Levaquin

Discussion in 'Ortho-McNeil' started by Anonymous, Feb 7, 2006 at 7:29 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Too late Pal, you are boring. Get a life, and maybe that will go away.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

While I applaud those reps who atempt to make this a mature thread, I think we have multiple posters and posers here fishing for infor or trying to demoralize us.
    For example, at least one poster mentioned "Bactrim" was later prescribed. While this antibiotic is used for less severe infections, is the poster aware of its dangers?? Stevens-Johnson syndrome is a well known side effect of Bacrtim-much more common than tendon rupture with Levaquin use (FACT!). SJS is basically an incurable skin disease that more than 1 in 10 people DIE from if they contract it. Soooo, you can see why a physician might reach for a drug like Levaquin.
    On a personal note, I have in fact been hospitalized by a drug side effect-a very commonly used drug and known, but rare side effect--just like tendon rupture with levaquin.
    so, I can sympathize with you condition, but you must understand, ALL DRUGS CARRY POTENTIALLY SERIOUS, HARMFUL SIDE EFFECTS. Even if they are widely and safely prescirbed for MOST people, if you are that ONE person, look out!
    On a factual note, the 2% number used here is way out of line. according to the PI, its way less. Also, levaquin is the most prescribed quinolone, but has less of a case history of tendon rupture than cipro.
    Bottom line, it is a class effect, a rare one at that, but of course very serious if you are that one person; However, this is the case with EVERY SINGLE DRUG ON THE MARKET.
    Most doctors understand this, but patients who are looking for an immediate cure rarely pay attention to the potential downside of drugs.
    Think on this my friends.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

For example, at least one poster mentioned "Bactrim" was later prescribed. While this antibiotic is used for less severe infections, is the poster aware of its dangers?? Stevens-Johnson syndrome is a well known side effect of Bacrtim-much more common than tendon rupture with Levaquin use (FACT!). SJS is basically an incurable skin disease that more than 1 in 10 people DIE from if they contract it. Soooo, you can see why a physician might reach for a drug like Levaquin.
    On a personal note, I have in fact been hospitalized by a drug side effect-a very commonly used drug and known, but rare side effect--just like tendon rupture with levaquin.
    so, I can sympathize with you condition, but you must understand, ALL DRUGS CARRY POTENTIALLY SERIOUS, HARMFUL SIDE EFFECTS. Even if they are widely and safely prescirbed for MOST people, if you are that ONE person, look out!
    On a factual note, the 2% number used here is way out of line. according to the PI, its way less. Also, levaquin is the most prescribed quinolone, but has less of a case history of tendon rupture than cipro.
    Bottom line, it is a class effect, a rare one at that, but of course very serious if you are that one person; However, this is the case with EVERY SINGLE DRUG ON THE MARKET.
    Most doctors understand this, but patients who are looking for an immediate cure rarely pay attention to the potential downside of drugs.
    Think on this my friends.
    I will say, at least your response was mature. I do understand what you are saying. Yes, the Bactrim I only took for about 10 days. By this time, I was hurting so bad from the Levaquin, I couldn't tell you if it had any different ADR's. I just finally decided to stop all the anti's.

I was told 2% by my Urologist. He said that he sees 2 to 3 males a week in their 30's for prostatitis, and that since it is happening to 50% of males, that with that number, he was going to start with less potent drugs and then go to Levaquin if he had to.

Everybody reacts to things differently. People die from allergies. It is crazy. I do understand your point, it is just that it is damaging when it happens to you, and you used to compete in body building competitions, NEVER sit at home, NEVER even thought of getting on the computer. My life was so full and busy that I was only at home to sleep. I don't party, and I quit drinking 5 years ago. I was just active. My joint pain is better than before. I just feel for those that are going through this after more than just 3 months that I have been.
    You have been there it appears, so I am sure this is why your post is mature. Have a good weekend.
    B

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

To the original poster:
    My, my, for someone with the laundry list of ailments you claim to have including CNS issues precluding lucid thought you sure can type one hell of a well-thought letter. I suspect, as many of my foul-mouthed brethren, that you are a slimy, shit eating bottom feading tort lawyer just casting a net out there to use in what you hope will be a class action suit in the backwaters of Mississippi where you read aloud the disdainful comments that supposed representatives of J&J said about the pain and emotional distress you now have from taking a drug. You know what, just go back to your semen crusted Grisham novels and conjure up another way to to bilk corporations out of their money.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    Too late Pal, you are boring. Get a life, and maybe that will go away.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very weak response. It shows that there is no defense of what you are doing. You have nothing to say but that someone ELSE is boring. I also notice that you did not actually disagree with the poster's very informative and compelling post. That says a lot right there.

Please don't bore everyone with another lame response like saying someone else is boring. Nothing could be more boring, which you don't even realize.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It is well known that pharmaceutical companies rig their studies to show a lower incidence of side effects and adverse reactions, and to show milder ones as well. Adverse reactions to Levaquin are also under-reported by doctors because 1 - in spite of the list of reactions in the PDR, they seem to think these things don't really happen or they don't even read the PDR, 2 - if they do admit to themselves that they happen, they are not going to admit to the patient that a drug they prescribed damaged the patient, 3 - patients with adverse reactions very often don't link them back to a seemingly unrelated drug and never discover the connection.

