» Sponsored ads

» Sponsored ads

» Sponsored ads

Pharma Sales Jobs

Go Back   Cafepharma Message Boards > Pharma/Biotech Companies > GlaxoSmithKline
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

GlaxoSmithKline Anonymous board for GlaxoSmithKline

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-23-2008, 03:20 PM
Anonymous

Default Re: Why is Zofran so expensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Wow I was actually looking for a real answer to this question and I can't believe I wasted my time coming to this site. The people on here slinging mud are acting like pathetic children. If you just want someone to argue with then this is the site to be on. Thanks for wasting my time and I won't be back here..............lame
So you posted this back in March and just came back today for the answer? I would hardly say your time was wasted. Don't waste our time by bringing up old posts about generic drugs that we don't even promote anymore.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:32 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
It probably means either, that (1)there is minimal competition on the generic...or that (2) there is collusion among the generic companies to keep prices up. Or, it could mean (3) collusion among pharmacies to keep prices up. Any way you look at it, someone is making alot of money on a drug for which they had to do nothing but prove bioequivalence on. Pretty sweet!
If the generic companies are doing so well why is Mylan's share price in the toilet? Why aren't we seeing fat dividends and rising share prices?
Old 08-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Anonymous

Grumble Re: Why is Zofran ODT so expensive?

I'm on this while pregnant. They gave it to me because Phenergain doesn't work for me and Reglan has been causing so many medical problems right now.
My last pregnancy I was also on Zofran ODT. That stuff is a God send! since I had hyperemisis.

But I went to the pharmacy to get some and it took 3 days because of the price. They had to check with my insurance which is to cover 100% of all of my prescriptions. I asked her how much is was going to cost for the 45 pills and she told me "oh about $1300.00"
I'm thanking God right now for my insurance because my last pregnancy I took Zofran 2-3 a day to keep my hyperemisis in check from month 2 to month 10. I was still very sick after I had my baby.

Can you imagine how much that would have costed? I'm just praying that this pregnancy morning sickness goes away before it turns into that. I'm on month 3.

But my point is... If they use it for pregnant woman and cancer patients. Shouldn't the price go down.
I asked how much the generic was and she told me that wit was about $400.00.

CRAZY!
Old 08-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
If you taking ondansetron, you must be a chemo patient? Isn't it worth not praying to the porcelan(sic) throne? When we launched the drug in the late 80's, chemo nurses and patients were VERY GLAD to have it. Thank the chemists for discovering it!!!!

Besides, we had to pay Carl Pelzel's salary

You dont have to be a chemo patient to take the Zofran or Ondansetron. I'm a pregnant woman with Hyperemisis. These pills are used for alot more than you think.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
what an ass. Against my training, I hope you get AIDS from your gay lover and your plan will not cover brand name drugs. I hope you get HPV from your wife and your penis falls off, and I hope you look in the mirror and realize what a clueless jerk you are. BTW- no Med Ctr I know would substitute that class of drugs out for another. Kiss my ass. XO

First of all, that's a sick thing to say to anyone. If I ever found out who you were I'd hope someone would take your license.
Not because you are an ass... But because you have no idea what you are talking about.
HPV does not cause a mans dick to fall off... #1
#2 Your wife probably has it since 80% of women in the USA have it and DON'T even know.
#3 It can cause cancer and genital warts. Not to be confused with falling off!

You're fucking stupid. Even the general public knows that.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:16 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Just bought 20 generic Zofran pills and it cost $45.00 ($95.00 to my pharmacy manager). My question is why is it so expensive as it has been generic over a year and so any generic company can now manufacturer it? Is there a certain chemical in the drug that makes it expensive or a certain process? I guess I shouldn't complain as it would have cost me about $1,000 to fill this presciption when there wasn't a generic equivalent.

Thanks for any information
That wonderful generic your taking. Most only have 65% or the active ingredient in them. This is the amount they are required to have.... Also, many of them are manufactured a different way. Many are compressed, and pass right through the GI system. They are called "bed pan plinkers". Hmmm why don't you go buy some generic cigarettes, and generic label food while your at it... but a medicine that can heal you or keep you out of the hospital...and the world bitches.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:55 AM
Anonymous

Don't ask GSK ask the generic comany numb nuts
Old 08-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Anonymous

Here's the bottom line. Pharmacist's are crooks. Plain and simple. End of Argument. Now lets all move on.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Anonymous

Nervous Re: Why is Zofran so expensive?

