Does Vivitrol work? This is a legitimate question

Discussion in 'Cephalon' started by Anonymous, Aug 7, 2008 at 7:39 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm a rep from another company and have been an alcoholic for 10+ years. I am at a point where I absolutely must do something but can't imagine going into an inpatient treatment center. I saw a post on another page about Vivitrol and saw the physician locator. I tried Campral a couple of years ago, but I never made it through the 5-day drying out period and basically just lied to the prescribing doctor so he would give it to me...but of course it was not effective without that wash-out period. So is Vivitrol better? Does it really work? I don't want to go to another doctor, spill my guts and try this if it isn't really effective. Please, serious replies only-please.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ex-vivitrol rep here. It definately works. You will crave alcohol less, and if you drink you wont feel anything near the euphoria you used to feel with alcohol in the past. I've even had docs tell me their patients told them the alcohol tasted bad when on the drug.

the problem: people who use alcohol to cope with other issues have no coping mechanism when on vivitrol so they HATE it and never return for future injections. Another problem: insurances cover this expensive drug very poorly so you may have to pay cash... but it definately works.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thank you...but "people who use alcohol to cope with other issues have no coping mechanism when on vivitrol so they HATE it and never return for future injections"....isn't this essentially the problem with ANY alcoholic??? How much does an injection cost if you pay cash? I don't really care about that so much, just curious. Thanks again for your answer.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Vivitrol works. I never go more than a week without an office sharing a story about Vivitrol completely turning their life around.

Insurance coverage is variable by region, and in some parts of the country it's quite good. It has more to do with your employer than your insurance, and if you work for a pharma company, I bet you are covered with a $20 to $40 copay.

Either call one of those offices on the locator list, or call 1-800-vivitrol for hop in finding someone close to you.

To emphasize the last poster's point:
    Go talk to somebody. Ask the doc you see to recommend a good counselor or therapist. This part is very important. If you go to a counselor and don't like him or her, go find a different one.

The out pocket cost is around $715. You might to shop a few pharmacies to find that price.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How quickly do patients start seeing/experiencing benefit? How long do patients generally stay on? Thanks again

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Clinical studies demonstrate significant separation from placebo by day 3.

Stick with it for a year. You can stay on it longer if you need to, but give yourself at least a year.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I just had my second Vivitrol shot 10 days ago, while I did have one relapse about two weeks after my first shot, I was impressed enough with the overall results to antie up and get the second shot. It is not a miracle drug, but when I combined it with attending AA meetings, getting a sponsor and working the steps of the Big Book - I now have a fighting chance. Vivitrol only helps with my physical cravings, AA helps me learn to cope with the mental side of the addiction and equips me with the tools to survive and prosper in a sober life.

Anyone going on Vivitrol needs to know that it functions as an opiate blocker, which also means it has the fringe benefit of making the abuse of opiates like vicodin, oxycontin and and the like all but useless wastes of money and time.

My insurance copay is only $20 per injection, but they are billed out by the doctor at $460 each (plus the cost of the dr visit). If you can afford it or have the money to get the shots, go for it - but only do so if you're going to combine it with AA. If you can't afford it, go to AA anyway, it's free, it works, and all you have to do is put in the effort and the miracles will happen.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thank you for sharing your experience, I do appreciate it...best of luck to you, you sound like you are really on the right path.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

thank you marketing team, we all know it's not that easy.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I smell a rat.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

More like some jackass that is giddy over the rediculous sapling metaphore....seriously, how much money was pissed away paying Vox to change our "branding" when it could have been put into DTC ads in order to serve patients? Anyway, what the hell is up with the VBU marketing team outsourcing for marketing advice and direction? SK has just proven how clueless and irrelevant he is...atleast he's a nice guy...shit!!!! Somebody bodycheck his sorry ass...loser.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not too mention, no more samples or VSPs for the remainder of 2008. That's like building house without the necessary tools. Oh I almost forgot, we have the new marketing materials. However, the senior managment team doesn't hesitate to have a strategic planning meeting in Kiawah, SC this week. I suppose that they just couldn't find the time in Utah three weeks ago to get this done. WTF??? If we are truly in a budget crunch, then why not meet in Philadelphia or Boston? Enjoy the golf boys...

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Vivitrol kinda works but the Vivitrol management doesnt work at all!

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree get rid of all the ASL's and MMD's. They are worthless and a complete waste of payroll.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You just need to get rid of the psycho one, you all know which one I'm talking about...

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I know of a big one in the west.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Come on you guys, I think she has a thyroid issue that makes her overweight or maybe not. Also I would't call her psycho but she is one taco short of a mexican fiesta. She is El Vaca loco.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Are you talking about an ASL?

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have been taking vivatrol since July and it has been nothing short of a miracle for me. I do not attend AA meetings or have a sponsor. I was a 12 pack of beer drinker everyday before taking the shots. I have not had a drink since. Not only has it taken away my urges to drink it also took away my urges to over eat as compensation for not drinking. The only down side for me has been a reduced sex drive. I highly recommend this shot for anyone who truly wants to quit drinking. I just cant believe they dont give this to more people. I still cant believe how effective it has been on me.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks for sharing, and congratulations on your recovery.