WITH I HAD TO LEARN HOW TO TALK AND WALK EAT USE MY HANDS ALL OVER AGAIN IF IT HAD NOT BEEN FOR THIS BED KEEPING ME FACEDOWN 18 HOURS OUT THE DAY I WOULDNT BE HERE TODAY SO YES I BELIEVE IN THESE BEDS I WAS 29 WHEN THIS HAPPEN THIS HAS BEEN A MAJOR LIFE CHANGE FOR ME AND I PRAY TO GOD EVERYDAY FOR THAT BECAUSE I REALLY BELIEVE THAT IT IS WHAT SAVED ME..

Isn't it amazing how no patients or their families come to any other thread on any other CP site to comment on the value of a product except this one and they do it over and over

Anonymous
11-17-2011, 10:10 AM
I servived legionnaires disease cause of the bed!

Anonymous
11-23-2011, 03:56 PM
I servived legionnaires disease cause of the bed!

I survived hemorhoids

Anonymous
01-21-2012, 11:09 PM
My 22 year old cousin suffered a broken neck in a car accident 7 days ago, and developed pneumonia last night. She was put into one of these beds today, and already her 101 degree has dropped and the amount of air being given to her through a ventilator has been reduced from 100 to 60. Just as a lot of us were beginning to feel hopeless, this bed gave us a reason to hope. After reading the posts at the beginning of this thread, I am assuming that the bed has improved since those posts in 2007, and am hoping for a recovery for her.

bike wreck dad
04-15-2012, 12:27 PM
With my daughter"s blood pressure at 40 over 50 and one and a half collapsed lungs she was a canidate for a heart lung bypass machine plan "C", after counseling with doctors in Ypsilanti, Mi. and Columbus Childrens, and the risk of transport. Her doctors at Miami Valley tried plan "B" which was proning.You Guys want to complain about labor intensive, try doing it manually, without the help of the Rotoprone bed !!! Because of her leg being in traction from a broken femur . Let me briefly Explain manual proning, it took a team of 5 to 7 nurses and doctors a half an hour to flip her manually with all of her I.V."s , monitor wires , repirator aparatus, leg in traction, ever 2 hours on her stomach and every 4 hours on her back for a week !!!!!!! The results her blood pressure instantly improved after the first round of proning, she was taken out of her induced comma, had her femur and shattered elbow fixed, taken off the respirator in 10 days, out of I.C.U. in13 days ,and after pyshical therapy, she came home after 23 daysin the hospital!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She returned to school 6 months later her sophmore year!!!!!!!!!!!!!She graduated and is now attending college!!!!!!!!!!!She is a living miracle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I Thank GOD she didn"t have you lazy guys taking care of her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous
04-15-2012, 04:30 PM
With my daughter"s blood pressure at 40 over 50 and one and a half collapsed lungs she was a canidate for a heart lung bypass machine plan "C", after counseling with doctors in Ypsilanti, Mi. and Columbus Childrens, and the risk of transport. Her doctors at Miami Valley tried plan "B" which was proning.You Guys want to complain about labor intensive, try doing it manually, without the help of the Rotoprone bed !!! Because of her leg being in traction from a broken femur . Let me briefly Explain manual proning, it took a team of 5 to 7 nurses and doctors a half an hour to flip her manually with all of her I.V."s , monitor wires , repirator aparatus, leg in traction, ever 2 hours on her stomach and every 4 hours on her back for a week !!!!!!! The results her blood pressure instantly improved after the first round of proning, she was taken out of her induced comma, had her femur and shattered elbow fixed, taken off the respirator in 10 days, out of I.C.U. in13 days ,and after pyshical therapy, she came home after 23 daysin the hospital!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She returned to school 6 months later her sophmore year!!!!!!!!!!!!!She graduated and is now attending college!!!!!!!!!!!She is a living miracle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I Thank GOD she didn"t have you lazy guys taking care of her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to hear about the positive outcome.

Smart service reps love the Roto-prone. Try shipping that via UPS.

Be careful on that bike.

Anonymous
04-17-2012, 12:42 AM

Dear Bike Wreck Dad,
PLEASE BELIEVE that there are wonderful KCI Reps and nurses out here in the field that do not think, act or behave like the crackpots on this site. I have seen many a critical patient turn around after being put into the Rotoprone. The biggest problem with the bed is that the majority of clinicians wait far to long to put it to use. They will tell you "that the studies down show a decrease in mortality" Well, maybe if it was utilized proactively instead of a last ditch effort ??? And the "morbidity" they do not seem to care as much about, as long as they get them out of the ICU alive, they do not seem to care if the patients are short a few brain cells or not due to the hypoxemia.

