Why don't some of the older employees retire?

Discussion in 'Sanofi' started by Anonymous, May 25, 2011 at 9:29 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

As I look around our company I see so many older SPs and DSMs who are at or beyond retirement age. Why are you still holding spots when you have the money to retire and can start getting your pensions (not to mention rolling your 401k into an annuity)? I realize you were (and maybe still) a top producer but you are keeping jobs that could be filled by people who need a job and were displaced because of "business rules" and not performance. Please consider retiring and helping the people you once mentored and called friends.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You ever considered that some people can't afford to retire?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

As one who is retired, I'll venture why some are still working. It's because they have nothing else in their lives. After worrying about whether you have enough money to live on, the greatest fear is not having anything to occupy your time.

If it's working another job at less pay or volunteering your time or developing a time-consuming hobby, go for it. Unless you weren't grandfathered to one of the excellent pensions from legacy companies, you will adjust nicely to the financial commitment.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

And, I will give you another perspective. Been here thirty-plus years, could do this in my sleep (or, more aptly, in my spare time), great benefits, opportunity to sock a shitload of money away and out of my current taxable income, paid for automobile/gas/insurance, six weeks of vacation, plus time off officially at Christmas, not to mention Holidays and personal days (and now, sick days that you may as well take) with multiple partners to help take up the 'load' and a manager that is wet behind the ears and clueless...

And you want to know why I DON'T want to give this up ALONG with a six figure income and twenty grand bonus?? Sorry, go find another teat to suck on...

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My three decades in this industry have bred very expensive habits. For example, after the Royal Wedding earlier this month I went out and bought a 2011 Aston Martin Rapide for $199,000 after I saw the happy couple drive off in one. I'm divorced, and I figure if that chickmobile gets me a woman half as attractive as Kate then I'll be in good shape. Vacation homes in Kiawah island and Vail CO don't come cheap either.

A rising tide will lift your boat too, so just hang in there and fantasize about all of the girlfriends your riches will pay for while your 50-60 year old wife wilts on the vine in a few years.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are the kind of jerk this company doesn't need. Even if your numbers are good, your holier than thou attitude is like a cancer. Even if your numbers are great, the aura you give off to new reps has to be nauseating.

Exactly how much money do you need? You ain't gonna bring it with you, whenever this life ends. Do others and yourself a favor and get out of here.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yeah, just your typical long-term rep, right?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Why should I retire when I can have it all. That might seem greedy, but let me explain--I put a lot of blood, sweat, & tears, not to mention the major travels I had with this company. The one thing that I am thankful for is that whenever I traveled, I made the right connections I am now using for my vacation trips, etc.

I have four (4) beautiful homes (2 summer/2 winter): 2 in Europe/2 in the States. I have just purchased a 2011 JAGUAR XLJ as a second car. I am excellent health, AND WHEN & IF I DECIDE TO WORK, I DO IT ON MY TIME. The ONLY restrictions I have are when there are company meetings, at which time, I put on a suit & wear a tie & look the part of the complete professional that I am.

I love how I'm doing--my financial advisors & tax consultant agree with me, so why in the world would I give up all of the above, along with a six-figure income I can grab without too much fanfare & no commitment.

I always have had the docs eating out of my hand, and I'm going to keep this "gig" going for as long as possible.

So, my advice to you, PIPSQUEAK, is to rattle someone else's cage.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Look's like I did a good job rattling your cage, birdbrain. I don't agree with any of your reasons for staying on. You're a fucking greedy bastard and truly do not represent what I know of most long-tenured reps.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am the poster you responded to and I just laugh at you and your own cancer-like attitude - move over so others will have a chance? My ass! I have worked long and hard at this job turning it successfully into a career that has rewarded me well. Want the same? Then go out and do your job, every day, as I have for the past thirty years, and if you do it AS WELL as I have then you may have the same benefits that I am now reaping. And then maybe some dipshit flunkie will be after YOU to retire and get out of HIS way, and you can laugh at him just as I now laugh at you.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No 5 again agreeing with no. 10. Also worked my ass off for three decades so that I can blow smoke in the faces of the self-entitled pipsqueaks from my $125 Cohibas until the box runs out. Then I'm going to buy another box so that they can all choke on my fine smoke and leave this business to the professionals like us, which they should have done in the first place before hair gel and push up bras became business attire.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey No. 15 (5 and 10), you made your point and the fact you have to respond multiple times reaffirms what a loser you are. You may think you're on top of the world right now but people like you sink fast. We'll all be watching to see you get what you deserve. Enjoy your life now while the clock is ticking.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What salary range are these long-term employees making? Serious replies please. Just curious.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Read the posts again. #5 was my post and #10 was my reply - there is no multiplicity here, only follow-up and clarification. And I am NOT at the top of the world right now. I WAS, when I was the only rep in my territory and I alone was responsible for, and credited with, the business I generated. I WAS when I was recognized as the representative of this company in the minds and eyes of the physicians, providers and staff that we called on. I WAS when I worked for a company with competent, trustworthy leadership that put customers and patients first, and did not have to spend all day TALKING about it because it simply was. But not now. Now I am simply an overpaid delivery person with samples to give away because this organization has moved me around so often in the last four years with changes in therapeutic areas, managers, priorities and territories, that I have no office that I have any call continuity with at all. Now I simply play the game on the computer like so many others do, to get by and make our manager look good in the eyes of HIS manager. So, I will take my salary, and my vacation time, and I will hope for your "sink fast - get what I deserve" that will provide me with a severance payment for a year and a half and nearly 200K...plus benefits continuation. And, like I said, I will continue to laugh...but not because it is funny, I can assure you.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OOPS, I meant #4 (not #5) was my post and #10 was my reply.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am one who also has a length of service that would allow me to retire with a good financial and insurance package. In fact, I having been saying for some time that when we are going through all the "rightsizing" downturns that there should be a retirement option. It doesn't have to be open to everyone. Make the offer available to those say with 25+ years of service. This would allow me and many others to take a package, be financially ok with the Knowledge that I also helped save a job position for a younger rep with a family to support. The unfortunate situation is that Irace says the company wants to be able to retain what they consider to be quality reps and and look, it seems its us older reps. We the multiple
    award winners, the ones who have survived ALL the recent downsizings, who have not had the poor ratings and can get along with multiple crying teammates HUMMMM

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Why don`t the young mindless and talentless reps just quit?

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Let's see. You are among the highest paid reps in the company and you want the company to offer you a retirement severence on top of the hefty pension you're getting. Dream on.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Try spending less time with hair gel, 35 button suits, and over sized watches and spend a little time looking for a company with a future? And we have been semi-retired for years.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you want to know the real truth just ask someone who is retired. Health insurance is $1000 per/month for you and your spouse. Depending on your legacy, retirement can be as little as $1800 per/month. With the stock market crash of 2008 your 401k could have been hit pretty hard. Sanofi-Aventis has pretty rotten retirement benefits compared to other top tier companies. And for some who retired with me and didn't prepare outside the job, it could be very hard to get buy plus your standard of living does go done. Don't beleive all HR says about how much they care. Sanofi is not a people person company!!!!!!