Animal Health vs. Pharmaceutical Sales Rep

Discussion in 'Pfizer Animal Health' started by Anonymous, May 18, 2006 at 8:37 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Me and my ex-wife work for Pfizer... Several years ago, she sat down with a manager from the AH side. They wanted her, she has horses and had some familiarity with Strongid and a few other animal meds. But the territories were a lot bigger and it would have been about a 40% pay cut. That ended her interest.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How much do Pharmaceutical reps make. Either human or animal health??

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

from 35 to 235k it ranges

4. SYRACUSE

SYRACUSE Guest

Can someone please tell me briefly what the difference is on the Animal Health side of being a sales rep vs the human side?
    I am currently a physician and I am considering pharmaceutical sales-"No being a MD is not all that it is cracked up to be esp. with salary"
    What is the selling process in animal health vs scripts?

5. SYRACUSE

SYRACUSE Guest

Can someone please tell me briefly what the difference is on the Animal Health side of being a sales rep vs the human side?
    I am currently a physician and I am considering pharmaceutical sales-"No being a MD is not all that it is cracked up to be esp. with salary"
    What is the selling process in animal health vs scripts?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wow. Grew up on a working ranch with 500+ head of black baldies every winter. Plus the normal cow/calf setup. Went off to the "big city" and went me to get some of that there college. I've done the human side of pharma for 9 years now. Can't say that it was all great, but it wasn't all bad either.

Yes, we had to bring in lunches. No I don't do that every day. Been in specialty sales for quite a few years now. Also know that the animal side takes important clients out to dinner as well. Neither side is better than the other. Why the tension?

I have friends that are on both sides of pharma. BOTH have their drawbacks. The one thing that the animal side has for sure is less hassle with managed care. It also means that reps can't sit back as their institutional reps do all the work while they get the credit. That's not the rule, but it does happen.

What is the honest assessment without all the BS. Both the human and animal reps need to put a check on the ego.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Lets see...you want to go from being a physician to being a pharma sales rep? All I can say is that you need to take a test to check your mental stability. Go on any Pharma board and see how bad it is being a sales rep. Also lay-offs are coming for everyone. 20-30 years ago it was great, but not any longer. The only position you should remotely be looking at is a MSL (Medical Science Liasion) and nothing else. As a sales rep you would be a fish out of water.
    Old time retired manager

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wow,, This put me perspective...
    I am going to school that will give me the traing for the Veterinary pharmaceutical sales. I do not know if I want tht job now...
    :(

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

what school would that be?

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi,
    I just wanted to wish you luck on your search. I am really surprised by the amount of rude and abusive comments posted. I have met many Pfizer reps in the field and I think that anyone who is silly enough to judge a whole company on the behavior of few people needs something better to do in their spare time. I think Pfizer is a fantastic company with well educated reps. For those reps that get high and mighty just remember they have further to fall when times get tough in their company. Lets not forget the purpose of being a rep is to educate doctors so that patients can have access to the best medical care.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Very interesting points here. I have heard that you can even find some medications for pets at

http://www.onlinepharmacycr.com
    Online Pharmacy for prescription drugs

but I'll have to confirm it.

12. sassygirl

sassygirl Guest

I too have worked on the human side and would love to switch to the companion animals side. Can anyone give me any advice. I dearly love animals and would anything to move over into animal pharma sales. please help

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm not even sure if anyone is following this original question at this point. But just in case.... The Animal Health Market is pretty saturated as is the pharma industry there really aren't a lot of jobs out here now with the companies you would want to come and work for. If you can find a job then jump on it! The animal health industry is a wonderful place. I have family members that are in pharma and from their experiences I couldn't see switching sides. You will find you have more face time with the doctors and they will appreciate the impact you can make at their practice. If your a good rep and can understand the concept of uncovering needs and selling to fit those needs so it becomes a win win all around then you become part of the hospital family over time. Going to work is a joy, you will probably average a dinner a week, a lunch every day and your days will go from 8am with your last call ending around 4:00. I can't speak to pay but your job satisfaction will most likely improve. Good luck!

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey Sassy-you aren't calling on animals... Although you "dearly love them" you will have to watch some nasty stuff and see some pet owner who, if their pets were their kids, would be phoned into CPS. Stay where you are.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have been interested in Pharmaceutical Sales for a couple of years now....

I am currently a student and I was wondering if there is anyone that could point me in the right academic direction for this career.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what type of degree or classes i should focus in for this career field?
    As well as some insight into the life of a "Pharmaceutical Sales Rep"

Thank You

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This industry is changing so fast (with mergers, realignments and changing strategies) What I tell you today may not apply in 6 months (or even next week). Do yourself a favor and pursue a career in an industry that is more recession proof. I suggest anything in the human health field. Get a good solid science background.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree with this statement. I started in this mean-spirited industry after college about five years ago and had NO idea what I was getting myself into. Now I am applying to medical school to use my brain and not be a doormat. I cannot wait to get the hell out! Stay away from the sales industry doctor - trust me on this one.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am currently an account manager from another industry looking to enter the pharmaceutical sales industry. I come from a strong biology background and have an interest in maintaining my technical/biological roots. When sharing my interest in potentially entering the pharmaceutical industry with several people, some with experience in the industry, they have all told me not to do it. Up until now, I had thought they were exaggerating on how bad it is. My god! Most of you sound so incredibly angry/frustrated/unhappy. What's the deal? Why all the arrogance and attitude towards everyone? In an industry that has its foundation in helping man/animal kind, I don't see alot of satisfaction being taken. Anyone have some insight to offer?

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The problem is that at one time many reps thought the same ways as you do but the industry has changed. It is so much more difficult to do anything for the doctors nowadays. There is so much red tape and internal political bs in this industry. In an ideal world we would be doing what we feel is right for our clients and their patients but we're not. It's all about the dollar, and with the current economy, how to keep our jobs. I wasn't around then but from what I've heard this was a great industry 10 to 15 years ago. Well...it is no longer that my friend. Stay away...

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i'm a pharma sales rep who's been fustrated for 2 yrs. I'm going to vet school in 4 months. Thank god! I hate my job and the industry and the crazy reps and the even crazier MDs.