Anonymous
09-26-2012, 03:58 PM
Sorry the rotoprone is too labor intensive for us nurses. Especially when we have to triple up. Its not fair one person has to get so much labor. Maybe the family need to come in and help if they want these damn beds so bad. ARDS is God telling you something. hello

Anonymous
09-27-2012, 07:07 AM
Sorry the rotoprone is too labor intensive for us nurses. Especially when we have to triple up. Its not fair one person has to get so much labor. Maybe the family need to come in and help if they want these damn beds so bad. ARDS is God telling you something. hello

If you are a nurse, first you should shut the fuck up; secondly quit your job; and third get a job you are capable of. You are despicable, and proning has a place in the treatment of ARDS and proning via rotoprone vs. manual proning is a million times easier.
If you think using the Rotoprone is too labor intensive, it's because you are lazy and not willing to learn something new. FYI, I've seen plenty of capable ICU nurses unlike yourself manage their patients and this bed together without breaking a sweat. Maybe that's GOD telling you something.
How dare you come on this site and tell people to give up. I've seen ARDS if treated in a timely manner, cured on many, many, many occasions. It is not uncommon and you are asking people to give their lives up because you are too fucking stupid and lazy to want to heal patients. Once again, if nursing is about you and not the patients, then you need to find another career.

I don't work for KCI anymore. I'm actually a nurse who has transitioned successfully to sales in the med. device industry. I've always wondered why people have stereotyped nurses as fat, stupid and lazy. I certainly don't know what your body type is like but you certainly fit the mold for two out of the three.

Anonymous
05-31-2013, 11:27 AM
cost is way too high, we've recently used them on a couple patients, both eventually CTB anyway, and we had to pay the company more for the use of the beds then medicare paid us for their entire stays. thus we got no payment to cover any of the other services, drugs or nurses time tending to these patients. and people wonder why healthcare is so outrageous. it is the cost of services to these outside vendors that prevent facilities from being able to maintain reasonable costs.

Anonymous
05-31-2013, 05:50 PM
KCI is no longer in the therapeutic bed therapy business.
The division was sold off to another medical company last
by The APAX Consortium, the EQUITY GROUP that purchased
KCI in 2011.
Any issues/complaints/compliments regarding the former beds
provided by KCI need to be redirected.

My opinion about the above I will keep to myself. I do have an
opinion about about ARDS however. First and foremost it is still
recognized/acknowledged/diagnosed and treated FAR TOO LATE!!
There is no good excuse for this and it's certainly not 100% of the
time but maybe ZERO reimbursement will finally change that ?

Anonymous
07-17-2013, 01:18 PM

The Roto Prone saved my son's Life, You are in the wrong profession if your priority is wages you earn ....you should be more concerned about saving lives....or get another job.

Anonymous
07-17-2013, 01:49 PM
The Roto Prone saved my son's Life, You are in the wrong profession if your priority is wages you earn ....you should be more concerned about saving lives....or get another job.

We have to get PAID to save your son's life!

Talk to a doctor about wages fat head.

markwwwwwwwwwwwwww
12-30-2013, 11:49 AM
My sister contracted H1N1 a week and a half ago, double pneumonia, and all the rest. She also has Downs Syndrome. She "walked" into the ER with blood saturation levels around 35 (oxygen in her blood?, I'm not a Doctor), anyway, its a miracle she wasn't on the floor yet. This bed saved her life. She was just taken out of the bed yesterday. I don't doubt there are problems with this device, but we are obviously grateful for its existence.
As for the nurses, I have been in hospitals with amazing staff and people who should probably be doing something else (Doctors and Nurses included). How is that any different than any other occupation? You have people who are going to complain no matter the circumstances and those who truly do it out of love. As long as each of the people above continue to take care of their patients I don't mind a little attitude. We would all like to be paid more, no matter what we do. I'm sure a lot of patients in the hospital system can be rude and unthankful, but they aren't having their best day either.
Thank you to those who cared for my sister through the holidays, including Christmas day!

Anonymous
01-11-2014, 02:02 AM
My sister contracted H1N1 a week and a half ago, double pneumonia, and all the rest. She also has Downs Syndrome. She "walked" into the ER with blood saturation levels around 35 (oxygen in her blood?, I'm not a Doctor), anyway, its a miracle she wasn't on the floor yet. This bed saved her life. She was just taken out of the bed yesterday. I don't doubt there are problems with this device, but we are obviously grateful for its existence.
As for the nurses, I have been in hospitals with amazing staff and people who should probably be doing something else (Doctors and Nurses included). How is that any different than any other occupation? You have people who are going to complain no matter the circumstances and those who truly do it out of love. As long as each of the people above continue to take care of their patients I don't mind a little attitude. We would all like to be paid more, no matter what we do. I'm sure a lot of patients in the hospital system can be rude and unthankful, but they aren't having their best day either.
Thank you to those who cared for my sister through the holidays, including Christmas day!

KCI is a great company, and yet the Rotoprone is supplied by KCI no more. It is now distributed by a company called ARJOHUNTLEIGH.

Happy to hear of positive outcome.