Is Arestin kicking your ASS?

Discussion in 'CollaGenex' started by Anonymous, May 18, 2004 at 12:50 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

For everyone that is dumping on the dental industry - go ahead and work in the medical pharma industry and find out why 90% of pharma reps are looking for another career. At least we get face time and can influence our customers. BTW, whoever posted the fact that orapharma reps are the cream of the crop is absolutely high - do not see it that way in my territory - making cash on both products. The bottom line in any type of sales job is to be an asset - know your shit and bring value.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You can actually get some quality time in derm, believe it or not. Derm's are all about relationships and access is fairly decent. It's still on the medical side and you have to deal with more lunches, dinners, etc. but you do get some selling time and can have good conversations once you get to know the doctor. Having sold to both, I'd sell to derm's any day of the week. I wouldn't necessarily say that about other areas, however, especially primary care. But the medical side still does have some great areas to work in, for the time being at least.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

you are soooo full of yourself

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You morons are unbelievable. For your info I've called on dentists, RHD's AND physicians. You people are the reason why capital and medical equipment people think the way do about pharm reps. In the context or our sales realm, SALES IS SALES. You couldn't sell a fresh side of beef to great white shark! Want to call me on that? From your answers I am 100% sure your numbers SUCK! NO real pro says "you haven't sold to dentists whaaaayyyy....you don't know what its like booohooo.." I have more than a decade of experience in med sales, so shut your yapper ALICE!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

KISS MY HAIRY ASS. yes sales is sales, and I have been selling for 15 years now. Just about everything you can imaging from straight commision to pharma. Dental sales is by far the strangest. These guys are not business people. The diffuculty is not opening the account, it is getting them to "sell" their products and services to the patients. That is where the ball gets dropped. I can open up a ton of new accounts in the course of a month. The difficult part is to get them to re-order. And before you give me any shit that they are not "sold on it" they are slapping down a credit card for $900-4,000 bill of goods. This does not happen as a courtesy this happens because you sold them. Unfortunately, it takes them 1 year to go through the product to re-order. Believe me, dentistry SUCKS. I am glad to be getting the hell out of it and back into specialty and PCP.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wow...ya'll are pretty harsh on the dental community. As a dental hygienest (and hygiene instructor) I find this webisite to be somewhat disheartening. I am constantly striving to learn and teach all of the newest and latest means of treating the variety of oral conditions we are faced with everyday while you are busy bashing one another and my profession. Just like with any scientifically based profession there are advancements, updates, revisions, etc to previous ways of thinking. Dental and hygiene education is evolving with the advancements of science. Have a little respect for those who have not quite caught up yet and may not understand or appreciate the new technology. There is no need to generalize us as "lazy" or "apathetic" because the majority of us truly care about our patients and want to do what is best for them. As far as "selling" a product to a patient, there are several factors to consider....What did it take to get the patient into your chair? So many people are terrified of the dentist so a vist to one is no tlike a regular checkup with your MD. So, when these types of people (and belive me there are many) do make it to the chair, what is the expense? Many people do not have the financial means to treat their periodontal condition in the "ideal" fashion. This is why we have informed consent. The patient makes the choice after we have given them their options and the cost involved. With that we have to do the best we can to help them. I think you all have really missed the boat here....I think that providing your customers with good quality information and presenting that information professionally and pleasantly will get you farther than you think. Calling us names and challenging our intelligence doesn't strike me as the best sales technique. Many years ago I left the mortgage business to become an RDH, I hoped to get away from the "cut throat" mentality of that business. I am sad that I have found that same mentality on this site.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I can appreciate your post, however keep in mind this site is used by disgruntle past and current employees as a playground to bash! Most of respect you and your profession because without you all there wouldn't be a need for us. So please be mindful of the childish games that some play on this site and just for the record they do it hoping to get a rise from others and to just start crap. Thanks for your thoughts and know that we do care!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    Wow...ya'll are pretty harsh on the dental community. As a dental hygienest (and hygiene instructor) I find this webisite to be somewhat disheartening. I am constantly striving to learn and teach all of the newest and latest means of treating the variety of oral conditions we are faced with everyday while you are busy bashing one another and my profession. Just like with any scientifically based profession there are advancements, updates, revisions, etc to previous ways of thinking. Dental and hygiene education is evolving with the advancements of science. Have a little respect for those who have not quite caught up yet and may not understand or appreciate the new technology. There is no need to generalize us as "lazy" or "apathetic" because the majority of us truly care about our patients and want to do what is best for them. As far as "selling" a product to a patient, there are several factors to consider....What did it take to get the patient into your chair? So many people are terrified of the dentist so a vist to one is no tlike a regular checkup with your MD. So, when these types of people (and belive me there are many) do make it to the chair, what is the expense? Many people do not have the financial means to treat their periodontal condition in the "ideal" fashion. This is why we have informed consent. The patient makes the choice after we have given them their options and the cost involved. With that we have to do the best we can to help them. I think you all have really missed the boat here....I think that providing your customers with good quality information and presenting that information professionally and pleasantly will get you farther than you think. Calling us names and challenging our intelligence doesn't strike me as the best sales technique. Many years ago I left the mortgage business to become an RDH, I hoped to get away from the "cut throat" mentality of that business. I am sad that I have found that same mentality on this site.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize we only call on dermatologists now, right?

