New Pronto 7 Hemoglobin/ Masimo

Discussion in 'Ask Dr. Dave' started by Anonymous, Aug 4, 2010 at 5:22 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

this device looks pretty bogus to me but it has been sold down the throats of the surg unit i oversee. i am the poct manager and the precision against hemocue even with operator technique thrown in was as much as 5 mg/dL!! the values were on either side of the board-not consistently higher or consistently lower-this bloodless device is worthless to patient care. perhaps the reimbursement schedule is the driving force. lab vs hemocue with 95% of the draws compared a difference of 0.5-1.0 much more reliable. i think using the pronto will either cause more blood draws or neglect patients who need care with critically low hgb.

2. #22 Anonymous, Aug 31, 2012 at 8:31 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2015 at 8:05 AM
    Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It is very bogus, reps know it doesnt work and we aren't selling it anymore. They are hiring a fresh group to sell it. The new people will figure it out quickly and start looking for a new job too. The slim balls who are willing to sell it will fit right into the Masimo slim bucket. Pronto 7 has already been taken off the market once, I don't know how it got back. Joe and his politicians. He has every democrat on the west coast in his back pocket. Masimo is very very unethical. Their motto is "do what's best for patient care" but that is Iranian for "make Joe rich at any cost". Hb does not work, it is a good parlor trick but it causes more problems for the patient than it solves. It confuses the issue and you cannot rely on the result. I have seen it miss by several grams and trend in the wrong direction during surgery. Very unsafe for the patient and no reputable doctor will use it, I don't know of one that will use it regularly. Many have tried it and come to the same conclusion, I have seen it in person. If you care about patients you won't sell this product, everyone knows it doesn't work. The FDA is going to have egg on their face when this all goes down, if hospitals were using it there would be lawsuits but thankfully no one is using it. There is not a single hospital in the country that uses it when the rep is not standing there. All hemoglobin sales that are reported are from capital acquisition or stocking orders, absolutely no regular users anywhere. Sales people are waiting Joe out, he is going bananas trying to figure out how to sell it, it has never occurred to him it is the wrong thing to do, he is only thinking of himself and profits.