My insurance will only cover 15 pills (generic Zofran = ONDANSETRON) every 23 days and I take 2-3 pills a day. An additional 15 pills (generic) out of pocket was quoted at over $50 by CVS. However, I found a site that sells the generic for $26 for 90 pills and I ordered these - your doc has to write you a prescription obviously... Just wanted to pass this on for anyone who would like to take it but can't afford it. Here is the link: http://bit.ly/bVX0uW
Old 03-16-2010, 05:12 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Here's the bottom line. Pharmacist's are crooks. Plain and simple. End of Argument. Now lets all move on.
Pay the man Shirley.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:37 PM
Anonymous

Arms Re: Why is Zofran so expensive?

I'm taking generic Zofran and it is working great. My insurance does not cover this medication so I had to call around and found a HUGE difference in price for it. I was quoted over $350 at Walgreens for the highest, $68.84 at Sams Club and $17.30 at Costco. I about passed out over the difference. The same dose, the same drug, the same amount (30 pills). I recommend anyone who has to take it to call around and price check. If there is not a Costco close to you, I would mail order it through them with that type of savings. I'm also very upset with Walgreens who I have used pretty much my whole life for marking this drug out of my reach where I have to drive two hours to get it at a reasonable price. It's worth the drive for the savings but I should not have to.

On a positive note: I can easily afford the pills now with a little effort on my part.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:11 AM
cafepharma newbie

I'm taking generic Zofran and it is working great. My insurance does not cover it. I had to call around and found a HUGE difference in price for it. I was quoted over $350 at Walgreens for the highest, $68.84 at Sams Club and $17.30 at Costco. I about passed out over the difference. The same dose, the same drug, the same amount (30 pills). I recommend anyone who has to take it to call around and price check. If there is not a Costco close to you, I would mail order it through them with that type of savings. I'm also very upset with Walgreens who I have used pretty much my whole life for marking this drug out of my reach with them who are right down the road from me where I have to drive two hours to get it at a reasonable price with a different pharmacy. It's worth the drive for the savings but I should not have to. Bottom line.... Price compare a lot of different pharmacy before you purchase Zofran out of pocket like I did.

Last edited by angelinnashville : 08-02-2010 at 12:13 AM. Reason: left out that my insurance did not cover the medication
Old 08-02-2010, 01:47 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelinnashville View Post
I'm taking generic Zofran and it is working great. My insurance does not cover it. I had to call around and found a HUGE difference in price for it. I was quoted over $350 at Walgreens for the highest, $68.84 at Sams Club and $17.30 at Costco. I about passed out over the difference. The same dose, the same drug, the same amount (30 pills). I recommend anyone who has to take it to call around and price check. If there is not a Costco close to you, I would mail order it through them with that type of savings. I'm also very upset with Walgreens who I have used pretty much my whole life for marking this drug out of my reach with them who are right down the road from me where I have to drive two hours to get it at a reasonable price with a different pharmacy. It's worth the drive for the savings but I should not have to. Bottom line.... Price compare a lot of different pharmacy before you purchase Zofran out of pocket like I did.
So I guess you work at Costco? Nice SPAM!!!
Old 08-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Once again. Bottom line pharmacist's are crooks.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:53 PM
Anonymous

Does this surprise anyone??? Why wouldnt their insurance cover it? Perhaps they need different medical coverage
Old 01-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Lloyd Doesn't Think So!

Angry Re: Why is Zofran so expensive?

Because the drug is relatively new and the generic pill makers out there are wanting to make more money off people who have no choice but to buy the pills or suffer and die. I don't like the fact that the companies are taking advantage of people much like buying a beer at a stadium. They do in fact have a group of people for whom they take prey on and as long as it is less than the brand name pill, they think it's acceptable behavior. Bad morals I call it, taking advantage of the sick,........that's just sick and they ought to be ashamed of themselves. To turn a profit is good business, but to price gouge is in bad taste and immoral.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:56 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
If you taking ondansetron, you must be a chemo patient? Isn't it worth not praying to the porcelan(sic) throne? When we launched the drug in the late 80's, chemo nurses and patients were VERY GLAD to have it. Thank the chemists for discovering it!!!!

