FBI Investigation!!??

Discussion in 'Pacific Pulmonary Services' started by Anonymous, Dec 15, 2011 at 6:18 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

While I certainly understand some of the animosity that many hold towards
    this organization, please have some respect for the people that are still there, just trying to do their jobs. I recently left voluntarily after having watched the font size of the proverbial writing on the wall increase almost monthly for a variety of reasons. But I am still greatly concerned for the many colleagues there who have consistently fulfilled their duties. They are likely sitting at home tonight fearing that their livelihoods will be ripped out from under them due to the alleged unethical actions of a few. They deserve better than this. Despite unreasonable comments that so ignorantly group everyone at PPS into the same negative category, there really are OUTSTANDING employees there who do uphold the Core Values. They work long hours across different business units to address the needs of their internal and external clients. Among them are good, wholesome managers that actually do support their employees. At the end of the day, they just want to ensure that the patients receive quality care and service – and only a REAL a-hole could find fault with that.

Let’s face it – some posters on here are just unemployable complainers who are holding grudges for having been held accountable. And, then again, there are those of you who may very well be justified in blowing off steam about specific managers/executives and their practices. But please, don’t forget about the hundreds of innocent, dedicated souls who continue to take care of business every single day. While you may choose to express your glee and satisfaction over this news story, have a little sensitivity toward those who continue to “do the right thing when no one is watching.”

And no, this is absolutely NOT Chris Kane, the Compliance department, executives current or former, Santa Claus or anyone else who ever worked in Novato.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are sadly misinformed. The only shredding that got done was because they were cleaning out the desks from all the people that are gone. Making room for new hires.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I don't think the rank and file employees have to worry. There will be some fines and heads will roll, but they won't be the "little people" who are generally so despised by upper management. No, this is upper management's party and it's been a long time coming.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You were misinformed about the locations of the raids. Brentwood was not raided. There are ppl in every company, every organization, every day walk of life that choose the wrong things to do but everyone is not crooked.

6. I repeat my earlier statement. People interested in facts should read the companywide memos that were sent out and contact Jane Thomas for information. If you want answers, that is where you should go.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

^^^
    I'll get my facts from the news. Thanks. Not interested in how you will spin it.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Can somone post on here Jane Thomas Memo? It would be great to see

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Agree with many of the posts, there are good and bad employees at every organization, however you have to look at the bottom line and the employees that will remain. From a competitive standpoint, this is a major blow sales and marketing! Wouldn't you love the chance to sell against a company that was just raided by the FBI?!?!? it's going to be very hard to get new business and just as hard keeping existing business. This market is all about perception and PPS just got hammered.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

the novato corporate office, and the secondary office in novato was raided monday

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree; when you see some dropping f bombs and going crazy it's makes them look out of control and pathetic.

Lets be real; most corporations cheat. Its' just nice that a company that has been treating people like crap for a long time is finally accountable. For all those against regulation, the feds, and everything else about the government, this is why they are important.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's going to be tough!

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Those of you former disgruntled employees of PPS voicing your "opinions" on here, are just as bad as those who are being caught defrauding the government by spewing hatred. You need to be humbled just like any corrupt business. Maybe you did something illegal too. There is not one person on this planet that hasn't t broken the law in some way. Keep in mind of the innocent people that do work for the company in order to put food on their families tables & provide a roof over their heads, especially in this day & age, the way the economy is today.
    No DME company is immuned to corruption. You think they are corrupt, the FBI needs to step up their game & raid community hospitals. I have seen many Doctors order unnecessary orders & perform procedures on patients that do not need to be done. It's appauling! Karma is going to make its rounds. So, you out there posting your negative thoughts on here, be careful what you say. I am sure you are no angel, too....Remember Karma...

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

For all of the people jumping on PPS don't forget the employees that work there and have loyally done a good job without any fraud towards Medicare or anyone else. Please have some consideration for those employees. Most work hard and have families, homes, and bills to pay. It is unfortunate that this situation has happened but I hope that everything gets cleared up and PPS can continue to move forward as a company. I NEED my job!

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Excellent news.....I have been waiting 2 years for this. With 20 years experience behind me, I only last 5 months there. I consistently told corporate and regional directors their tactics were unethical and illegal. No wonder PPS normally hires people outside the industry; this way Novato can "train" them and the employees will never know they are committing fraud and abuse. I feel bad for the honest employees trying to make a living, but my advice is move on. PPS is the lowest of low, management is corrupt and driven only by money, not caring for people who need the help the most. With this being said, most national companies are the same. If you love the industry, work for an honest independent or hospial-based company. FYI PPS: telling end-stage COPD patients that their oxygen tanks are "expired" just to make them accept that tank every 3 months is ILLEGAL and unethical to say the least. FYI Bakersfield acquistion team: you have no idea when it comes to "transitioning" patients on to your platform. The last overnight oximetry results MUST be reported on a revised CMN....the results cant be used just to "validate" the test that was performed 4 years ago. Therefore, when you revised a CMN to change the supplier information, the last oximetry MUST be reported. You really should go to the CMS website, download the latest manual and read it. I would love to be working for the FBI or CMS right now looking at all their CMNs. I would recoup millions for our government.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This, recouping money, is the reason for the raid. The FBI doesn't want to shut PPS down. At most the company might be sold, but most likely they'll have to pay back money, they'll get fined, etc. Hopefully those in upper management who are behind what this company has become will lose THEIR jobs, but the rank and file employees should be OK.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree, PPS wont be shut down but this could sting pretty good. If I were the competition, I would take the HME News article and show it to every MD in town. Explain that the government will be looking at every CMN and associate that ordering MD to a fraudulent company, (ie: the MD will be looked at too) And trust me, no MD wants to be watched by HHS, OIG or FBI. Every one in Novato, every regional and district manager should be let go.....it is their pressuring that makes the hard working employee perform illegal acts just to feed their families and survive. Having to be reminded daily that you are one month away from unemployment will make even the most honest person crack.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The reality is upper management most likely will keep their jobs. Look, the FBI had to have credible evidence to raid these offices. The evidence was probably an email by a PCC admitting they sign CMNs or pay for referrals. (the FBI would not have acted just on a verbal tip) Unfortunately, it will be the PCC that will be prosecuted unless they have IN WRITING from corporate to do so. And trust me, corporate knows what they can and can't put in writing. So corporate will be ok, they will spin it to Japan that is was a rogue employee and this type of action is isolated. The only smoking gun would be if 'pay for referrals' was going on and someone had documentation that corporate paid/reimbursed for such actions....we can only hope

