Working while collecting severance pay

Discussion in 'Abbott' started by Anonymous, Apr 18, 2012 at 5:12 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Got laid off and have a chance at a new job sooner than expected. It is a great opportunity and should be a perfect fit. Has anyone worked while getting severance from Abbott? How would they know if you started working before your continuation pay period was over?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No idea but treat it as severance was given to compensate you for the BS you went through leading up to the ax coming down, ie: threats of plans, memos, letters, etc etc and the ever hanging re org coming rumors and discussions. Go to work!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

They will know because the department of labor will report it to abbot

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The Dept. of Labor can't even get the unemployment figures correct, they'll never know if you're working.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I've worked while under severance pay. I doubt Abbott will be looking, but you have to remain unnoticed too. If anyone knows or see's you working they may feel obligated to report you. If it's brought to Abbott Legal's attention then they will come after you. Good luck, and stay under the radar.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It all depends on the contract you signed when leaving. If it stipulates that you must stop getting severance when you find a new job, so be it. Otherwise the pay is all yours.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The acronym to look for is PILON payment in lieu of notice. If your severance deal includes that clause you don't need to worry about staying low, if it, doesn't it's your call.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The dude saying the guvmint will inform them is completely lying.

The only way they know is if you open your trap.

Keep your new job on the down low till you have recieved your full severance benefit.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hospira asked folks to be honest and inform Hospira if they got a new gig before the end of their severence period.

Would you like to know how many did?

Try like 2 people out of a couple thousand.

And they were folks that would have had a hard time staying under the radar because they went to Abbott.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I want my fuckin money back mother fucker!

Miles W.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It was nice to see that Abbott hired 2 people out of 2 thousand it let go from Hospira. That's it, I let them know if I get a job before my severance period is over..........not!!!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I've known several people who collected both just by keeping it quiet, easier depending on the type of job you get, but it's possible. I'd keep the onus on Abbvie to find out if they need the money so badly...the ball is in their court not yours, as far as I'm concerned. Good luck.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Believe me nobody will have the time to chase you unless you are dumb and tell somebody about your new gig before you've collected ever last penny under the severance agreement.

Once the severance is fully paid out feel free to rub it in other peoples faces about your new gig.

Miles won't miss it too much because he gets to report the expense as a one-time expense to his friends on Wall Street.

Another thing Abbott/Abbvie does not want you to know is that you don't have to immediately accept and sign your severance package. You can ask for more and not signing on the spot does not mean you get nothing just that it is the start of a negotiation.

Toodles

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Suck it Miles :)

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

you are not required to sign on the spot anyway. you have 30 days to sign and return the document. it is a very strongly worded letter explaining what would void the agreement, including discussing your package with anyone.

you can ask all you want, chances are slim that they'll negotiate on this. they have the leverage. once 30 days passes without signing that document, you get nothing.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Funny on the press released Miles and his underling goons have already announced that they are taking a one time charge out of the quarterly earnings to take care of your trouble. So either way, your severance has been written off, Miles would love to have you report in so he can keep more.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Funny Miles and his underling goons have taken to the press that they took a one time charge at the quarterly earnings to write off the expenses taking care of your trouble. Either way, your severance have been written off as bad debts having to carry you after all these years. So be a loyal beast of burden and report in so Miles can happily keep the rest of the dough collaterated to you.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

They will not know unless you tell them. So do not tell them. I was laid off with 2000 of my friends so believe me I know. just do not tell anyone from abbott you got a job. Good luck!

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you want to make life a living hell for the Abbot/Abbvie restructuring team(s) don't immediately sign your agreement and ask for more.

If they have the thirty day language in the agreement then be mindful of that but don't let it stop you from screwing with em for a few days.

Cmon folks...let em know what you think about their promise for life.