October 1973

Discussion in 'Winthrop Laboratories' started by Walking Eagle, Dec 14, 2006 at 7:50 PM.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

WHat are your initials. My mother knew someone from Breon.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Did you know someone w initials LF or LP from Illinois?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wrong person? My mother asked me to pose the ? While she stayed with me.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

As we start another year and get further and further from Winthrop's history, I would still like to pose the questions as to the whereabouts of Andy Stotts in Little Rock, Blaise McGuey (spelling?), Johnny Watson, Jack Canaday in Wichita, Ks, Earl Beeler, or any others around in 1973. Just curious if they are still with us or doing OK.

5. Walking Eagle

Walking Eagle Active Member

The only one I have been able to keep track of is my old manager, Harry O. I would like to know about McGoey and Watson as well.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There is a listing for a Jack Canaday in the Wichita area, showing his age as 88. That would be about right. I worked with him when he was in the St. Louis district in the late 70's. Tom Dugan and later Ed Doll were the managers. I left Winthrop in 1981.
    Jack was a great bike rider. He used to do the bike across Kansas. I also remembered the little yellow cards he carried with his products listed. He used to say," If you want my card to grow use more of my products."

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thank you for the information. 88 would be about right for Jack Canaday. You left in 1981 so you probably knew Bob Byrd in Tulsa (I know Bob died a few years ago as I was very good friends with him). I have lost track of so many that I knew from 1970-1973. I went to Boehringer Ingelheim then and stayed 36 years before retiring as a Regional Director. I don;t regret the move, but Winthrop was a wonderful experience and had great products when I was there. Phisohex, Phisodan, Phisoac, Neosynephrine line, Wingel was under rated as an antacid, talwin, the carpuject line, Negram (I may have messed up the spelling over the years). There were great people with Winthrop in those days. I was sorry to see they transitioned and were bought later. I really do not remember the timeline for those changes but I am sure it took its toll on many that I knew originally.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I left and went to work for Searle, bad choice. I left Searle to work for USV. USV was bought by Rorer, then Rorer was bought and a series of mergers followed, Aventis and finally Sanofi. Winthrop was the nucleus of Sanofi when they wanted a US presence. Most of Winthrop was broken up and sold off. I ended up going full circle, when I retired from Sanofi. I had 30 years in the industry and that was enough. Regards.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Forgot to answer your question. Yes I knew Bob. Back then, everybody knew everyone. I still remember the national meetings in San Franciso. They used to let you fly out early and fly back the day after the meeting so you would'nt have to take the red eye. The president would play the piano and pass out his favorite cigars. Guys that could sing or not sing would stand around the piano as he played away.

10. Walking Eagle

Sharmin Webb, are you out there??????

11. Walking Eagle

Well this is just too damned funny. Watching a Seinfeld rerun. The one with the African [John Paul] in town for the marathon and having trouble getting up on time. Jerry checks him in to a local hotel: THE BEDFORD!!! the one we lovingly referred to as the Bed BUG. Oct '73 was the first class with women and the LAST to stay at the Bedford. Friday while we were in class they moved all our stuff to the Eastgate and passed out the new keys. Really weird to see the Bedford marque and realize I have seen the episode many times and never noticed it til now. Anyone have Bedford stories to tell? Please omit names of the not so innocent....

12. Walking Eagle

Anyone???