Covidien company culture

Discussion in 'Covidien' started by Anonymous, Dec 14, 2009 at 1:11 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Is Pennsaid a good product??! i too am being interviewed to sell this product when it comes available along with another product that they hope to get approval on.

some wrote that it was a joke...i am wondering why?

any feedback would be appreicated....just want to know what i am getting myself into!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I just noticed a new posting for the respiratory division and wondering if anyone has info. on this division. Thanks

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am also flying out on Wednesday for an interview for a position in San Diego, CA. Does anyone have any insight on this Pennsaid Hiring Conference? I would like to know how the panel interview is conducted. If anyone knows please SHARE THE WEALTH! I also have medical sales experience and have been told by 2 recruiters that Pharma will end my chances with a lot of companies in the future.

To the other "anonymous" writer..where did you find a b2b job that you are making 100? or 150? Maybe I should be applying there!!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You live in San Diego...I'm willing to be most B2b jobs allow the potential to make 100k unless you live in Pennsyltucky. Ive made 100k the last 4 years selling the shitty old yellow pages. Spare me from the bs responses, I dont care what you think and you're just wasting you time and space on this board. I'm just giving a truthful response.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Could you help me understand what you mean by B2B, please? What is this? I've sold diagnostics and pharma, so how is that different from B2B?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

"Could you help me understand what you mean by B2B, please? What is this? I've sold diagnostics and pharma, so how is that different from B2B?"

Did you go to college???? It's business to business sales. It's actually selling a product. Completely different than pharma.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Covidien is a good place to start a career. But, it is not the Kendall of years gone by. Training has always been a plus. But, out of now where major layoffs in multiple divisions in the last few months. Stock has risen well latelty. Coviden is pretty much an operationally and finance run company. They squeeze every pennie and make cuts quickly if not hitting a bottm line number. Leadership does a nice job of rah, rah. Pretty decent products. Tons of backorders due to lack of manufacturing investment over the years. Managers will not tell you too much and have very limited impact on comapny direction. Ultimately, Sr leadership wants it to be another J&J. With exception of a couple divisions that is not likely. Loyalty is not reciprocol or a strong suit any more. So, do not count on that.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

RE: ***COVIDIEN EBD*** PLEASE READ

I worked as a rep for Covidien EBD for 3 years. I earned back to back Eagle Awards and sold alot of capital and disposables. I am very confident that i did the best job that i could for that company. My customers were great and loved interacting with me. I will say with 100% honesty, that i have never worked for such an evil & money grubbing corporation in my entire life. Their Regional Managers are constantly living day to day wondering if they will be fired. In doing so they treat their reps like a piece of scrap metal in a junkyard. The Area Vice Presidents behave like narcissistic clowns when in actuality they are just Regional Managers themselves and the RM's are just supervisors. Most managers have spent very little time in the field and are just promoted based off politics and numbers. Usually you will very arrogant and fake individuals as managers inside this organization, which used to be known as Valleylab. The quotas for the whole USA are built off some equation that acts as though we are at 0% employment and full production. (Economic wetdream) This company uses fear and intimidation tactics like no other in the business. They are very arrogant in front of the customers and take a very brash approach to hospitals that ask for any sort of price concession. Large medical centers do not like dealing with Covidien because if the upper management does come in for a meeting they will just waltz in wearing flashy suits and acting as though they don't need the business because they are so wealthy. Good luck making it past 2-3 years as a rep in this company. The only way to do this is to have a plethora of large medical centers to continue to grow from, or protection from you manager. Once you blowout your numbers they push your quota through the roof. Even if you have converted every doc to Ligasure they will still raise your annual quota by 300K. This company is top heavy with a boatload of Kendall employees that left Kendall 10-15 years ago to pollute what is now Covidien EBD with their cronyism. When you get your W2 you actually can see that you still work for Tyco Healthcare not Covidien. We all know why they don't use the Tyco name anymore. If not do your research on their former leader. All in All i would steer very clear of this organization. This is accurate and honest information. All i can ask is that you read it.
    Thanks,

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Stay away from this Company. The products suck! You will never make bonus, the covereagei s terrible! If you are in B2B and making 100K stay there! You will never make bonus at Covidien. Ask the reps how many of them hit bonus in 2009 or 2010. Id bet you get less than 15%.

I REPEAT STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I thought you folks sold medical equipment?? If you do sell medical equipment, why bonus? Sold medical equipment and got a commission. Maybe I got it all wrong.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's confusing because the idiot device reps can't find their own board here on CP.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

DON'T COME HERE! Take it from a former DM who knows!

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

AGREED, stay away from Covidien!
    This is a "management by intimidation" company. If the economy were better many districts would be empty over night.

Sales reps are NOT valued and most people I know go to work with a knot in their stomach and fear every day. This is worse than big pharma!

