Victoza and Thyroid Cancer

Discussion in 'Novo Nordisk' started by Anonymous, Jan 12, 2011 at 9:54 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Much has been said on this board about Victoza causing Thyroid cancer only in rodents with no evidence of the effect in humans and so forth:

Here is an excerpt of section 5.1 of the Victoza PI sheet:

In the clinical trials, there have been 4 reported cases of thyroid C-cell hyperplasia among Victoza®treated patients and 1 case in a comparator-treated patient (1.3 vs. 0.6 cases per 1000 patient-years).One additional case of thyroid C-cell hyperplasia in a Victoza®-treated patient and 1 case of MTC in a comparator-treated patient have subsequently been reported. This comparator-treated patient with MTC had pre-treatment serum calcitonin concentrations >1000 ng/L suggesting pre-existing disease.

And so Victoza may not be dioxin but it certainly ain't roses either.

Let the name calling begin and profanity begin...

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

and did you happen to look at the calcitonin concentrations for the 4 Victoza patients pre-trial? Also high. Clearly, something going on in all these patients prior to the trial. Even the MTC patient on the comparator.

Quit stirring an empty pot.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There is no mention of calcitonin concentrations in the 4 Victoza patients - this is because they were normal. If you read the complete paragraph it appears that NN tested every participants' calcitonin pre-trial.

3 more people out of approximately 250 developed thyroid cancer than would have if they were kept off Victoza and this was a relatively short study in comparison to the length of time a person would be expected to be on Victoza. Logically it would be expected that additional thyroid tumors would be revealed in a longer study.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

check out the epir. it shows the levels were elevated in these patients.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

wrong. all had elevated levels. do your research.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So I thought this may be a good drug to look at for my type 2 .. but reading this here looks like bad stuff to me. I can not afford my Janumet 365.00 a month. I need a good drug for my type 2 any suggestions. I have HORRIBLE side effects with the Metamorfin (sp) or however it is spelled. The Janumet is a bit better but the side effects are still uncomfortable. I have been trolling boards for weeks and my Doctor is an ass and gives no real help. Sees me for 15 min and out the door barely looks me in the face.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Here's a suggestion: Get off of CafePharma.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, this is only for people who know for a fact that Victoza does not cause cancer and that the FDA is trying to screw Novo on a wrong basis.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Actually, it's simply an awful place to solicit medical advice.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So right.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ok, I'll call it..... "Soon to be a blockbuster" - how's that?

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Fuckbuster, I'll go along with that.