Unemployment / severance in North Carolina

Discussion in 'GlaxoSmithKline' started by Anonymous, Feb 10, 2011 at 11:31 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was told before I was laid off from GSK that in NC you may collect unemployment regardless of severance IF you are enrolled in some sort of classes or retraining. Otherwise, you may not file until the end of your severance pay out.

I heard this from several reliable sources, but I find nothing on the topic on the NC ESC website. The website is pretty clear that one cannot collect until any severance has paid out.

Can anyone enlighten me on this topic? Can you be enrolled in any training (i.e. the Right Management outplacement, or online classes)? Or does it need to be a for credit course at an accredited college / university?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

First thing dont talk about severence with Unemployment. The person who would talk to has no way of finding this out. You will be taxed at end of year for it that is all. Second just tell them you are unemployed due to layoff and are actively looking for a new job and want to file for unemployment. They are not on your side. Giving them anymore info is at your own risk good luck.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Second: Training/Classes should not be a requirement. I would not discuss that with them. They may send you a sheet where you have to document work searches. You need 5 searches per week. I document internet resumes submitted and that has covered me so far. Its a tough market. Good Luck

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you received severance in one lump sum it is taxed that way and you are eligible for unemployment. I took VRIF last year and made the mistake of mentioning severance. I had to appeal unemployment twice which went to a third phone appeal (which took 4months to schedule) Once I explained the lump sum payment (taxed in 2010) and had a letter from GSK of termination due to "lack of work" I did receive all my unemployment. Continue to file even if denied. Severance should not play a role in your determination. Hope that helps.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Don't listen to much of this.
    I am in NC. I took VRIF in May 2010, and was paid by GSK through July 21st. On July 22 I filed with Employment Security Commission. Severence payout does NOT apply to Unemployment benefit payouts in NC. I told them about my severence pay, and they told me it wasn't an issue.
    What DOES matter is unpaid vacation time and bonus payouts. After I filed I had to wait 4 weeks (amount of vacation I was paid). My payouts were delayed for a few weeks after that while I documented for them that GSK was not going to pay me anything else. Then I got retroactive benefits for about 3 weeks all at one time. Also the weeks I got my 2nd qtr payout and a partial payout for 3rd qtr, I claimed it in my weekly online certification and got no benefit check that week. Be honest with them. From the day you file, you need to document that you have applied for 2 jobs per week, even when not getting paid because of vacation or bonus. Keep good records, in case they want to check it out.
    Many people have opinions on this forum, but different states have different rules. Everyone I know in NC has recieved UC benefits. You can file online, but it really speeds things up to go in person, have all of your info, and talk face-to-face. Since I was in the office, they made me sit through a 1 hour class that basically impressed how important is was to seek 2 jobs per week and carefully document what you have done. Every Monday I go online, answer 5 questions, and on Tuesday I have a direct deposit in my checking account. Good luck. I'm still looking, and my benefits (26 weeks) will run out in March.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

the above post is accurate - I also took the VRIF same dates had to wait 3 weeks after last day on payroll for vacation pay I was able to complete most of the application online did have to phone in once. Once you are approved you have to wait one week for benefits to begin then you have to certify online every week that you looked for work and did not recieve any pay in order to get the full benefit for that week. I only collected for two weeks (got a job!) so didn't have any weeks of earned income subtract from my unemployment benefits.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks to all for the info.

I remember seeing that on the NC ESC site. So when my 2010 bonus (if anything) is paid next month, that effects my eligibility for unemployment benefits? I don't doubt what you are saying, but it seems counter intuitive since that is theoretically pay from last year not this year.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

And then we wonder why this country is going broke. Don't ever complain again about how much government debt your children and grandchildren will be stuck with. Screw them. Right!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

