Success after P&G, Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Procter & Gamble' started by Anonymous, Aug 3, 2010 at 7:18 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I stumbled across this forum by accident but I felt like I had to post here.

I recently quit P&G through choice. I worked in corporate finance during the pharma divestiture. The way the divestiture was handled was one of many factors in my decision to leave the company. Leaving was a very tough decision, not helped in the slightest by the propaganda culture forced on P&G employees which is designed to scare them into staying with the company. My peers thought I was insane when I resigned.

Although P&G implies that its employees are its most valued asset, I would argue that they are one of the least. P&G does not make its huge profits by treating its employees well, in fact quite the opposite. The decision to divest pharma was made after calculations to ensure that the divestiture would still be profitable after liabilities for redundancy, pensions, lawsuits and intangible damage to reputation etc. Little if any consideration was given to how the divestiture would change the lives of the people working in the pharma division, this should have been the main priority given the companies values & guiding principles which it pushes on its employees on a daily basis.

I now work for a local not-for-profit institution and make more money and work half as many hours (literally 8hrs vs. 16hrs a day). I have more time for my family generally feel better about life. My only regret is that I miss my P&G friends.

I’m sorry to hear that many of you are struggling to find work. I would suggest looking into educational grants and funding made available by the government as part of the stimulus package, it may be hard to find but the money is out there. These funding programs are geared towards providing additional qualifications and/or retraining for a secondary career.

Best of luck to everyone.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks for the insight! I too left PG after many years. I am working for another company now and can't believe how my life has changed. PG was all about the image of work, my new company actually values all input and hard work. I am happier now than I have been in many years

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

P&G knew EXACTLY what was going on/what would happen when they sold us all to WC like cheap furniture. P&G is smoke and mirrors when it comes to employees. They talk a good talk but boy look out if you get tangled up in a business unit divesting. Go find another company and considered it a lesson learned. P&G doesn’t want us, they made that abundantly clear.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I talked to a former manager and he told me all about the games that management played. He told me how they decided who would win awards based not on performance, but on political agendas. How they manipulated the data and quotas. How managers received bonuses and the reps. were told that bonuses were not consistent with their ideals. How they hired people who could not even pronounce the name of the drug or the disease it treated, but fit a quota and a tax break.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I had a great career at P&G. Of the many businesses I worked in, Pharma was clearly the worst. It lacked creativity; it lacked leadership; it lacked strong values. The people that destroyed the business somehow made it through without a scratch. Senior Management simply did not understand the business well enough to understand how weak the Pharma management team was -- from the president on down.

Tom Finn is a smart guy, a nice guy, but not a leader. Picking Dan Hecht was simply a decision based on a friendship that went back to the beginning of their careers. And Karen Silvis? A well known liar. I watched her on stage mislead about 150 people. I looked over at another manager and our eyes met; we knew that she had shaded the truth just enough that everyone thought things were OK. They weren't for a long time. She knew how to cut, how to lie. Worst manager I ever met ... not even close.

Lots of people paid for the bad judgement of a few.

I am glad I moved on from Pharma before it sank. Very sad.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

another doo doo head.
    they always give themselves away when they talk about bonuses.
    anyone who worked at pg knows there are no bonuses.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are the ignorant doo doo head. Have you ever heard of the STAR bonus? Look it up on the intranet dumb ass. Band 3 gets 7, 4 bets 15, and 5 gets 25% with more for sr. levels. It's all in the policy online. Looks like you don't know shit!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I totally disagree that Tom Finn is a “nice guy”. A “nice guy” doesn’t stand up at the Manor House and lie through his teeth about how the Pharma divestiture is a “win-win” for all. About how the people that want to keep working in Pharma and live in Cincinnati can now do that with Warner-Chilcott. What a joke. I knew immediately that we Rx employees were getting screwed. And SURPRISE! The losers that ran Rx into the ground didn’t suffer any consequences! Finn and his cronies HAD to know what was in store for us, if they did the due diligence correctly. A lot of people had blood on their hands from that whole affair. I just hope they get theirs some day.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I know you are hurting and many of us are. There was just no winning in this thing. Life is just chance and there is very little you can do about it. “They” try to tell you that you can control your destiny, but that is all lies. The government has decided that most of us will work until we die or are so sick that there will be nothing left. The game has changed and so must we. Look for something that you will enjoy and that does not suck the life out of you. Forget about passing money to your kids or retirement. The government will not let any of that happen. We will all work so that the big companies can keep the wages low the way they like it.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am still bitter. Very bitter about how hard I worked. How they knowingly used us when they knew what was going to happen. I have given up on everything now.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I don't believe in god anymore. I now see that everyone is out to use everyone else, 100% of the time.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I still buy soap...

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Correction noted and my comments are now amended. No nice guy would be so lacking in ethics.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Any one happy out there? I'm not.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Honestly, I have never been happier in my life. I managed to get out of pharma after spending 18 years in the pharma industry. Granted, it was difficult, with the stigma attached to pharma. The company I work for now is fantastic. Everyone works and supports each other and it is a meritocracy, unlike PG. No BS with every manager mimicking their manager. People are allowed to think on their own and the company comes first. I don't have to apologize for my career anymore.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's now been two years since P&G sold me out. After 25 years with P&G, it was a very VERY bitter pill to swallow. I'm still bitter with them. I don't buy their brands, and I cringe every time I see a P&G commercial on television.

All that aside though, professionally I am the happiest I have ever been. I have taken the invaluable skills I acquired from P&G, and used them to start my own company which is thankfully doing very well. There's a satisfaction that comes from being the captain of your own ship, and I know beyond question that, had I not been sold out, I would still be plugging along at P&G, working like a minion for the carrot at the end of the stick.

The short time I suffered and endured humiliation and brow beating at Warner Chilcott taught me that I would probably not find another work culture like I enjoyed at P&G, and so therefore, I must go out and create my own work culture. I'm glad I did.

Yes, there is life after P&G, and it's pretty darn good.