Respiratory Care Educator position

Discussion in 'GlaxoSmithKline' started by Anonymous, Aug 16, 2010 at 5:56 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yeah. They have socialized medicine in the UK; not my favorite thing. There's no denying that we need to do different things in the US to get patients involved in doing their part to improve the outcomes for their chronic diseases. I'm proud that GSK is willing to step out and lead the charge supporting something different to improve outcomes. Sure, there'll be something in it for them (us), or they wouldn't do it - no surprise. But the fact that there is an alturistic bent to this position makes me feel really good about working for them and helping patients vicariously in the offices who work with me to a much greater extent than I could hope to accomplish as a bedside caregiver one on one. There is absolutely no tie-in to product sales for us. We're not allowed to use the "A" word, for example. Whenever we talk meds, it's always classifications. Bonuses are tied to overall corporate success (80%) and our MBO's (20%). No product tie-in. I personally don't expect bonuses until I see them. There is a firm line between educators and sales, no joint calls. I really enjoy the opportunity:). BTY, I hate corporate kool-aid and have never drunk any!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Have any of the RCE's out there seen any changes or increased opportunities with the new CAM's on board? They started last July and I have seen NOTHING with them. Seriously, are they just sitting at home? I meet with mine and they have all of these accounts but no activity/appts with them yet?? What are everyone else's thoughts on this?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Are you serious?

Everyone's sitting at home right now. If they aren't they are sample dropping or sitting in Panera picking their ass wondering when the axe is going to drop again.

This whole job has become a joke. I give the RCE role 12 months before it's dramatically reduced i size. This goes for just about every other division in the company.

To date I have seen zero value from my RCE. Hospitals already have their own RCE's and primary care is too busy to bother trying to use your services. Why in the hell would hospitals want to bother with anRCE from the industry when they have one(or more) in house.

Enjoy this cupcake job for now because IMO it won't last.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Umm....spoken like a true rep. You are probably sitting at Panera as you typed this post. You probably wouldn't know "value" if it hit you in the face. I agree, there will be downsizing. However, I bet the RCE's will be around longer than the reps...only they will probably be carrying the samples that you once "dropped".

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Seriously....if you hate corporate kool-aid...then what are you SMOKING?!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Okay, so now we have no materials to use until further notice??????

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I imagine it's different in the varying geographies. My CAM is working hard. As the whole world of GSK's approach to customer service and focus has changed, it'll take a bit of time before all the new elements are able to get traction under this new paradigm. I believe it's all for the better and am proud to be a part of this needed change. I see great things on the horizon and will work very hard (and smart) to bring the value to the providers that'll trickle down to patients.

The materials thing presents a challenge, but the real value we bring is right between our ears. We can help providers develop great disease-management programs and they can find resources anywhere they like.

...and a RCE who smokes would be the pinnacle of hyprcracy. I'm just committed to this position because it's the right thing to do for patients. As a clinician, I take pride in that. The success of this opportunity rests soley on the shoulders of those of us who hold these positions and I intend to do all I can to make a great impact within my sphere of influence.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wrong. Manager's great. It was either not enough money, a better opportunity came along or they couldn't get nationally certified as an asthma educator after two tries (the more common problem).

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ummm....you are wrong. I am not sitting at Panera because I can't afford it. I am at McDonalds and I eat from the dollar menu.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

RCE is just another upper management blunder, passed down to bobble head yah sayers. Nobody has the balls to have said, "this is just a waste of time, money and resources".

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

History has shown if you point dumb asses out, your fired by the integrity hotline! Hell Witty is a knight. Give me a sword, I'll go head to head!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Any new updates on this position? I applied for an open position in my area. There seems to be mixed reviews on this board about this position.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you were offered another educator position with another company, would you take it?

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Depends on the position. IS it more of an MSL role? If so, it might be worth it. Moving from the commercial side to the medical side could be a good move.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I would definitely take it!!!

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So what does everyone think about the role this year? Do you think we will be busier with all of the new COPD tools we are getting in March? Is anyone seeing an increase in matrix involvement?

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

GR

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I heard GR is great! I bet that RCE left for a better opportunity of possibly more money. Seems like everyone complains about the salary for this position especially since it has turned into somewhat of a sales role. RCE's find most of their own business-why else would they have trained us on MCES? The company knew we weren't getting any leads from the field so trained us on MCES so we could generate our own leads/programs. If we get provider buy in, then great we act as educators, but for the most part we are selling our services (through MCES) with the hopes of getting customer buy in. SOunds like sales to me.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Agreed. Happy cold calling!!

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Didn't want to be in sales. Especially when I have nothing to sell.....let's cold call on primary care with nothing to offer. Sounds like success to me.