Baby's coming in 4 weeks - ViaCord or CBR? Help!

Discussion in 'Cord Blood Registries' started by markn, Aug 22, 2007 at 12:54 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Bank for your kid you cheap fuck

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Viacord lost our cord blood too.They use a inferior courier called airnet.The driver that showed up didnt even work for airnet but another company called ibc???I knew I was in trouble when I realized the courier didnt speak english! Go with CBR!!!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Actually CBR and Viacord use the same courier Quick.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

5. socalmom

socalmom Guest

We were bombarded by a lot of ads from Cord Blood Registry (CBR) and would have gone with them if we haven’t been aware of the availability of other banks. We decided to go with Family Cord Blood Services, a local bank headquartered in Los Angeles. Their cost was a lot more reasonable and affordable than CBR – more than $500 less and have all the proper licensing, accreditation and service levels. It is important for all the licensing and endorsements because you do want a lab that is safe and practicing along with the industry standards. We also felt better going with them because they’re owned by doctors and their lab and storage are all in the same location. One of the medical directors and co-founder is actually a leading cord blood expert and chairman of the cord blood banking industry.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This whole thread is BS. It's a CBR Rep who writes back and forth to themself. Like a real consumer is going to make a decision from a company thread when they can pick up the phone and use their brain and ask questions. The idiots who write in from time to time and answer this BS thread are just as dumb. I use to work for CBR a few years ago when it was just Chris S but I herd it isn't much better now, sorry. The fact is that CBR is best then Viacrap and the rest should just go home and play with themselves or their cat (pussy if you didn't get the joke). When the hell are you guys going to be sold. I look REAL bad when viacrap got picked up first. Why go with number two when the pin up girl in the corner is single? Good Luck but I left for more money, company car, real benefits and a chance to work for someone other than Saunders. Have you guys at least gotton a boost in base pay?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Viacord is the better of the companies.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

We used CBR ten years ago and had no problems at all.

We were the first one my OB/GYN had done, and CBR was the only game in town then. Don't know what the issues are today in 2009, but we've had no absolutely complaints with CBR and their choice of Tucson makes sense (no earthquakes or hurricanes!).

If someone out there is thinking of using CBR, make sure you use a coupon to save $$. CBR widely issues these coupons as "referrals"-- the new client gets a discount and the old client gets a credit to offset storage fees. My code, for $250 off, is MSALE. If you decide to go with CBR I would surely appreciate you using my code!

Hope no one thinks of this as spam-- I guess it could be seen as such.

If you are expecting, CONGRATULATIONS! I wish you a fast and comfortable delivery. Take at least one picture every single day-- someday you will be so glad you did.

Thanks and good luck.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

its all a big waste....sorry...look at the technology growth, its not in cord blood. it should be but the industry is over...if you have a fair amount of money,,have at it. you will sleep better at night for now....

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes why don't you explain that to the Byrd family because their son is alive because his brother's cord blood saved his life. Or maybe explain that to the Hextall family because their 2 year old son with CP now functions normally. You're a real jerk, you know that?

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ouch! Tell that to the people who are the experts. This industry has promised a lot and delivered little. If private cord blood was on the cusp of greatness do you really think there would be all this outcry against it.

Submitted by ruzik_tuzik on Mar 30th, 2009
    Posted under: General Health Articles
    A survey of physicians has found broad support for the position that parents should not bank their newborns' umbilical cord blood in a private blood bank unless another member of the family is at risk for a blood disease that will require a stem cell transplant.

The results of the survey are reported by researchers at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and their colleagues in the March issue of the journal Pediatrics. Their findings are in general accord with the recommendations of medical organizations that have previously weighed in on the issue.

"Physicians who perform hematopoietic cell transplants in children are well positioned to judge the advisability of private cord blood banking, but their views had never been systematically sought and collected," says the study's senior author, Steven Joffe, MD, MPH, of Dana-Farber. "We found that these physicians have performed relatively few transplants involving privately banked cord blood, and that their position on such banking is generally in line with that of larger medical organizations."

Cord blood is a source of "hematopoietic" (blood forming) cells that can be used in stem cell transplants to treat a range of diseases and disorders. Expanding the collection of cord blood for use in public cord blood banks increases the chance that more people are eligible for transplant, because stem cells culled from cord blood do not have to match a patient's tissue type as closely as donated bone marrow does. Cord blood stored in public banks is made available to unrelated children and adults in need of a stem cell transplant.

Private cord blood banks are for-profit companies that, unlike public banks, store umbilical cord blood for personal or family use. Private cord blood banks typically charge a $1,500 – $2,000 collection fee and an annual $100 – $200 storage fee. Families may decide to store cord blood privately if a relative has, or is at risk for, a disease such as leukemia or aplastic anemia that can be treated by a stem cell transplant. Families without such at-risk members may choose to have the blood stored as a form of "biological insurance," in case the child or another family member unexpectedly develops a disease that can be treated by stem cell transplant.

For the current study, surveys were sent to 152 pediatric hematopoietic cell transplant physicians in the United States and Canada, 93 of whom responded. Questions addressed the number of transplants physicians had performed using privately banked cord blood, their willingness to use such blood in specific situations, and their recommendations to parents regarding private cord blood banking.

The respondents reported that of the thousands of stem cell transplants they had performed, only 50 involved privately banked cord blood. Forty one of those cases were "allogeneic" transplants, in which blood from one individual was used to treat another member of the family. And in 36 of those cases, families already knew of a member who was a candidate for a transplant prior to banking the cord blood.

The researchers identified only four or five cases in which cord blood that had been privately banked "just in case" it would someday be needed was actually used to treat a sibling of the donor. They also identified only nine cases in which children whose cord blood had been banked subsequently underwent transplants using their own stem cells (known as autologous transplantation), despite the fact that this is the primary use for which private cord blood banks market their services.

