Baby's coming in 4 weeks - ViaCord or CBR? Help!

Discussion in 'Cord Blood Registries' started by markn, Aug 22, 2007 at 12:54 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. markn

markn Guest

My wife and I live in Los Angeles and our baby girl is coming in 4 weeks. I've narrowed the search for cord blood banks to ViaCord and CBR. Price is almost identical, and I've read a lot on this board about vials vs. bags, etc.

I would be interested in any CURRENT info comparing the benefits of each, as we've got to decide very shortly which one to use - we've already decided private banking is best, and we can afford the cost. Now it's a quality question - which one is best?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Best,

Mark N.
    Los Angeles

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Viacord because they have the only FDA approved collection bag and FDA cleared processing system. Also, we are the only ones to publish transplant outcome data. Most importantly we are doing research, which makes us the experts. Lastly, we are a public company so you can feel confident we are always doing the right thing.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

FDA approved collection bag this is BS ask them about the cell count and how many samples have come from their lab!

The only reason the have FDA approved bag is because the buy them for a third party! This is some good marketing and spin for a weak product. Plus the bags they put your sample in are lot tested not individually tested like cbr’s

CBR is the only company to offer the AXP processing and they have had samples used to treat adults!!!
    http://www.stemcellnews.com/articles/stem-cells-completed_initial_validation.htm

If you ever need the cells you want as many as possible right?

From this point on you will get a lot of mud slinging keep you focus look at what really matters if you are ever in need
    THE CELLS ARE WHAT MATTER NOT THE COLLECTION BAG!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

the cells that matter to transplanters are TNC's which Viacord counts. CBR counts MNC's which appears higher but that is not comparing apples to apples. They are 3 totally different cells. CBR is the master at mis representing this facts. Viacord's processing system has the most experience with transplants. CBR's processing system has none.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Can you tell me where you find stem cells (AKA Hematopoietic) are found???

By the way how is the research going on amplification? Oh yeah that’s right you had to stop because it sucked and was worthless. Your own reps even say that you’re better off using the cord blood and bone marrow mix than cells that were selectively amplified! Oh yeah good stuff to spend over a 160 million on. Via-tard

What’s your MNC Mononucleated ( where stem cells are found) cell recovery rate… I know in the eighties low eighties.
    Eat them apples!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Actually are TNC's are about 83%. When processed to MNC's it is the same as CBR's. We are doing research on other amplification technologies. What research are you doing? Oh you aren't, you just donate money. Donating $ is alot easier and risk free.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Do NOT go with Cryo-Cell. They had a meltdown and your baby's blood is not safe since it's stored in Tampa, FL where they have hurricanes. There's an article that was in The St. Petersburg Times describing it. I'll see if I can find the article and post the website.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Originally Posted by Anonymous
    This might be a rumor, but didn't Cryo-Cell have a large cord blood spillage due to their patented automated system?

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I do remember such an article.

Yes, this is true. Here is the article:

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/02/03/Bu...Meltdown.shtml

Very scarry, I would not bank my child's blood here being that it's in Florida which is known for hurricanes, etc.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

First, I actually work in the pharma world, but am very interested in this industry as an investor.

I just checked all of the cord blood companies websites (CBR, Viacord and Cryocell) and CryoCell looks like their lab's are more accredited then both Cbr and Viacord. Not 100% sure, but if that article is true then how would the very respected ISO, FDA and the AABB give them accreditation?

Honestly, that accusation would make those accreditations worthless if that article had any merit whatsoever. Not playing favorites at ALL, but seriously I would worry more about failed selective amplification inlcuding the hundreds of millions of dollars wasted on nothing but failed technologies. Cbr is private so it's hard to know what's really going on.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Cbr is private and as such, is a crooked company. Their marketing campaign is borderline unethical. They created the whole mess of paying docs to attend dinner programs and paying docs for retrieving the blood in the delivery room. The docs are so money motivated that they ALSO charge a fee to their patients for collection. Then you have Viacord playing the game and started to match the $$ and in some cases, paying more than what Cbr offers.

You then have staff that has their own motivation. Such as recommending Viacord because they just received a gift certificate from Viacord.

If you ask me, this industry desparately needs regulation. BOTH companies are selling fear to moms at a very vunerable time during their pregnancy. That is why you will find the majority of physicians are leary about recommending private banking outright because they too know that despite the science out there with various forms of stem cells, cord blood is too early in its infancy to make it the end all be all.

By the way, you should ask your doctor about Cbr's campaign of Annie Tighe and how that failed them.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

SERIOUS POST:
    AVOID BANKING W/ CBR, SERIOUS QUALITY CONTROL PROBLEMS AND A "PRIVATE" CULTURE WHICH DOES NOT REVEAL THE HIDDEN PROBLEMS WITHIN THE PROCESSING FACILITY. STAY AWAY, BANK WITH ANOTHER OF THESE CO'S.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Go with CBR. We chose Viacord and they lost our baby's cord blood in transport between the hospital and their facility. They claimed it has never happened before but that is not true. Go with a company that has a person who is responsible for the cord blood from the time it leaves your hands to the time it arrives at the blood bank you chose. DO NOT use a company that hands it off to a stewartess on a commercial plane and has a different person at the other end to pick it up. Ours somehow made it on the plane but never made it off. Viacord did nothing for us after losing the blood other than say "sorry".

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have a fiend who banked w/CBR and the plane ran over the cord and it splattered every where. CBR does not have their people on the plane either. Viacord does not use the stewardess so ignore the previous post about that. There will be accidents with any company. It is only human. CBR offered their apology only too.

15. markn

markn Guest

Well, to wrap up the thread, we went with CBR - it was the Doctor's recommendation and the hospital's. Thanks for all the comments and advice.

Best,

Mark in LA

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Quick does collection for both companies so your point is pointless!

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Who's your doctor? Just curious..

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Look into alpha cord. It will save you a lot of money.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Mark,

Great choice and good luck with your new baby!

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My wife is getting a c-section in two days. Who can we contact to donate the cord cells??? We did it with our first kid in New Jersey, but we live in PA now. Who can we donate it to, I hate to waste cord cells in the garbage, especially when so many can use it.....???????