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Although this hit to PPS/Med Mart has been a long time coming, I tend to feel bad for the friends I have that are still employed there and are honest people. I wish them the best outcome if possible because it is not going to be good for PPS from this point forward. Having said that, those responsible for this FBI raid are in for a bumpy road. FBI does not commit raids based on 1 anonymous call, nor do they seize files, computers and servers based on claims. hard evidence was already in hand when this occured, now the FBI is just looking to see how far this fraud reaches. Teijiin is in for a massive fine and will most likely sell off PPS in pieces since there will be no way to recover from this hit no matter what type of spin PPS corporate puts on this. Referral sources will not want to be associated with a company that is under a known investigation.

Many years ago, Lincare was issued a fine by medicare for the sum of 12 million dollars for not correctly completing CMN's. Now PPSs' current situation is different because it is fraud, I would predict they will be looking at close to a 100 million in fines plus jail time for those responsible.

20. Doc Farmer

Doc Farmer Guest

*FOR INTERNAL USE ONLY *
    *1*
    *Talking Points for PCCs to Referral Sources *
    February 29, 2012
    As a result of the actions taken by the Department of
    Health & Human Services and related agencies
    yesterday, some of our Referral Sources may express
    concerns. Please review the below talking points
    and be prepared to answer any questions that your
    referral sources might have. It is at your discretion
    as to whether you proactively share this information
    with your Referral Sources. If you are in an area
    where your competitors may propagate rumors, you
    may find it helpful to talk to them up front. We
    have also provided a letter that you may share with
    your referral sources. Only share the information
    and/or letter where you think it will be necessary.
    *Goals: *
    1. *Address questions,*
    2. *
    Reassure referral sources that PPS’s patients will
    continue to receive best in class O2 and Sleep
    *therapy service, *
    3. *Apologize for any disruption if necessary,*
    4. *
    Instill confidence that there is no foundation in
    regulatory compliance concerns
    *Talking Points *

In an effort to reduce fraud, Medicare has
    significantly increased funding to agencies that
    investigate Medicare fraud. All DME companies are
    experiencing a new level of regulatory
    scrutiny including heightened payment audits and
    investigations of healthcare provider
    practices. PPS has grown quickly over the past several
    years, and is no exception.

The document collection process by government
    agencies was unplanned and did cause some
    disruption to our daily operations. If you experienced
    any interruption in our service to you on
    February 28th, we sincerely apologize. The collection
    was limited to several of our California
    locations.
    • The purpose of the inquiry is currently not clear.

We work hard to ensure that our policies and practices
    are compliant with Medicare’s
    regulations. Our employees are held accountable to
    know and follow all rules and regulations.

While we don’t expect to find anything, we will work
    with authorities to uncover and resolve
    any issues.

Most importantly, we will continue to serve you and
    your patients with the excellent care and
    service that you expect from our company.
    *FAQs for Referral Sources*
    • *Are the rumors of an FBI raid of PPS facilities
    accurate? *
    On February 28, 2012, the Department of Health and
    Human Services assisted by other related
    government agencies including the FBI visited 2 PPS
    facilities and several administrative offices
    *in California and collected electronic records and
    documents.*
    ------------------------------
    *Page 2*
    *FOR INTERNAL USE ONLY *
    *2*
    • *Are the rumors of Medicare fraud warranted? *
    We are unaware of any fraudulent or abusive practices
    at PPS and the government has not told
    us that they know of any wrongdoing by our company
    or our employees. I know that I am
    personally trained on the proper way to do business
    and act with integrity at all times, as do my
    co‐workers. Any reference to Medicare fraud is a
    rumor. Some of these rumors are created by
    competitors. All healthcare providers are experiencing
    increased government scrutiny. PPS
    cooperated with government agencies and provided
    documents pertaining to our policies and
    operations. PPS continuously educates, trains and
    tests its employees on relevant government
    regulations. Our associates know the regulations and
    are responsible for following them.
    • *Do you expect any disruptions to service? *
    We do not anticipate disruptions to service. PPS has
    many locations in our service network. We
    have centers in each market to serve the needs of our
    referral sources and patients. We are
    *committed to providing this service now and in the
    future. *
    • *Is there a chance that I (the referral source) will be
    contacted? *
    We don’t know. While we think it is unlikely, it is
    possible, that authorities may contact PPS
    referral sources. If this happens, please answer their
    questions. If you are contacted and have
    *questions or want to let us know about it, please
    contact Ian Farmer. *
    Do you expect additional government agency
    document seizure at other PPS locations?
    *We don’t think so. During the document collection
    on the 28*
    *th*
    * the agencies collected our *
    complete electronic record, and so we think further
    document collection is unlikely.
    • *Is PPS under investigation or other legal action by
    the government? *
    We have only been notified via a search warrant of
    document seizure. We now expect the
    authorities to spend many months evaluating and
    analyzing what they have collected, and