We launched the drug in 1991 and had to wear Zofran sweatpants to some party. it was my first day on the job...it is a great drug but the sweat pants should have been a warning!
Old 01-19-2011, 07:27 PM
Anonymous

Quote:

We launched the drug in 1991 and had to wear Zofran sweatpants to some party. it was my first day on the job...it is a great drug but the sweat pants should have been a warning!
Old 01-20-2011, 08:24 PM
Anonymous

I had the priviledge of launching Zofran which truly was an innovative, great product that vastly improved the quality of life for cancer patients that really needed it. Having said that, I became emabarresed by the way that we marketed the product. We were always pushing docs to increase the dose and give it to patients that really didn't need it just to make our quotas. We started off with a high price for the injection and then went to charging a King's ransom for the pills that never really worked for cancer patients. Zofran 4mg at about $20 a dose was reasonable for post op N & V, however, hospital pharmacists tried to clamp down on that because of generic phenergan. So there is plenty of blame to go around on this discussion. Still, Zofran was a great product in its day.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:51 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
I do not work for Cosco - I work for a biotech company now. I had 26 years at GSK in sales. Yes Cosco has the best price on meds - any meds period. And GSK charged a lot for Zofran because the market would pay for it. Bottom line profits thats all.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Anonymous

Can't believe it. I pulled this thread from 4 years ago last week just for the hell of it and you Jacka$$es are actually responding to it!!!
Old 03-08-2011, 01:12 PM
NurseChuck

Argue Re: Why is Zofran so expensive?

Quote:
Hey dude- you'll be wiping mine after the next wave of layoffs. And don't forget the powder. XO
I have nausea issues, but do not have cancer. My gastroenterologist has done 2 EGD's, one colonsocpy, one H Pylori breath test, one gastric emptying study, and still no cause of the nausea has been found by my doctor. I do not have cancer, but my doctor ordered Zofran. I'm a nurse, but never knew that getting an antiemetic could be such a problem. Insurance doesn't want to pay, so I've been changed to Phenergan. With the doc had thought of that before sending me down the Zofran Path. If the Zofran is on generic now, one would think that the price would have fallen.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseChuck View Post
I have nausea issues, but do not have cancer. My gastroenterologist has done 2 EGD's, one colonsocpy, one H Pylori breath test, one gastric emptying study, and still no cause of the nausea has been found by my doctor. I do not have cancer, but my doctor ordered Zofran. I'm a nurse, but never knew that getting an antiemetic could be such a problem. Insurance doesn't want to pay, so I've been changed to Phenergan. With the doc had thought of that before sending me down the Zofran Path. If the Zofran is on generic now, one would think that the price would have fallen.
And this concerns me because...........................
Old 03-11-2011, 08:29 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseChuck View Post
We have to make a huge fucking profit to pay our criminal executives their outrageous salaries! We don't give rats ass about you or any other patient! Our execs need money!!
Old 01-12-2012, 02:08 PM
Anonymous

It is disgraceful the way glaxo has ripped off cancer patients with the cost of zofran.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
It is disgraceful the way glaxo has ripped off cancer patients with the cost of zofran.
First of all, do you know how much it actually costs to develop any drug, let alone an oncology drug? Secondly, Zofran is generic. Margins on generics are low and some products are more expensive to make. Of course, you are not interested in facts, right???
Old 01-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Wow I was actually looking for a real answer to this question and I can't believe I wasted my time coming to this site. The people on here slinging mud are acting like pathetic children. If you just want someone to argue with then this is the site to be on. Thanks for wasting my time and I won't be back here..............lame
Let me answer this for you. Zofran originally was priced at $18/8mg tablet when introduced in about 1994. This was thought to be realistic since many patients on 5FU chemo had long nausea that wasnt completely debilitating where IV Zofran at a much higher cost was used. The zofran therapy was much more effective than bendryl, droperidol and compazine. Prior to zofran many patients had to stay in hospital for days until their nausea and vomiting went away. Their relatives had to stay in hotels. So the efficacy for many was worth the per tab cost vs nausea/vomiting as well as being able to go home. God bless. From a proud Glaxo Heritage rep who was hugged many times by nurses and patients because of Zofran+