And what is completely ignored by the drug companies, the FDA and doctors is that the incidence of adverse reactions to Levaquin and other FQs goes up the more pills a person takes, even over a period of several years. There is no study out there that has studied that, for the obvious reason that it would not be in the financial interest of the drug companies to do so.

In short, adverse reactions to Levaquin are in all probability grossly under-reported.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

LEVAQUIN SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Back on your meds and leave the computer alone.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Without realizing it, you are "killing the goose that laid the golden egg." You are creating a whole new set of people who will never take another prescription drug again and who warn everyone they know against taking prescription drugs. You are driving away your own customers with your lousy drugs and your deceitful sales practices.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Who is "you". The Levo sales force, or all drug reps or who? We are creating a whole new set of people who will never take prescription drugs? Lousy drugs? My question is, who are you? These "lousy drugs" have saved millions of lives, given people a quality of life their parents or grandparents never knew. I am plenty old enough to remember the 1950's, and know that many people died in their 60s or 70s, and that cancer was a death certificate. The modern antibiotics have saved millions from pneumonia and other serious infections that were a death certificate before 1940. You are sadly mistaken to call them "lousy drugs". What is your agenda? And why are you on a drug reps site if you feel that way? Deceitful sales practices? Finally you said something that has some truth to it. Some companies are much worse than others. Being an old time Rep, I think Levo has been sold more ethically than most antibiotics, such as Z-Pak or Moxi, but we could do better no doubt. The push from the companies for more and more market share is not conducive to responsible marketing. Only the FDA can rein that in, not the individual Reps(the companies won't because the competition won't). Better think things through more clearly before you call something lousy. People throughout the third world would love to have our "lousy drugs".

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Fuck off, dick shit! [​IMG]

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Levaquin has big problems especially related to resistance not to mention the side-effects with the 750mg/Leva-pak. Hospitals are reporting resistance issues on their antibiograms with Levaquin while Rochepin still remains high.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Levaquin has big problems especially related to resistance not to mention the side-effects with the 750mg/Leva-pak. Hospitals are reporting resistance issues on their antibiograms with Levaquin while Rochepin still remains high.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ya - go to HongKongResistance.com. Should find some outstanding numbers there - thats what Levaquin competitors use.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

For specific resistance issues related to specific areas you would have to contact the hospital pharmacy or a physician within the hospital to request their antibiogram. As far as resistance issues are concerned, it is not just our competitors that are talking about it but also our paid/trained speakers. E. Coli suseptibilities has dropped into the 80% range while Rochephin remains around 100%. If you are not actively looking at the data coming out of your hospital accounts, then you are a dumb ass just buying the company line.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

E Coli 80%? Where? Avg antibiogram in my area is 93% and 99% for strep.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I did not find anything on the honkongresistance.com, in fact I did not even see the website.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I feel bad for you that you have been through such an ordeal. I do have to note however that you mentioned your liver enzymes were elevated--well Levaquin is processed by the kidneys and not the liver--so more then likely that and the issues you had, had nothing to do with Levaquin.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

what a joke....compare Levaquin to Avelox and Levaquin is 10x safer... just look at a PI

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    Do you inform all doctors that fluoroquinolones cause serious, long-lasting adverse reactions that can devastate the lives of victims, and therefore should only be used as a last resort? Do you tell all doctors that their patients should be fully informed of the risks before taking these drugs? If not, then you are doing this to people. As a drug rep, it is your responsibility and ethical duty to teach doctors about what these drugs can do to people. If you do not, and instead are just telling the doctors that these are wonderful drugs that work great, then you are doing these horrible things to innocent people.

By the way, levaquin was the only drug whatsoever that I had taken for over a year. So you can't blame anything else for what has happened. I could have taken a safer antibiotic for a minor infection. Instead, I was given Levaquin by a primary care doctor who simply said it was a "great antibiotic." My rheumatologist told me I was "chemically poisoned." There is no point in getting a second opinion. My life is devastated and there is absolutely nothing any doctor can do.

Yes, PLEASE warn your loved ones about the dangers of all fluoroquinolones, even if you don't warn the doctors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it's called fair balance in presentation, Adverse events shown equally to others in class and vs. placebo. Any doctor worth his salt asks safety first, whether or not he is being detailed by a rep or from an attending while he is a resident. All docs know about the CLASS EFFECT OF TENDON RUPTURES OF QUINS. If you were 24 and were Rx Leva, ask your doctor why not a first line antibiotic like the guidelines dictate? Do you smoke? diabetic? alcoholic? Why would a young (healthy) person be Rx'd a major 2nd line agent? I know 2 things for a fact, It wasn't the reps fault and it wasn't the drug makers fault. We promote/sell controlled poisons, when Rx'd properly to the correct patient and disease state they have the intended result=cure. That mistake is on the doctor and or the insurance for allowing the Rx to go thru. Sorry about your state, but it could be worse.