I'm a 52 year old unemployed ..... am I too old to get hired!

Discussion in 'Industry Veterans' started by Anonymous, Aug 18, 2005 at 1:48 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I\'m a 52 year old unemployed ..... am I too old to get hired!

Question: I'm a 52 year old unemployed manager who keeps being asked in interviews, 'don't you think you're overqualified for this position?' Am I too old to be considered for positions similar to the ones I've held? Will I ever get a job offer? Suggestions?

Answer: Emotions, questioning and second guessing ourselves play a role as we experience and work through any major life change - especially a job change. So what you're feeling is very common and completely natural.

As we're forced to take a close and honest look at ourselves, our challenge is to fully appreciate such things as our experience, industry knowledge, skills, contacts, etc, etc. Time or age allows us to collect this background. Get the picture? Age is a prerequisite for experience and this accumulated background is what you can potentially contribute now. As you list and believe in your unique features, and as you talk with others about this background, your energy will naturally transform from self doubt to enthusiasm.

Job search is challenging, because we can only control our side of the equation. We can only assume what employers are thinking as they ask for applications or ask questions in interviews. Our job is to match our background with what we understand is required by the employers we are speaking with. When we're used to contributing, it becomes frustrating the longer we're 'on the bench' watching the game and not being asked to participate. Sometimes positions fall in our lap and at times a search can take a while. The longer we're between opportunities, the more prone we are to come up with rationales for why we're not working. Again, these are our assumptions. If confirmed over and over they may be true. But instead of asking for feedback, we find all sorts of reasons to beat ourselves up and justify why we're not working. Age is a commonly chosen element.

Eli, a very close family friend, was an acknowledged, award-winning top producer locally with Investors Group as he continued to work into his 80's. He began this chapter of his career at age 56! I've worked with clients who at age 66 weren't prepared to call it quits and retire. These individuals focussed on the value they contributed, what they did well and wished to continue doing, where they'd be appreciated and continuing to be recognized for what they do. They found a good match and so will you.

You're being invited for interviews, so employers recognize your potential fit with their needs. "Don't you think you're over qualified?" is a question that may be quite literal or code. In any event what they may really be asking is "this position is junior to what you've done and will you stay even once you learn about better opportunities?" They may also really be saying "all we can pay you is less than what we think you were making, so you couldn't possibly be interested." My suggestion for responding to this question is to energetically say, in your own words, something like "Thank you for recognizing my experience. I do bring a background that will allow me to make immediate contributions. At the same time I know that I always have things to learn so look forward to taking on this role and developing in this position and within your company." They may be asking just to see how you overcome objections or to see if you'll reveal your insecurities. Age will be a factor if you allow it to be. Focus on what age has allowed you to acquire. Rather than apologizing, allow others to understand the benefits of what you now offer. Good luck and have fun on your search.
    © Right Management Consultants 2005

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: I\'m a 52 year old unemployed ..... am I too old to get hired!

OP, thought of this web when I read this. It reminds me that it is important to get the thoughts of experts before going into interviews. You get the interview, and maybe your assumptions about age kill your chances, you kill yourself. Here is a good qoute from the article...

"Thank you for recognizing my experience. I do bring a background that will allow me to make immediate contributions."

That says it all in my opinion.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are NOT to old. Have your checked PDI pharma sales.
    You may have a better chance with this company.
    Keep pluging away and you will get hired, especially in your home town.

Good Luck

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

As a rep? Yes, age discrimination is rampant. PDI is probably the best that you can do.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That is not necessarily true, the pendulum is swinging back to credibility and experience. As Physicians grow tired of some 26 year old yapping in their ear that "doctor you NEED to write this product" they hard close and don't even earn the right to close with a consultative approach. The only reason a manager or company may hire a younger person is if they are taking the military approach to managing. It's a proven fact that the older more experienced person would not take it nor is that an appropriate style of management for an experienced person. In addition, with sometime younger managers comming into play they feel very intimidated by age and experience. You never want to know more than your boss.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well - I think you should ALWAYS kow more than your boss - just don't throw it in their faces. I better know more about my product, my customers, reimbursement... because my job doesn't deal with personnel issues within a district. If you are lucky enough to have a great DM they will value what you know that adds to the group. If they are threatened by your knowledge you don't want to work there!

Another thing I think the "don't you think you're overqualified?" may be asking is - do you think you kow everything about this job, or do you understand the industry is changing quickly and there is always more to learn? Are you willing to learn and adapt?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

sorry - know not kow...

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

A very long time age... I worked for a company that had high base pay and almost no bonus. When looking for the next job, I found most companies assumed I wouldn't be happy with the base pay they could offer. Once I knew the issue I would be sure and mention that I preferred more of the pay to be in terms of bonus, because then I felt more rewarded for my efforts...

