Why is Zofran so expensive?

Discussion in 'GlaxoSmithKline' started by Anonymous, Dec 31, 2007 at 1:38 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Zofran doesn't treat cancer. Go get kytil if you don't like the price of generic zofran.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So in other words you are no longer with the company and are bitter and angry that you are not here anymore. Another troll coming back to our board to complain and moan and wanting to be back.

3. Enquiring

Enquiring Guest

I found this forum whilst searching for why Ondansetron is so expensive and if there is a cheaper substitue or alternative.

You guys seem to know your drugs and I would apreciate if you could offer me some advice...

I am a 22 year old male diagnosed with a rare version of the Neurological condition: Dysautonomia (Dysfunction of the Autonomic Nervous System). As a result of severe damage to my Autonomic Nervous System I am extremely sensitive to any substance that acts on my ANS and I experience adverse reactions to many medications which often result in further distrupting my vitals. However Ondensetron turned out to be perfect for me as I seem to tolerate it well and its very effective in relieving my nausea symptoms.

The reason I take Ondansetron is because my Dysautonomia distrupts all my bodys automatic function including digestion and causing gastrointestinal issues. I often develop a condition known as Gastroparesis which is the inability of the stomach to empty its contents and causing food to become ranchid and spoil which is then followed by hours of severe nausea and vomiting. This is where the Ondensetron comes in very useful but because it is so expensive I have been unable to keep up with the costs and so I have been going to the ER where they administer two 8mg Ondansetron.

What other alternatives are there for someone like myself who is very sensitive to the general antiemetics ? For example with Stemetil I had adverse reactions and also developed a bad case of Dystonia. But I had no such issues with Ondensetron so is there anything else on the market that is similar in function, effective and well tolerated? Thanks.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You really should be talking with your doctor. This board is not a place for medical advice. Nor is it legal for anyone to give you medical advice on this board. I know that is not what you are hoping to hear. Good luck with your condition and call your doctor today.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It need not be. Try looking up price on goodrx.com. The prices range from $1.95 to $113 as of today for Generic Ondansetron. When you are a cash paying customer (or with a crappy insurance with big copay), the more informed you are, the more smarter is your choice. Take care.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Probably because its original use was cancer patients and everybody know anything to do with cancer is a money racket....why cure it when too many people are getting rich off of it??? Like Chris Rock said the money ain't in the cure it's in the comeback

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

#1 research money after decades of work #2 short patent life #3 to help pay drug rep's salary.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The no 1 cost selling a drug is the $ that is spent on sales, marketing, advertising and sales meetings. It has been that way since Zantac. You are either dumb or misinformed if you think different. Worked @ Glaxo for 30 years and I saw and figured the numbers for Zofran. The industry and especially Glaxo are greedy/unethical bastards.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Zofran has been generic for years

10. pillsbrothers

pillsbrothers new user

Yes i will suggest you also Medical Examination and Doctors Consultation.Take Care and hope fast healing.

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Translation please, and also the " I " should be capitalized.