What is it like working at ALexion?

Discussion in 'Pharma/Biotech Comp - Gen Discussion |Pharma Sales' started by Anonymous, Jan 28, 2010 at 8:15 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

TO be honest, I can't remember how many options I received, but it wasn't much. You are correct about Recruiters - They get paid if you take the job and that's all they care about - they will glorify the job - so you will take it.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What is the manager like out here?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The 10am weekday poster strikes again. you be the judge - does this person seem like a top performer? the doors are not locked - please leave.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

and I post on cafe pharma at 10am 11:30am each weekday, tune in here for my pitty party. I have no clue why my results stink. i need to listen to my own inner voice.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I would say that some of the above information is very true. It is a very up and down job. The stock options, which can be good, really depend on your strike price. You really need to look at the market right now and compare it to past history. Having done this before, don't let options be your reason for taking the job.

It is fun when you finally find the patient, but getting the doctor treat with Soliris is another story. Bonus pay is all over the board, and the best geographies usually have a PNH expert within territory that "see and treat" PNH. You will work harder at this job than any other drug rep job you've ever had.

From what I hear, my colleagues out West love and trust their RSM. I couldn't say the same about mine.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That person was only speaking the truth and I share their thoughts and respect their honesty. Also, you have no clue what their situation is by looking at that time stamp. They may be on vacation or those comments could have been monitored by cafepharma before being posted and in that case it can be hours later.

Reading your comments - you sound frustrated. Who are you trying to convince - others or yourself?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi Dumbas* For your information, I am out working and have remote internet access 24 hours a day. If I am waiting for a physician or taking a lunch, I have the right to check the internet out. I am certain I am a much better rep than you. In the future, mind your own business. You are one of the exact reasons why not to work here.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Does anyone have information on the benefit package? Salary?

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have heard it depends on experiece, from $100K-130K max. salary. Bonus is strange bc it on pts starts, number of cycles, etc. It has typical pharma package, 401K, stock purchase plan, auto allowance, etc.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am surprised with the large territory that they don't offer a company car

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

$1K per month car allowance - i drive a benz

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

started in dec 2006 stock options worth @ 700K

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

thanks S.O.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No problem.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

right...pass me your bong please

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I totally agree with you. Woever posted that 700k is a complete moron. The bottom line is you need to be happy at what you do. If you find this job fulfilling, then great for you. The overwhelming majority of reps out there however would not find this job rewarding. One patient per Million...No one will want to see you regularly. If you are proud you were able to put 5 patients on this drug in a whole year's time, then great. This would be a better job if they had an additional drug that was used regulary and that would certainly help with access issues and give you a great blend of agents. This is a one pony show. Most experts agree that it generally isn't wise to go with a pharmaceutical/biotech job that focuses on a rare disease state.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ok, someone who started in 2006 could have stock worth that much (or close to it) if they are a manager now. In response to someone else's inaccurate post, there is no stock purchase plan and the bonus depending on "patient cycles" makes no sense. If you are that close to going to final interview, why aren't you asking these questions of people who can give you real answers versus those who have an axe to grind and/or are looking themselves. You are definitely better off somewhere else and I mean that sincerely. Listen to your gut and good luck in your continued search...

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree with the post above. I have worked for this company for the past 2 years and I am miserable. I do what I have to do and work hard but this is not a great environment. Like te other poster said, I also sincerely am giving you the best advice - there are better opportunities out there. If you are totally desperate and have been laid off - then take the job. Otherwise, I would listen to your gut as well and move on.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

one pony shows like... Amgen, Genentech, Celgene, Genzyme, Idec, Biogen - keep listening to the experts...and your inner voice(s)
    they all started with a big basket of drugs. its probably only 500k anyway

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No one appreciates the sarcasm. Alexion has been a one pony show for years now. You couldn't say that with any of the other companies you have listed. In addition, it is an extremely rare disease state - much more rare than anything the other companies you posted had to deal with. Hey, if you want to defend your job - great - more power to you. But, in ost cases this would not be a good move given the rarity of the drug and no other drug to also sell. If Alexion were smart, they should purchase another drug that would call on the same targets. This would help with access and other issues. All of the other companies you listed did one thing you haven't mention - they diversified their product lines. Alexion - on product & rare. Yeah, that sounds rewarding and fun.