I agree their are some very insensitive people on this board and unfortunately they may work for GSK
Old 01-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Anonymous

It is generic. Cancer patients are covered. It is probably some pregnant chick complaining about her copy. Don't blame Glaxo for your perceived high price of a generic company's product.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:43 PM
Anonymous

I know the facts better than you. I was with Glaxo when Zofran was launched and I do know how much it cost to develop drugs. Get off your high horse with me. The number one cost in pricing a drug is sales and marketing salaries, gimmicks, commissions and sales meetings and trips. Has been for sometime. The drug companies do everything they can to hide this and distort the truth. There is no doubt that Zofran is a fine drug but cancer frequently bankrupts people and the attitude @ Glaxo when Zofran was laucnched was the cancer ptients will do and pay anything for this drug, who care if it bankrupts them.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
I know the facts better than you. I was with Glaxo when Zofran was launched and I do know how much it cost to develop drugs. Get off your high horse with me. The number one cost in pricing a drug is sales and marketing salaries, gimmicks, commissions and sales meetings and trips. Has been for sometime. The drug companies do everything they can to hide this and distort the truth. There is no doubt that Zofran is a fine drug but cancer frequently bankrupts people and the attitude @ Glaxo when Zofran was laucnched was the cancer ptients will do and pay anything for this drug, who care if it bankrupts them.
I doubt you know the costs. Take a look at the R&D expenses. Also, you can see a large number of oncology deals and see the associated development costs. It is not cheap. A typical product can cos over $800 million to develop. Oncology drugs and patient care are higher, and as such, the costs typically go beyond the averages. You do realize that when you are developing the cancer drugs, you are also paying for the associated patient care costs as well.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:19 PM
Anonymous

Zofran doesn't treat cancer. Go get kytil if you don't like the price of generic zofran.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:48 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
So in other words you are no longer with the company and are bitter and angry that you are not here anymore. Another troll coming back to our board to complain and moan and wanting to be back.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:06 AM
Enquiring

Question Re: Why is Zofran so expensive?

I found this forum whilst searching for why Ondansetron is so expensive and if there is a cheaper substitue or alternative.

You guys seem to know your drugs and I would apreciate if you could offer me some advice...

I am a 22 year old male diagnosed with a rare version of the Neurological condition: Dysautonomia (Dysfunction of the Autonomic Nervous System). As a result of severe damage to my Autonomic Nervous System I am extremely sensitive to any substance that acts on my ANS and I experience adverse reactions to many medications which often result in further distrupting my vitals. However Ondensetron turned out to be perfect for me as I seem to tolerate it well and its very effective in relieving my nausea symptoms.

The reason I take Ondansetron is because my Dysautonomia distrupts all my bodys automatic function including digestion and causing gastrointestinal issues. I often develop a condition known as Gastroparesis which is the inability of the stomach to empty its contents and causing food to become ranchid and spoil which is then followed by hours of severe nausea and vomiting. This is where the Ondensetron comes in very useful but because it is so expensive I have been unable to keep up with the costs and so I have been going to the ER where they administer two 8mg Ondansetron.

What other alternatives are there for someone like myself who is very sensitive to the general antiemetics ? For example with Stemetil I had adverse reactions and also developed a bad case of Dystonia. But I had no such issues with Ondensetron so is there anything else on the market that is similar in function, effective and well tolerated? Thanks.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:25 AM
Anonymous

You really should be talking with your doctor. This board is not a place for medical advice. Nor is it legal for anyone to give you medical advice on this board. I know that is not what you are hoping to hear. Good luck with your condition and call your doctor today.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:56 PM
Anonymous

It need not be. Try looking up price on goodrx.com. The prices range from $1.95 to $113 as of today for Generic Ondansetron. When you are a cash paying customer (or with a crappy insurance with big copay), the more informed you are, the more smarter is your choice. Take care.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: