Spine question re PODS

Discussion in 'Medtronic' started by Anonymous, Jan 5, 2013 at 8:46 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I work for a major ortho company, and wanted to get some feedback from your "world". What has really caused or allowed PODs to take off? Also, how are these smaller companies getting away w surgeon "investors"? We just don't see it yet in ortho. So, I'm looking at it as either a) there will be a massive crackdown finally, or b) it will finally break through in ortho.

It's crazy to me to now see all these "no name" companies selling metal in all my hospitals, whereas 5-10 yrs ago, it was in heard of.

Thanks!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Mostly surgeon greed. Coupled with the lack of FDA or congressional oversight (read understanding).

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I would not label it all as greed. I have worked with 2 POD's and numerious other spine (smaller in size) OEM's that I'll call POD like (POD = < 49% Ownership). Some hospitals and buyers no longer care who makes that MAS or Cervical Plate, they now buy based on cost. And yes, they understand risk & FDA burden and it's a non-issue, non-value add. I feel this has hurt MDT Spine much more than anything else. Smaller Spine OEM's do not carry the huge overhead, offer very simple systems, basic spine systems and some do not push BMP, several have benefited from the Infuse concerns.

To the orginal question, POD's and POD likes are not going anywhere, not anytime soon. Yes I can see even more Ortho opportunity over the next few years, just look to the Ortho history of the state of Utah as a recent example.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

POD-like, what do you mea actually? Also, are these pods truly surgeon owned distributors (ie employing the reps, managing billing, inv, instruments, etc) or are they just calling them pods and the company is just paying the surgeons a cut?
    I've heard of ortho pods, but it was a very structured situation, but these spine pods are popping up everywhere? No way they are to the extent as what I saw in ortho. (the ortho one is no longer functioning).
    I'm just trying to understand how they function, and what to be on the lookout for in ortho. Maybe in need to get ahead of the curve...

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am curious how theses are structured also. The spine "pods" that I have seen were not technically physician owned distributorships. The company paid a rep and the surgeon. Company and rep dealt with all billing, instrument/implant logistics/, day to day, etc. I don't think there are a lot of surgeons who would really want to take on a true distributor role. So my question is how are the Pods you are seeing structured?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I would think you all would be all venting all over this. They are eroding your business daily!