Few of the respondents said they would choose a patient's own cord blood over other alternatives as a source of stem cells for treatment of acute lymphoblastic leukemia. By contrast, more than half said they would use an individual's own cord blood to treat high-risk neuroblastoma, or to treat severe aplastic anemia in the absence of an available sibling donor.

In addition, few would recommend banking of cord blood in families without a member known to have, or be at risk for, a disease that can be treated by transplantation.

"In the absence of a family member known to be a candidate for stem cell transplantation, the chances that privately banked cord blood will be used are quite small," Joffe says. "Families need to balance the high cost of banking such blood against the remote odds of its ever being needed. Pediatricians, family physicians, obstetricians, nurse midwives, and other professionals who work with families should educate parents about the medical community's consensus view on this issue."

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's always interesting to read those articles. Just like a relatively recent article by 4 authors about private vs. public.... turns out that 1 or 2 had just recently sold their financial interest and was in the industry!

Also very interesting that a lot of Pediatricians bank their children's cord blood privately, yet don't tell their patients about it! What's good for the doctor isn't always good for the patient I guess!

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, but dont forget to mention the huge discounts that you give to Docs. Why wouldn't a doc do it? It's cheap for them and they have lots of money. Plus the banks turn around and uses it as a marketing ploy. Doctors also smoke and tell their patients not to.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

A real Jerk...GROW UP CHICK! THATS RIGHT >>>>>CHICK! Maybe if the child was born properly, and you KNEW SOMETHING about CP you would understand my orginal statement.
    Because you are a little girl...I will try again. If you have the money yes why not! What is the % of stored UCB utilized with the Byrd Family's wonderful outcome? Dont forget the recent stuff at Duke VERY GOOD....AGAIN, please share what your definition of CP and it cause.....

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Chick..huh tough guy....you're real tough, right? You're a punk. Sucka...just because you're pushing birth control pills doesn't mean that you have to be so negative and jealous towards CBB reps. Maybe someday you'll make 6 figures...maybe...actually prob not, bitch.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is too late for the original poster (based on the date your question was posted)...
    but if anyone else is researching, we chose CBR and have been happy with them. I put some of the research we did, and added links, on a website along with a $250-off coupon.

The website is www.cordblood-sale.com.

Good luck to all of you... no matter what you decide!

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That's great research. A webpage that only looks at CBR. How about the two recalls that CBR had? Shouldn't parents be aware of those before they invest $2,000 dollars. There collection kit is not approved by the FDA. Should they know about that? CBR is a low class company that spends all it's money on marketing. They said there research is focussed on the collection process but it was Thermogenesis, not CBR, that did all the research. It's too bad the FDA doesn't take a harder stance on these companies because it cost the parents a heck of lot more money to go with an unethical company.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

>> That's great research. A webpage that only looks at CBR

Yes, cordblood-sale.com does focus on CBR, the company I chose to bank my own baby's cord blood. That is why it is named "cordblood-sale.com" when CBR's own website is "cordblood.com". That's why my previous post stated "If someone out there is thinking of using CBR..." before I gave them my coupon code. If you are implying that I am trying to trick someone, you are off base.

>> How about the two recalls that CBR had?

Thank you for the heads-up. I researched that tonight. Apparently the problem is that Thermogenesis, the collection kit supplier, omitted one purity test for some lots of its bags in 2007 and 2008. The company caught the error when reviewing its documentation. The FDA said "The probability of endotoxins being present in the bag sets in significant amounts is low". It appears that the bags don't necessarily have anything wrong with them, but the samples have been tagged as a precaution. If the stem cells from these bags are used, they will have to be tested first. Here are some links about the voluntary recall and bags:
    http://www.fda.gov/cber/recalls/thermaxp021908.htm
    http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/othercities/sacramento/stories/2008/02/18/daily47.html
    http://www.cordblood.com/cord_blood_news/media/press_releases/cbr_stem_cells_recovery.asp

>> There collection kit is not approved by the FDA

I'm not sure what you mean about their collection kits; CBR has already stored a quarter-million samples, so presumably the collection process works well. The kits are FDA-cleared:
    http://www.cordblood.com/cord_blood_banking_with_cbr/banking/collection_overview.asp

>>CBR is a low class company that spends all it's money on marketing

I don't think they are "low class". They do spend on marketing, but as a result they have over 260,000 samples stored. I feel that having so many samples increases the likelihood that the company will still be around in 30 years. Without competitive marketing, there is no growth or long-term financial viability for a company. I don't have a problem with long-term financial viability.

>> it cost the parents a heck of lot more money to go with an unethical company

At least they don't anonymously bash competitors on public boards. I assume, based on your knowledge of the industry and your vehemence, that you work in some way for a CBR competitor; please correct me if I am wrong.

~ mom@cordblood-sale.com

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Just an update...
    After reading the New York Times article about giving birth in Tanzania (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/health/24birth.html), I've decided to donate $100 to AMREF (a medical charity that improves health conditions there) each time the MSALE coupon is used-- from now until the end of June 2009. This donation doesn't affect the coupon, families still get the normal $250 (or $650) off.

SO if you are banking umbilical cord blood, and
    IF you have selected The Cord Blood Registry, and
    IF you would like to save $250, then
    please use promotion code MSALE!

Thanks!
    mom@cordblood-sale.com
    www.cordblood-sale.com

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So you are getting on this person for being a competitor but you actually wrote the review? But you state that while doing research you came across your site that you are a part of. Why go with a bank that has twice been recalled by the FDA? Do you know how much money this company gives Doctors to reccomend them? Now please, take your biased ass to another website sweetie!