Covidien company culture

Discussion in 'Covidien' started by Anonymous, Dec 14, 2009 at 1:11 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have had interview recently, and was wondering how those with the company feel about working here. Have you ever worked anywhere else to compare? I'm coming from 10yrs at big Pharma, and was recently displaced due to realignment. Only serious responses please, I can do w/o the jackasses who get on here and bitch or make shit up.
    Thank you

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am in the same situation and have the same questions.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

it depends on the division, each has its own culture...

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Coming from big pharma years ago, I love this company. It has been such a great change and the new management is awesome and no BS. My DM is awesome, I think most are pretty good as well.

I've really enjoyed working here... best of luck on your interviews!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I've been here for over a year and I worked for big pharma a few years ago. This is a totally different world. Most manager are really decent to work for and they are not over paid babysitters. They expect you to do your job without them having to follow you around all day. My manager will normally meet me for lunch or coffee but he does not spend the entire day with me listening for a verbatim pitch.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Just got the call for a final interview in GA. Any input on this? What can I expect?

I know the base is around 50 but is there alot of bonus potential? I believe I am in an expansion market for pennsaid.

I was hoping to get into med device but no one is knocking down my door because I'm comin from b2b. I'm makin 100k now, but theres not much room for growth where I am. Would I be taking a huge paycut?

Is it easier to shift to device once you're already working for covidien? Any help is appreciated.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

if your making 100k you better stay there. Don't belittle your B2B. Med device loves B2B. AS soon as you go PHARMA, i promise you will be black balled from device sales..........they hate pharma reps. Ive been told that if I would have stayed at my B2B job then things would be different, but now that pharma is on my resume they wont touch me.

This is my take as far as recruiters and 3rd party screening. If you know the manager or somehow can make it face to face then your golden but its a huge challenge to break past that barrier.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm just getting ready to start the interviewing process with Covidien for a pharma job. It was mentioned that I will receive some sort of online assessment to complete. Can anyone will me in on what I should expect. Aptitude Test??? thanks

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

no offense, but if you cant crush the online assessment, i'm not sure what to tell you. Use common sense.

As far as the phone interview, I sold them on how much I want to work for Covidien. Huge company, great reputation (great balance sheet for a huge company). After they told me about the drug I'd be selling, I researched it to extensively and used the knowledge on my 2nd phone interview to demonstrate how much potential it had in the marketplace.

As for the poster above, I understand that pharma is a black mark on your resume because its not direct selling, but is coming on board with covidien pharma one step closer to transitioning into their med device division?

I've been offered 2 pharma jobs since I've started my search and turned them both down because of the seemingly low potential to maximize pay. Bonuses seem to be set, especially if you're working in pods.

I'd love to get into device but no one will hire me from B2b without making me an associate or junior rep first (55-65k no expenses, no commission, being a reps bitch for 2 years)

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ask how many reps made goal in 2009 and 2010 will be just as bad.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I almost have to wonder if some of the existing reps are trying to block newbies out. Why I have no idea but the responses on this board are always as if they're warning us not to run into a burning building. Its so hard to to believe its all bad, being that covidien is an industry leader and one of the largest med companies to work for. Then again, maybe I want so badly to believe one of these jobs im getting offered is worth a damn.

I turned down offers from Forest (selling lexapro, etc) and Galderma (selling cutiscience) in the last 6 months because of the responses i've gotten on cafepharma. Mostly becuase I doubted wanting to get into pharma. However, my lack of OR experience is hindering my ability to get directly into device. I wish someone could tell me if joining covidien as a pharma rep makes it easier to transition to their device side. I know it pains you guys to give a positive response, but can anyone at least answer that question?

Im so worn out from interviews. The only med device company thats considering me is a shitty one whos VP just got fired from Smith and Nephew. I think im gonna kill myself, cause I dont want to spend one more year in B2B. How the hell is it possible that I can make 100k selling a shitty B2b product, but everyone on these boards is telling me "you wont make six figures here...run!...run!" There has got to be some satisfied employees somewhere. Otherwise, people would be going into pharma first then moving up the wonderful world of office furniture or copiers.

