Respiratory Care Educator position

Discussion in 'GlaxoSmithKline' started by Anonymous, Aug 16, 2010 at 5:56 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My thoughts exactly-disappointed as well.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My thoughts, too-disappointed :( I wonder how many RCE's have left this role already for another opportunity?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Some great insights on this thread, thanks for posting. For those of you who are in an RCE role, it appears that geography and willingness of providers to work with PHARMA in this capacity is a key component to job satisfaction. Considering the dwindling access and credibility of the sales position (and PHARMA) as a whole, how would you evaluate the longevity/career potential of the RCE role now? Is it still "an experiment", and how would you evaluate it's future? I ask as someone who is considering applying for a position in an area where access is tough. ANY additional insights would be greatly appreciated!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think we are probably good for at least another year but after that...I have no idea. You mentioned all of the key challenges: geography, access, staff is apathetic. They are more focused on diabetes etc...no words of wisdom. It is a tough road, as is pharma in general now.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

wasting money

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well, let's see. I know of 2 RCE's that have just left their positions this month to go elsewhere. Miraculous that I even know. Several have left to take other positions within the company over the past 3 months. I wonder how many other people have taken other positions outside GSK that I just don't know about at this time? Interesting. We started with 75. Wonder how many originals are left?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Maybe they are smart enough to read the writing on the wall.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Do you know what type of internal positions they have taken? Sales, HAM, corp accts, something else??

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The ones I know took positions as HAM's and Account Managers-they got a bump in salary and they get quarterly bonuses. RCE's do not get quarterly bonuses-they get an annual bonus which is pretty small. They werer frustrated with the RCE position and wanted more money-so they were glad to make the move into those positions. I have spoken to other RCE's in the country who are not thrilled with this position either=are looking for other opportunities.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Seriously. Re-alignment for educators. New Managers for an expansion? More insanity. They are sharing the love with the RCE's now. Cluster.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thank you

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I bet the reason some of the RCE's have left on the west coast is their manager!

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Which one? California manager or the west region manager?

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Do tell!

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have found the RCE position both appealing and challenging. It is well aligned to the need to reimburse providers for clinical outcomes instead of the current fee for service paridaigm. Anyone who's been involved in selling to providers realize they have lots on their plate and need help teaching the "tricks-of-the-trade" to their staff for any chronic disease management. They need help engaging their patients to be adherent to the prescriptions they write. GSK has invested heavily in making this system work and have selected very talented individuals to make that happen. We are truly non-branded and have no control over fully 80% of our annual bonus. However, all things considered, for me it's a blessing to be well employed by a great company (like many others) who is looking out for the future well-being of patients vicariously through talented individuals. The fact that there's a profit involved is fine by me. After all, profit is behind everyone's employment in some way, shape or form.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I don't see it as an experiment. Nothing is certain, but they've fashioned the position after one they've had in the UK for over 20 years. I feel pretty secure unless I do something stupid (like any other position). Access is a problem in some areas of the country, but GSK has made many changes with personnel over the last 12 months which will improve the Educator's uptake in clinics and will help to restore the credibility we've damaged (as an industry) over the last several years. It's a truly great job and I look forward to continuing in this position for many years.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Is the same as the Community Pharmacy Educator?

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Meant community pharmacy liason..same position?

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No, totally different. The Community Pharm Liasions are branded with a BUDGET.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

As far as fashioning this role after the one in the UK for 20 yrs.....don't they have socialized medicine? Big difference.