Likewise - I may be reading in to this, but it sounds like you were a DM and now are interviewing for rep jobs? Are they concerned you won't be happy as a rep after being at a higher job level? Two possible ways to address this - "I loved management and would like to return to a DM position, but feel it is critical to work as a sales rep first to really understand the day to day issue the sales force faces"; or "I enjoyed being a DM, but missed - really knowing the customers; - the level of clinical knowledge I had as a rep; - "knowing I had made a sale when I had a great call"... Selling 101 - address the issue up front so the call can proceed!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, you are too damn old to get back into pharma. At 52 years old, no one wants to see your old wrinkly ass coming in pushing pills. You should have prepared like the generation is doing now. I am 28 years old, make over 160K in specialty pharma, have 2 franchises making over 100K a year in profit. I am sick of you old farts saying poor me, I got laid off. Get a backbone and get out there and make something of yourselves. You can't wait for things to come to you, you have to go get it. I work my ass off and have a contingincy plan to retire by 50 so I don't have to worry about this crap. Should have prepared yourself instead of depending on someone else for your future. Freakin' old people amaze me, get a life!!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

first of all 52 is not old, that was the most callous posting I have ever read. I hope that someone shows more compassion for you when you reach 50 (which by the way will come faster than you think) Is that the same respect you show your offices? Your older physicians? Your parents?
    very sad.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes, you are too damn old to get back into pharma. At 52 years old, no one wants to see your old wrinkly ass coming in pushing pills. You should have prepared like the generation is doing now. I am 28 years old, make over 160K in specialty pharma, have 2 franchises making over 100K a year in profit. I am sick of you old farts saying poor me, I got laid off. Get a backbone and get out there and make something of yourselves. You can't wait for things to come to you, you have to go get it. I work my ass off and have a contingincy plan to retire by 50 so I don't have to worry about this crap. Should have prepared yourself instead of depending on someone else for your future. Freakin' old people amaze me, get a life!!

[/ QUOTE ] You are too young to even have a firm grasp on reality. With your attitude, you had better be saving, because no one will keep your mouthy little butt around very long. Idiots like you get what they deserve...And all of us that are 50+ have seen it over and over. To the OP...Got the best job of my career at 50. Now in medical device blowing out the little dipsh_t above in money. Check it out. It is a totally different level of selling (and respect). And they APPRECIATE age and EXPERIENCE. You just need to find the right match. Lots of companies with lots of products. Best part...they wouldn't touch the little twit above [​IMG]

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

1)Age is a prerequisite for experience

2) match our background with what we understand is required by the employers
    3) But instead of asking for feedback, we find all sorts of reasons to beat ourselves up and justify why we're not working. Age is a commonly chosen element.
    4) Eli, a very close family friend, was an acknowledged, award-winning top producer locally with Investors Group as he continued to work into his 80's. He began this chapter of his career at age 56!

ou're being invited for interviews, so employers recognize your potential fit with their needs.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not only an idiot, but a liar too! There is noone your age or with your very minimal experience making that kind of money as you say you are. Most 20 somethings, and little brat, you're one of them, are NOT concerned about their financial/professional future, because your parents are still supporting you--you're part of that generation where both parents worked, and out of guilt for not spending time with you, they bought you everything. So, don't get on this board, spouting off your juvenile bullsh**, because no one is buying it. Also, your generation not only lacks responsibility, accountability, but respect as well. If you are as successful as you claim (and we know that anybody can say anything, especially when your anonymous) then you would be counting your blessings instead of badmouthing people. You're such an asshole [​IMG]

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not only an idiot, but a liar too! There is noone your age or with your very minimal experience making that kind of money as you say you are. Most 20 somethings, and little brat, you're one of them, are NOT concerned about their financial/professional future, because your parents are still supporting you--you're part of that generation where both parents worked, and out of guilt for not spending time with you, they bought you everything. So, don't get on this board, spouting off your juvenile bullsh**, because no one is buying it. Also, your generation not only lacks responsibility, accountability, but respect as well. If you are as successful as you claim (and we know that anybody can say anything, especially when your anonymous) then you would be counting your blessings instead of badmouthing people. You're such an asshole [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. If this liar supposedly owns 2 franchises, I bet he got Mommy, Daddy, or Grandpa to invest because they know this loser can't make it without their help. LOOOOSER!!!!!