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Agreed. I'm ranked in the top 10% of the company, excellent call metrics, trending 100%+ with Exalgo and 90%+ with Pennsaid... And yet I go to work every day with a knot in my stomach. Management is fickle here. You get a pat on the back for having good, consistent numbers 4 weeks in a row, and when you come across a bad week, the DM will question your ability to sell. Just imagine the reps who aren't making their numbers (which is a majority). Look elsewhere if you can.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This company has unrealistic expectations of their reps. Run and run fast.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree. I came from "big pharma" and was hired on as part of the expansion early last year. This is one mis-managed company! Months after a dual launch, the president or VP (can't tell who is what anymore) either left or was let go. Then there was a regional reorg. The salesforce didn't even have their goals til December, and the quarter started in Oct! Top it all off, you'll only make a bonus being in the "right" territory. Doesn't matter how stellar of a rep you are.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have never posted on CP before, and have only used it as a resource for researching other companies and opportunities. I have been in pharma for almost 4 years, and was in B2B sales prior. I am a good sales person, with a track record to prove it. I work well with any type of manager or colleague. I typically do not complain, and I try to look for the positive in situations so that I can maintain a positive attitude to go out here and do my job each day. I've been with Covidien for a short time now, and for those who are considering an opportunity with the pharma division of this company--I am posting this information for your benefit.

If you are in absolute need of a job, and you have no other options out there, I can understand one taking this job. But this should be a last resort pharma job. I have never seen goals so drastically skewed in the company's favor. You see zero commission unless you are in a territory with favorable formulary, which is rare. Regardless of how hard you work, how smart you work, or how great of a rep you are...if your drugs aren't covered, you don't sell. They tell you these things are taken into consideration during the goaling period. But I find that very difficult to believe. I'm disappointed in this job. I feel like the longer I am here, the more foolish I look. I need a job, so I'll stay until something better comes along. You don't get credit for the scripts you get due to faulty reporting, managed care team is not winning the plans we need, management is feeling pressure, it's trickling down to the reps and the environment is very negative. I have yet to be impressed with anyone within this organization, and I'm so frustrated because I work harder than most reps I know with any company. But as I said before, no coverage = no scripts. I'm surprised I'm not on a PIP, but so many other reps are in similar situations, I suppose they have to see some fault of their own. The drugs aren't bad, in fact, I enjoy selling them. But what good is the best drug if no one can afford it, a little less efficacy or inconvenience is acceptable when the price is right. I had higher expectations, and I feel let down.

In the meantime, I'm here until my job hunt produces a better opportunity. But don't do what I did, and leave a job for this one. I wish all of my fellow reps the best of luck in chipping away at these goals. I hope the managers in the field learn from this experience and become better at what they do, and I hope upper management takes it upon themselves to reconsider their direction before all of the talent they acquired leaves and they're left starting from scratch.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I feel for you, but did you bother reading any of the previous posts in this thread?? Love #11 where it is implied the veteran reps were creating this atmosphere for all of you newbs.

I hope the managers in the field learn from this experience and become better at what they do, and I hope upper management takes it upon themselves to reconsider their direction before all of the talent they acquired leaves and they're left starting from scratch.[/QUOTE]

Brother, wake up! The talent left years ago!
    A very sincere good luck!

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sir or Madam,

I applaud you in making a post that gives honest feedback about this company. I was in your shoes 4 years ago, first year with a different pharma company coming from B2B. I left an excellent job in the telecom industry breaking 6 figures during my last year. I was under the impression that pharma sales was THE dream sales job and wanted in so badly. Like so many pharma rep wannabes, I was caught up in the "glitz & glamor" of the pharma industry.

I came in at a decline of the industry with a big pharma company to find out the hard way that this is not real sales. So many uncontrollable factors (managed care, data reporting, territory disposition) determined your fate and paycheck. My manager was a newly promoted rep who didn't know how to manage her way out of the closed box that contained her scope of thinking. To make matters worse, 6 months into the gig, layoffs were announced. It was the worst career decision I've ever made, but I chose to stick it out. 4+ years of anxiety and headaches. I was finally laid off last year, and tried to get back into B2B, but the companies I interviewed with balked at my pharma experience as they saw it as a negative.

I grew desperate and took a position with Covidien during the expansion recruiting process at a decrease in salary. Let me put it this way... Covidien makes my former company look like a dream job. This is a nightmare that I can't seem to wake up from. I've never seen such mismanagement, biased decision-making, negligible support, and poor planning! My territory has severe managed care issues, and my manager just tells me to suck it up and look for scripts elsewhere. I made goal with Pennsaid and missed the mark with Exalgo during launch, and my goals have increased the most in my district! Now I'm being threatened with a PIP because I'm not trending to hit 100%. If you're browsing Cafe Pharma to do research on this company, I highly suggest to look elsewhere, out of this industry even. For my colleagues at Covidien, let's just hope that there will be some improvement by the upcoming national meeting in March.

(BTW, who in their right mind would pull the reps from the field for an entire week in the last month of the selling quarter?!)

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The same monkeys that pulled us out during the last selling weeks of the last sales period. Duh.