My version of 15 by 15

Discussion in 'Merck' started by Anonymous, Sep 24, 2011 at 7:15 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Anybody unable to understand this post is what makes a good Merck rep these days.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Swear to God, you couldn't pay me enough to go back into pharma.
    The previous posts said it well....doing nothing but worthless, so-called "work" and being treated like crap in the process will eventually make you a crazy person...IF you are an ambitious person.
    I KNOW you all have or had those days like I did, where you sit and stare at the computer screen and wonder......hmmmm, which Dr did I have this oh-so-productive conversation with today, and what, pray tell, did we talk about? Then, that closed eyes, deep breath in thing; eyes look up to the ceiling and big breath out. Omg-- how much longer can I take this fake and phoney existence?
    It's when you feel like that almost DAILY, that it's time to go.
    In the meantime, do whatever you have to do to get you through the days.
    Like a prisoner waiting for parole feels, I imagine.....

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OP back. Glad to hear I inspired you! When you see all the crap that many friends have put up with in working for Merck, you don't feel one bit guilty implementing my 15X15. How about this one. I'm gonna use some sick days before the end of the year and take my wife to NYC for a few days to shop and maybe see a show. Even though I have vacation I could use I'm gonna roll it on to next year. Thanks for the free days off Merck! Hahaha!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

WOW...you must be some rich dude or dudettee!!!!!

....nice have have big money in some vault somewhere to pay the mortage and all the other bills....wish I would have such wealth........

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Some expensive reps have been around years and make as much as managers. It can be rockin 30 thousand or more than other peers ....it's a fa la la season to be merry...all year round for some....

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

To the OP----Best post on CP!! No longer with Merck-- got fired after 30 years. Wish I would have done the 15 x 15 like you have suggested. Rock on and have a good holiday season-- keep up the posts

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Same here to the OP. Retired after being PIP'ed to death. It was getting nasty in the end. Could have won the battle but what for? Wish I did the 15 x 15 too. Too Merck loyal then as a 30-year veteran to slack off.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are gone...no more fake phoney anything for you. No more breathing awarenss, no more omg and prayer sessions, no more on the brink of craziness, no more computer stares or prisoner feelings...And now?

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is so true...it will make you absolutely crazy doing all of Merck's fake so-called "work." And the only reason that "work" still exists is that all the crazy middle and upper management needs there to be some "work" left for the sales force so they can remain in their jobs...They know that you really need very few, if any pharmaceutical reps in the field anymore...

I wish I had not wasted my "Career" doing Merck's devilish deeds...

Now I am in my 50s, and need to completely re-train because nobody will hire long time
    drug reps...can't say I really blame them, but I really did want to do a good job and work hard...

Merck just wouldn't let me...

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

what happens to the really older reps with all this...the over 55 set?

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I don't know what happens to them- but at 42 with kids in school and one leaving for college in 2 years- It's too late for me to go back to school and learn something useful-
    I have bills to pay right now- so here I am- having to re-train in an industry (family business) that really doesn't interest me at all- but I am using my people skills and computer skills that I learned at Merck- Other than that- I feel completely screwed and mad at myself!
    Luckily husband has a decent job with benefits for our family
    I did the 15 X 15 plan my last year at Merck bc I knew what was coming-At least I enjoyed my last year and free time!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am over 55. Manager all of a sudden decided to PIP me at 54. Retired at 55 after friends and doctors told me not to go back to work and prove something. Life has been good. Money will never be a problem. Enjoying church, family, life, cooking, learning silly new skills, reading and anything but Merck.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm 56 and have the same story. I'm lucky I didn't go f-ing berserk before retiring. Now I just have to be told that I'm too young to be retired and I just say no, not too young, just lucky. I can make a little money on the side while also volunteering and feeling 1000 percent more productive than I've felt in my last 20 at Merck. Pharma sales became such a pathetic existence for a buck.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The "feel good" about this whole thing is reserved for those with hugh number of years under their belt and money to match. I have the age but not the years, or financial situation where I could even think about volunteering or a accepting a low paid job....

Pushing the "relief I'm gone" talk does not apply to everyone...by any means.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

agree, not looking forward to the end.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

pathetic existence is right!! I am so much happier now that I am out of that racket...

starting to rediscover the old, ambitious and productive me...

Merck kills that in every employee....

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If it is going to be hard for you when you leave, let them terminate you. At least you will get state unemployment for a year or so depending on your location. Good luck to you and remember, most of us have other talents that can be used to our benefit. NO, I am not being a "pollyanna". I just think that we have suppressed our other interests/ talents for a job that at one time was an important one. Be well- I am out and loving it.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Unemployment will soon be back to 26 weeks. No year or more. Besides, it wont get the bills covered. Take a look at the take home on it, some of the most expensive states to live pay the lowest.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I know. Deal with it, for that is all we can do. It might get awfully ugly but what else can one do but deal with it the best they can. As long as you're still with Merck, do all those things to prepare yourself for not being at Merck. Nobody says this will be easy or comfortable. Cut your bills, sell your house, car, boat, etc. Do whatever it takes to prepare yourself to leave Merck, either on your own terms or theirs. Bitching accomplishes nothing. Dealing with it accomplishes everything.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

so true...and great advice...I was pushed out recently by Merck and will be forced to sell my house, and maybe my car...(Riding a motorbike now to save on gas)

You know what though?? I am happier and more productive than i have been in years...When you get Merck further into your rear view mirror, you shake your head in disbelief that you ever stayed in such an abusive, dysfunctional situation...

I feel bad for those that are still there...(Except of the S3s that for some reason are Merck's golden children--not sure why?)