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey old farts, instead of hating about my success on this board, go out and get a job and quit complaining! Is that what I have to look forward to when I am 50? Being so old and crusty that I complain all the time and wonder, why me? You are the ones in the grocery store that complain about how long the lines are to me? I always say, go ahead of me, I am not in any rush, and then you think to yourselves, your right, all I have to do today is be angry, watch Oprah, and wish I would have prepared like the 28 year old did. Here is a quick lesson for your kids to be successful like me. Go to college, get a good degree, intern with a pharmaceutical company, start out as a rep at 22 years old, work your ass off, blow out your numbers, invest your money, open up 2 successful franchises by 25 years old with the invested money, max out your 401K and pension, move on to a speciality oncology biotech opportunity, prepare with a financial planner to retire by 50, wait to get married and have kids until you are 30 so you are financially secure. Why didn't your parents teach you that? It is not that hard you old farts! Give me a break, you guys disgust me. Go get it out there!! You will never be successful sitting on you old wrinkly asses complaining on this board!! Go into device or something!! Geeeesssseee!!! I can't believe I have to be the parent now!

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey old farts, instead of hating about my success on this board, go out and get a job and quit complaining! Is that what I have to look forward to when I am 50? Being so old and crusty that I complain all the time and wonder, why me? You are the ones in the grocery store that complain about how long the lines are to me? I always say, go ahead of me, I am not in any rush, and then you think to yourselves, your right, all I have to do today is be angry, watch Oprah, and wish I would have prepared like the 28 year old did. Here is a quick lesson for your kids to be successful like me. Go to college, get a good degree, intern with a pharmaceutical company, start out as a rep at 22 years old, work your ass off, blow out your numbers, invest your money, open up 2 successful franchises by 25 years old with the invested money, max out your 401K and pension, move on to a speciality oncology biotech opportunity, prepare with a financial planner to retire by 50, wait to get married and have kids until you are 30 so you are financially secure. Why didn't your parents teach you that? It is not that hard you old farts! Give me a break, you guys disgust me. Go get it out there!! You will never be successful sitting on you old wrinkly asses complaining on this board!! Go into device or something!! Geeeesssseee!!! I can't believe I have to be the parent now!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're sooooo successful and busy like a bee, feverishly preparing for your early retirement, then WHY are you on this board early in the afternoon??? Thought you were important, with lots to do, big business deals to make, and important people to talk to!!! NOT!! I CAN afford to check out and read these posts, because I HAVE retired wealthy, and before 50. So, to amuse myself today, I just thought I'd "kill some time"to see what's being posted. Unlike you, you are an idiot, a big liar, and, probably barely making ends meet. That's why you're still in pharma sales. Juveniles like you are what destroyed what was once an honorable profession. Now, its your ilk(get a dictionary, because you probably don't know what this means), that have created the Ken & Barbie Show featuring donuts and pizza.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Silly...silly boy, now make sure you polish the crome better, and clean under my car seats. He is a buck tip for you!

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Who works Friday afternoons? Ok, lets get this straight, you think that working 20 hours a week making 160K a year with a free car, 401K $ for $ up to 6%, full expense account is a weak profession and I am still in pharma? By working 20 hours a week, I own 2 very successful franchises I can seel for $500,000 a piece, but brings in profit of $100,000 a year with all the tax write offs? So your saying the smart thing to do is to get out of pharma, go into device making 250K a year working 80 hours a week and on a pager. Did they have math when you went to school 45 years ago? One thing you cannot take back is time. I only work 20 hours a week, in the top 5% of the company and will retire a multi-millionaire by 50 years old. I guess I would be angry too if I didn't prepare and I was 50 years old with no future and my kids hate me and my wife is having sex with successful 28 year olds. By the way, at meetings, I am one of the youngest reps in Oncology. Your 50 your old wives are the ones hitting on me and wanting to have sex with me because I am successful and their old ass husbands got laid off because they didn't prepare. I am having sex with your wives at these meetings, over 20 women over 40 since I started 3 years ago. So I guess I would be angry too, when your wives call all tired to "check in" at their POA meetings about 10pm, they fake it and put on some sexy clothes and go down to the bar in the hotel and get drunk with me, then we go back to their room and have sex like animals. Many times a picture of you is by the night stand. I look at your old crusty, wrinkly faces while I am tearing it up from behind. So yes, you all have a reason to be angry and jealous of my success. You have nothing, no job, kids that hate you, and a wife that is getting it on the side. What a miserable life, you should have prepared crusties!! What a great world this is!

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This guy is a troll and amounts to nothing! Please just ignore him rather than responding to him. Then we can all get back to decent informative posts on this board. This comes from a 35 year veteran in both the diagnostics and pharmaceutical industry and still at it.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The absolute naivete of this poster is he is still young and dumb enough to believe you can really prepare for everything life throws at you... I love to watch those that think they have all the answers when they ultimately get smacked with real lifeand have an 'oh sh*t' moment!

And baby - as a woman over 40 - none of us want you 28 year olds, since you don't know what your doing in bed yet either!!