Well thats my venting for today. If you dont like it, kiss my ass. Merry Christmas everyone.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thank you.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Honest answer regarding Covidien Specialty Sales?? Believe it or not, this company was an absolute dream a few years ago when it was still small pharma atmoshpere. Then when the company decided to go big pharma, it changed. Yeah some of you will say all companies change, this one changed for the worst. With the new CEO throwing his "ideal company" approach to this company, this is a warning to look elsewhere. His moto is to put anyone who is below minimum goals 90% on plans. Regardless of past performance! Let me repeat regardless of past performance and how much $$$ you have brought the company in sales. To date, our ranking report has well over 10 Vacant territories out of 100!! Come on 100! At the latest round of action the bottom 20 of the latest ranking have been put on PIP's and not even given a CAP first. Usual PIP's are 90 days from the day you sign and acknowledge it. Not this company, it went back 60 days from date signed and your given 30 days to reach 100%!! I could not believe what my coworkers told me but I verified it with several of them on the same plan! These reps were past President Club winners and have been with the company for years. I have been tired of working for this company because the moral has been butchered. Everyone in sales and corporate are working in fear of their jobs, now is that a company you really want to work for? If you do take this job, I cant wait for your reaction after a year! And Yes I am looking but most offers now a days are well below what I am making now, but I cant take it anymore and will take the pay cut!

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wow. I have not heard the PIP stories. Anyone else hear this?

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No BS, Covidien is a great company to work for but be under no illusions, they want results and a track record of success. Of course you will find unhappy employees everywhere. How many happy employees are going to venture onto this site? Chances are high you are not getting a good representation here. I came from B2B A number of years ago so I have seen every interation of the company. This is by far the best. Is it perfect? Of course not, but what company is? Covidien is a leader in their field, taking market share from competitors and the compensation is great if you are growing your business. The comment about culture is correct, every division is different. I am in Device and I prefer to hire successful B2B people. Some Surgical Device divisions, like EBD, are more likely to require previous clinical experience, more because of the training component than anything else. the old US Surgical division has great training and wants good sales people. Pharma is a black mark with some hiring managers but not with others. I will interview Pharma reps if they have some B2B experience but experience has taught me that they have trouble making the jump if they have been in Pharma very long. I don't rule them out automatically but make them jump through hoops to be sure they can make the transiton successfully. It is possible to move from one division to another but the jumps are usually from one device company to another. It is more rare to move from Pharma to Device but not impossible. Keep pushing and you will get there but try to get to the manager directly. Be creative, some are very receptive to your efforts, especially in device.
    Good Luck!

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

to the last poster, you pharma people have been spoiled...

of course PIPs shouldnt depend on past results. Sales is about "what have you done for me lately". In b2b, I cant make a huge sale then coast for 2 months...I have to continue produce week in and week out. Our PIPs last 3 pay periods (6 weeks) and if you havent improved at least one then you are on verbal, then written, then canned. I have been selling this garbage for 6 years and I've never had a verbal.

Every company in every industry is trying to streamline their sales functions - its a MUST in this economy. I dont care if you're in pharma, med device, car sales, or copiers...its not the golden days anymore. Fortunately I've never had it easy since I my sales career started when this recession began.

Reps used to write 50% loss at my company and still make 100K inside sales over the telephone in 1999...thats impossible now.

Thanks for the feedback but lets be realistic. You can accuse me of thinking "the grass is greener" in pharma because I'm trying to get out of b2b, but suggesting its so horrible there is the same when everyone across industries are suffering from the same increased quotas, micromanagement, and "performance plans".

I want to get out because I'm selling a product that flat out doesnt work and I'm selling lies to customers.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hello,

I have been reading the posts and appreciate all of the info. sharing. I have many years of B2B sales, and had made $150. I am very interested in getting into device sales and have not been able to...every company seems to want you to have previous industry exprience! But to get that exprience you have to get a medical device job and to get a medical device job they want you to have exprience! See my problem?!

I thought that by getting into pharma sales, not my first choice by any means!, was a way to eventually get into medical device sales...but based on the postings that does not sound like the right strategy. Can anyone expand further on this?

I have had 2 phone interviews with Covidien...one was a screening with HR and one was with the hiring manager. I am suppose to fly out next week to Atlanta for a panel interview (yikes!) and benefits presentation. I do not want to waste my time and theirs and am having serious second thoughts about care path and of course income!!!!

How much does the Covidien sales rep make? What are the salary ranges...not much info. out their about Covidien...i check glassdoor, etc.. And how often do these reps make plan and can actually achieve bonuses and leverage the comp plan...if not very often then your true pay is just the salary..which seems to be around $70k.

Serious input or advice would be appreciated!

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You show me yours and I'll show you mine.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am also flying out to GA next week for the interviews. Does anyone know if the panel interveiw is mostly STAR questions? For the other writer, what state are you hiring for?

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

for the other interviewer it is for Fl. and is for a new pain med that is suppose to be coming out soon. how about you?

let me know if you get any feedback on the panel interviews in Atlanta. I too am wondering how best to prepare...STAR, etc...