People with this "feed me" mentality....leeches of society....should not have been hired in the first place. Go back to Mommy and Daddy's house and live off them.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You do get 26 weeks of UC, but if you haven't found anything yet (and it is tough out there), they will renew you for another 20 weeks. With regard to posters 8 & 9. I worked in NC, and can tell you those of us who took the package are not lazy. All of us are multiple Winners Circle winners, so I would say that brings your theory into question. We took the package because it was too good a deal for most to pass up...especially health insurance for life. Most of us question the decision from time to time, but most look back and see...from the big picture prospective...it was the right thing at the right time.
    Now to address the poster apparently ignorant of economics. UC funds have been paid by our company....through our productive efforts...for years and years. It is an insurance plan. None that I know have collected before, but have more than paid their fair share of taxes. At the risk of sounding arrogant, which in this case, is well justified, you have complete ignorance of the causes of the budget deficit. The deficit is primarily generated by Medicare (a lot), Social Security (to a degree....I would explain, but you are probably poor in math), and Military spending. Economic studies have consistently shown that, though counterintuitive (you may have to look that up...too many letters), UE compensation actually returns (roughly) 25 - 50 cents on each dollar spent. It also lessens the foreclosure rate, because in many cases, it's just enough to get by. With real unemployment at roughly 15%, also,from the the standpoint of maintaining the social fabric of the nation, and the economic return vs. expenditure, it's not a major issue. It's not a (significant) contributor to the deficit.
    In closing, the people who took the package, (at least the ones I worked with in NC...I have since moved) are great people and great reps, secondly, UE benefits aren't a great contributor to the deficit, and thirdly...I'm much smarter than you...Sometimes the truth hurts. I anxiously await your scholarly reponse to this information.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Try to be concise in your responses , rather than Obamaisms. You are no longer there because you knew that you were no longer wanted...and you jumped ship before the firings. So you say none of the nation's taxpayer dollars pay your unemployment ?? Get a spine....get a job. Scrape that "Change" sticker off your Ford.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Just the sort of response I expected...I wasn't "concise" because I could tell things needed to be explained to you, so (hopefully) you might understand. The ignorant prefer short words and short sentences..and avoid complex thought. First, I lean toward Republican / Libertarian...though not in all areas. The statements I made were not from Obama, but from the General Accounting Office (put down your coloring book and look it up)....I would argue it's a much better source of information than your bumbling responses. As a student of economic theory from Friedman (Right) to Krugman (left) ...heard of them?, I am obviously better informed than someone like you, who has to rely on pithy...though not intelligent commentary. Typical of your breed...an inferior one at that...you make snide remarks rather than well reasoned arguments. Now please stay off this page and go play with the other children.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

P.S. to the ignorant poster: If you read my response, I mentioned clearly how these people paid plenty of taxes over the years through their ...achievements... Taxes seriously impacted net payout. Please read ...A mind (should you have one) is,... as they say,... a terrible thing to waste...and yours has atrophy.
    Please quit trying to keep up...you are out of your league, and should know your place.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

well at least i'm a gray hair still with the company.......where are you ?

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am well...thanks for asking.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I GOT ALL 26 WKS AFTER SMASHING UP A CAR. TOTALLED.
    GOT IT ALL
    THEN GOT A NEW JOB AS A NAM WITH A SMALL CO AND WAS LIKE. .305 BAC AND REFUSED ALL TESTS BUT GOT NO DUI. GREAT ATTNY. 6 GRAND. WORTH IT.
    NO DUI ON RECORD.
    LOST JOB BUT GOT TONS OF SEVERANCE SINCE WAS A DIRECTOR. LIVED ON THE HOG, BOUGHT A NEW BENZ AND RETIRED. LIFE IF LUCKY, VERY LUCKY AND GREAT FOR SOME I WAS ONE OF THE LUCKY. DEAR GOD, THEAT VOLVO CO. CAR WAS NOT EVEN RECOGNIZABLE. IT WAS HORRIBLE. ALL AIR BAGS OUT. ON THE CELL AT THE TIME. I KNEW I WAS OVER .35 BUT REFUSED IT ALL. IN THE BAG.
    THE VP HAD A LIMO TAKE ME HOME FROM CINCY TO COLS! GOOD COMPANY. LUNCH IN THE LIMO PROVIDED TOO! NO CAR IN A WEEK WHEN THEY CAME AND TOOK IT BUT BOUGHT A NEW BENZ AND NEVER WORKED A DAY SINCE! INHERITANCE AND SAVINGS MY FRIEND. NO NEED TO PAY FOR MY KIDS COLLEGE SINCE NOT IN MY DECREE. RICH POP IN LAW TO I SAY THE HELL WITH IT. NO COLLEGE AT ALL! NOW I BUY ROLEXES AND BENIZIES.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Best of luck to all in NC. You're all winners in my book.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thank you sir. You are certainly a gentleman and scholar , and perhaps a basketball fan. Go Heels !

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I don't know if I'm a gentleman, as I'm the one who took posters 8 & 9 to task, concerning their comments about NC workers who took the VRIF. Thanks and good luck.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I would say that you responded like a true gentleman. This is my first time on this thread and I understand your points very well. I accepted the VRIF as a multi winners circle winner in a different part of the country. Sometimes I second guess myself and my decision, it was not easy as you well know. I took the VRIF without the added plus of the insurance benefit because it was time to go. Many of those who stayed on were seiously considering leaving but feared the unknown too much. Many didn't have the confidence to make the change. The way last year was handled was enought to make me leave. I would rather be affiliated with an organization which is more in alignment with my ethics and morals.