Quest IT Outsourcing

Discussion in 'Quest Diagnostics' started by Anonymous, May 4, 2013 at 11:08 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I thought this was a company wide lecture and not specific to IT ?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I thought the IT Update call was only for those being retained by Quest? I did not get an invite, while someone else who I know is being retained did...

Anyone brave enough to post the dial in info? :)

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Specifically, I am referring to the IT Update call for retained folks at 3:00pm EDT today - NOT the SR call at 11:00am. I think the former would be much more interesting to listen to... <snicker>

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

JH is thrilled when people leave before collecting a retention bonus - it just gets him a bigger bonus. Its a safe bet that there is nothing in his compensation package that is impacted by actual operations performance, and he'll blame whoever's retained for whatever negative results. He's made it clear he's only here for a couple more years, then hopes to join bunch of Boards of Directors... so inspiring.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ok. Can somebody who was on the 3:00 PM call spill the beans?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was told I was being retained, but I didn't get invited to a 3:00pm call.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It was mostly a Q&A session for people being retained. Also blabbed about how things will get better as time goes on and how things are going to be so much better.

They scheduled two more for 10/02 & 10/23.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hay is quest looking to buy shiels lab in brooklyn

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's going to be infinitely better ... for those of us who are getting the axe.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There are jobs available outside of Quest. Depending on your area of specialty you might even be able to get a modest raise out of it.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Quest has posted notice at the West Norriton site (and I suspect other sites) that they are attempting to obtain over 700 H1B visa status applicants through Wipro. And even though H1B status visas are only supposed to be for jobs that can't be filled with local workers, I know that it really means that hundreds will be losing their jobs. Once they train their replacements, of course.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Where did you see it posted?

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm no lawyer, but if that is the case, why isn't this practice illegal -- according to the site below, not only do they have to prove that they've attempted to hire a US citizen, but they also must pay the "prevailing wage".

No one is going to tell me truthfully that these positions are being paid at the same rate as what I currently make, and that no one from the US can do my job.

http://www.cringely.com/2012/10/23/what-americans-dont-know-about-h-1b-visas-could-hurt-us-all/

Why aren't people threatening a lawsuit over this?

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Posted on the bulletin board, second floor, Egypt Rd. By law they have to post those things. But I just noticed it by accident since I don't pay much attention to the bulletin boards since they usually don't have any new notices on them. May have been up for a few days and may also be at other sites.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Does seem like it should be illegal. It's my understanding that H1B visas are for jobs that can't be filled by US workers. But when US workers are being laid off, and have to train their off-shore replacements, it doesn't seem as if it is being done for a technical need.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There is nothing illegal in applying for the visas (unless they apply fraudulently); you would have to sue the government for giving the visas in violation of the law. Good luck with that.

-The employer pays H-1B non-immigrants the same wage level paid to all other individuals with similar experience and qualifications for that specific employment, or the prevailing wage for the occupation in the area of employment, whichever is higher.
    -The employment of H-1B non-immigrants does not adversely affect working conditions of workers similarly employed.
    -The law requires H-1B workers to be paid the higher of the prevailing wage for the same occupation and geographic location, or the same as the employer pays to similarly situated employees. Other factors, such as age and skill were not permitted to be taken into account for the prevailing wage.

They will pay these people the same that they pay the current workers (and more, when you add in all the extra costs of bringing someone onshore), but its only temporary until they get up to speed and move everyone offshore, at a fraction of the cost.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Prevailing wages - my ass !!! You do realize these are IT people here and that any number of them have full access to see what the actual salaries of current Quest employees are?

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Here are the similar documents posted at West Norriton:

H1-B LCA Slots Applied for specifically mentioning Wipro at the QDC site.
    LCA Validity: Sept 12, 2013 to Sept 11, 2016

# positions, Prevailing wage and title as listed on the forms at the QDC.

50 slots; $88,046; System Administrator Level 3
    50 slots; $84,302; Consultant Level 3
    50 slots; $78,603; Project Manager
    250 slots; $74,277; System Administrator
    15 slots; $74,277; Engineer
    50 slots; $70,762; Consultant
    100 slots; $70,762; Lead Engineer
    50 slots; $66,061; Database Administrator
    50 slots; $64,334; Programmer Analyst
    50 slots; $60,000; Database Administrator Level 1

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Here you go folks. What Quest is attempting appears to be complete abuse of the law regarding H-1B. There is actually a list on the page of willing violators so they do actually pursue it.
    Who is going to contact the USDOL? I bet that they are counting on nobody due to a severance loss risk...

http://www.dol.gov/whd/immigration/h1b.htm

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

After more thought, since quest isn't directly hiring these people, technically they are not replacing anyone. Whatever the case, they appear to be trying to skirt the law by using the consulting company to provide separation.

Wipro is probably the proper target for the feds. They can certainly find skilled workers here.

I wonder how the government would see it?