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a former hygienist and former employee of CollaGenex. I was completely embarrassed by the vast majority of dentists and hygienists I used to call on. I estimate that 60-70% of them failed to properly diagnose and treat perio. Granted, many times the patient refuses treatment for the reasons you listed. However, many of these so called dental "professionals" had no clue how to put together an appropriate treatment plan for their patients. Discussions with hygienists about adjunctive therapies and overall perio treatmant plans were met with blank stares. The dental hygiene programs and dental schools are failing miserably to educate these people. Dentists and hygienists who graduated in years past do not keep up with new research. It is pathetic. CollaGenex is out of the dental field permanently. I am sure the company will be greatly missed by all of the organizations who cried for funds and then never wrote an rx or purchased any atridox. If you disagree with everyone on the board who questions the intelligence and professionalism of dentists and hygienists, why don't you tell us all you know about how Periostat treats periodontal disease? This is your chance to prove your intelligence to this board and all of the naysayers. Make it good.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

[​IMG] I sold to dentists when this product was owned by Block. I much prefer to call on physicians. But if you enjpoy your job, I think that is great.

Getting a dentist to buy, try and use your product consistantly is difficult!

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

you are such losers I used to sell 45k per quarter in atridox. Dentists loved it and they love to see reps cuz there are so few dental reps.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Can we please stop with the dental posts already. We are a derm company - let's move on.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I just came from my dentist, or should I say my former dentist. I was given 14 packets of Arestin. My understanding, from the Arestin site, is that each packet contains 1 milligram of Arestin. I was charged $60 per packet. It took the dentist about 5 minutes to place the packets. I assume that the dentist paid less than $60 per packet, and charged for his expertise in placing the packets.

Let's say that there are 453.7 grams per pound, times 1000 for milligrams gives about 453,700 milligrams per pound. At $50 per milligram (assuming the dentist charged $10 per placement, or $140 for 5 minutes of work), a pound of Arestin would be almost $23 million, and an ounce would be almost $1.5 million.

Pretty impressive. I think that I will watch "Sicko" again.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

you obviously spend to much time analyzing.... what does the starbucks coffee you drink actually cost that cost you $5? What does the Coke at your local 7-11 actually cost? Probably .5 cents and you pay 1.50...that's the way it works ......bend over and pay up!

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What a stupid response.....you are a great advocate for gouging the patient and protecting your company ......idiot !

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

First of all you're an idiot for paying that much for a dental proceedure without getting a second opinion. And secondly, WE DON'T SELL ARESTIN!! So go complain on the Orapharma site.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am just personally shocked after paying $ 247 for teeth cleaning. This included $75 for arestin on 1 tooth. $25 for X ray to same tooth. And $45 for perio maintenance to place arestin in 2 pockets.

Why is this so expensive? Is nova caine that expensive? No. So whats the deal with arestin.

I am shocked!!!!!! Plus being talked to RUDELY *** by the dentist
    is disgusting.

Arestin should be $20 a syringe with no extra cost to place in gums.

What a rip off................................

I'm just paying the Dentists Cadillac Car Payment and gas bill.