Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Anyone heard of this Co.? They sell surgical Skin (bovine). Any info

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Incredibly small player in a big time market. Selling fetal bovine dermis for hernia repair and plastics applications. The problem is that the 3 biggest general surgery device companies already own the hernia market. 2 of them are already selling bio's and Covidien will have one soon.

Lifecell owns the biologic market now but they are loosing share to Bard and Ethicon every day.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OP here! Thanks for the info. So, do they primarily compete on price? What is their niche?

Thanks!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

They are cheaper, but I"m sure they claim some clinical advantages as well. I"m not sure what they are...I assume it has something to do with fetal dermis promotes more rapid ingrowth. This is a rapidly expanding market and the rep here is just picking up what she can get.

I would bet the company is just setting themselves up for a buyout. They can not compete in this marketspace.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OP again. I think you're exactly right. It is fetal bovine tissue and I believe it is the only Fetal tissue on the market. Their is some evidence that suggests that Fetal tissue repairs quicker than adult tissue, etc. I am not sure though about them wanting a buyout. they've been around since 1930. That's quite a while. Anyone work for TEI? Any insight?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Does anyone else get the vibe that this a staged conversation from 2 TEI marketing nerds?

"...I believe it is the only Fetal tissue on the market. There is some evidence that suggests..."

Not saying it is, but it feels like it is.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OP here. Wrong. And just why would two marketing people want to have a thread on cafepharma? Nice try. No conspiracy here bud.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

they were founded in the 90's by eugene bell after he sold patents for regenerative living tissues to organogenesis.

they seem like a good company, but its seems its taken them some time to grow wings.

everyone is for sale for the right price.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Anyone at all know the pay?
    Car package?
    Benefits, etc.?

Thnks

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Advice appreciated. I currently work for a large company. I do spend some time in the OR but desire to be there permanently. TEI seems to have nice product but it is small. Is the Biologic market a good industry to make the jump to?

Any advice would be appreciated!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Is anyone familiar w/ this company?

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Check out the second post. It is 100% accurate. I currently work in this space and their is no way a small player like TEI is going to make an impact on their own. Bard and Lifecell are both selling Allo and Xeno grafts.

J&J is selling and Allomax and probably fishing for a xeno. Covidian will have a xeno soon and would love to find and Allograft. Unfortunately there is none really left, the three big players have all the supply (literally, there is only so much human cadaveric dermis).

If you are in pharma and looking to jump in would be the only reason you should take this job. They will be swallowed up in a year and you will be jobless.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

As someone who sells an allograft and a xenograft, I have never seen the Surgminend (TEI) product. The general surgeons already have numerous choices for xenografts from Strattice to Collamend to Permachol while the plastic surgeons have had tremendous success with Alloderm. Lifecell has also continued to have more success with general surgeons as they have gotten larger sizes of Alloderm.

This is very difficult market to compete. Cases where biological mesh is needed are inconsistent and the hospitals are very weary of having lots of inventory on the shelves. Most of these products have shorter shelf-lives and sometimes will expire before they are used.

If you are someone looking to get into the OR, I would head in another direction. There are far better and more lucrative opportunities out there.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

wow....have friends who work there...no buyout planned from what i hear....growing company and expanding...not a JnJ/Covidian....no one has "real" data....its all subjective data out there.....it is a dog eat dog mesh industry....if your a good rep, you can get your product in....

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I work for Covidien selling Permacol. It's a good product however, heavy competition. I do see TEI's Surgimend on many shelves in my market. It is less expensive and I really don't know why surgeons tend to like the implant.
    It is getting tougher to my hospitalds to stock this product as it is expensive. Most want it consigned (I hate to say it, it makes sense to me as well).

I personally would not look at working for a biologic company as a way to get into the OR. There are many other opportunities out there.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Stay away from the mesh business. Contrary to what the former rep from Covidien has posted, their biologic Permacol has failed miserably. Even those that are starting to make some progress will find themselves having to do a lot of explaining down the road. It rarely works with problems including; mesh breaking down and becoming "mush", recurrences and strange allergic reactions that no one can explain. Many mesh reps that I know have left their companies or are searching frantically to get out.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am an Advanced Practice Nurse looking to get into Medical sales. I have been offered an interview to start up sales in a new territory with TEI (Surgimend). Have a friend who says he is doing well with it in another area of the country. I am not certain about it. I have heard very little and I am reluctant to jump into something that may not last or is not gonna even take off! Any advice?

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

They plan to do about $23-$25M in 2009 revenue that includes contract manufacturing for Medtronic, Stryker and Boston Scientific. You can make a decent living selling Surgimend for TEI. You get a car allowance, base pay and commission of 10% on all sales.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

JNJ is not "shopping around" for a xenograft. Xenografts are not the gold standard, human is and will continue to be. TEI/Surgimend sells on one thing (in my personal experience) price. They are cheaper and that's it. I agree with the earlier post about this market being a dog eats dog world. You will need to be prepared to fight harder, work longer, and be more resilient than you ever have before. I do wish you the best of luck.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

New hires?

Did anyone get hired yet? The hiring manager in the SE is completely useless.
    Never answers calls or emails. Another corporate loser.