» Sponsored ads

» Sponsored ads

» Sponsored ads

Pharma Sales Jobs

Go Back   Cafepharma Message Boards > General Discussion > Job-Seekers
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Job-Seekers Are you trying to break into the pharmaceutical industry? Here you will find others in the same boat. This is a great place to share your experiences and tips for networking, interviewing, and more.

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 120 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Anonymous

Default Re: Is RMSR Training Important or Needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
By the way the AIMS program is accredited. Either one of the programs will benefit medical sales applicants.
Do you know by whom?
Old 02-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
I have been a medical sales rep for the past 7 years and I could not agree more with this medical rep above. Our industry is very technical and requires a vast knowledge of the medical/healthcare industry. As reps we must communicate effectively with physicians, demonstrate our products, be aware of the selling guidelines and make sure we are in compliance, educate hospitals/doctors on the managed care portion of the product (how do they get paid and make money), provide the clinical research behind our products, and at the end build a relationship with the physicians/hospitals so they do buy our products. If people think they can get into a medical sales career with little medical education or training they are completely wrong.
Thanks for your insight. I just signed up to get Certified.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter-TX View Post
I took the RMSR Certification program and just passed it about 5 weeks ago. It was very thorough, informative and certainly has educated me to work in medical sales. I have not been offered a position yet. I have secured 4 interviews, all with top medical device companies. The training and certification were certainly a big part in me being selected for those interviews. I am glad I took the RMSR program, it will certainly will not be the only reason for me in getting hired on at a company but it was the factor in getting those initial interviews.
What was your most effective method in securing interviews. I just received my RMSR Program in the mail but I am looking at the job search process once completed.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:28 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill - RMSR Certified Rep View Post
I agree, there are some medical reps who are more pushy than others. What physicians want are reps who are well informed about the industry and can provide value to their clinic or hospital.
I agree!! Our industry really is more technical than IT and as a hiring manager I need individuals who have received some medical sales training.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:21 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
The RMSR Certification course is a designed and structured course to give you the maximum benefits for a career in medical device & equipment sales. It is a rigorous course designed to promote you to a medical device sales position where you not only pass the test but have a practical understanding of the industry and selling techniques used to promote to hospitals and physicians. This is definitely not a brain dump course. I completed the course and immediatley felt a tremendous feeling of accomplishment. But the main purpose was to gain employment in the industry which I am happy to report accepted a medical sales position just over 3 weeks ago.
Who hired you! I am also looking to get into medical sales.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:47 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
I took the RMSR Certification training because my company Abbot Medical wanted me to. It was great for acquiring industry knowledge that I did not have. I think the RMSR Training will really help with a medical sales career.
Is it Abbott still hiring?
Old 02-10-2011, 05:32 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
I have been a Sales Trainer for the medical device industry for over 17 years and I can tell you that the RMSR Certification as well as any type of vocational industry training will only qualify a candidate for a career in the industry. I have applauded the association for years and respect the RMSR Certification like thousands of others in the industry.
Thanks for your feedback.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:19 PM
Anonymous

As a physician, I see medical reps all of the time who need this type of training and certification, but do not know where to get it. The RMSR Certification program allows sales professionals of all types gain industry and medical knowledge of how to approach healthcare professionals.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Anonymous

I'm about to start my last year of a B.S. Physics program. I have an emphasis in medical physics and have been interning at the local Radiation Oncology cancer center. I love the field of medical imaging, but realize the patient interaction is not for me. Transitioning into medical imaging sales seems like a logical choice. Working in the hospital, I've gotten a feel for what Rad Techs, Doctors and patients want out of the machines. I do not know anyone in the medical sales field, though, so I'm not entirely sure of the best way to search for an entry-level job. I happened to find out about the RMSR certification and am thinking strongly about taking it as a way to add credentials. I have several months before I have to 'hit the pavement' but advice from insiders is greatly appreciated!
Old 07-26-2011, 05:33 PM
Anonymous

I have 7 years successful marketing experience in education but no outside sales nor medical background. Will the RMSR open any doors for me? What is the starting pay for entry level medical sales reps? Also, does anyone know of any shadowing programs? I would like to shadow someone already in the field. I could buy them dinner in return or offer some type of compensation.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:58 PM
Anonymous

Things like RMSR are like weight loss products / gimmicks.

There are so man people "Desperately trying to break in (lose weight)" it's easy to prey on the desperate.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Anonymous

From what I have been told from industry insiders is that an RMSR is an excellent program created by medical device manufacturers looking to hire trained reps. It is standard similar to other types of certification (series 7, RN, CPA, LPN, MD,etc). It is product knowledge driven but is preferred and not required.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:22 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
From what I have been told from industry insiders is that an RMSR is an excellent program created by medical device manufacturers looking to hire trained reps. It is standard similar to other types of certification (series 7, RN, CPA, LPN, MD,etc). It is product knowledge driven but is preferred and not required.
It is nothing close to that! It is a book of a bunch of crap. Takes all of one/two hours to complete and is worthless. It teaches you nothing! You are comparing it to an RN? Are you kidding me?

I believe in education however this is a joke. If you are interested in real training find yourself a good B2B job or at least an advanced medical sales training program. Just so you know, advanced is not a book and a test.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Anonymous

I took the program and it took me over 70 hours to complete. There is no way someone could do it in 2 hours. That is completely not true and the program is certainly well respected among medical company insiders.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Anonymous

There are so many job openings in medical sales that many of my freinds who are in it recommend it as an excellent career choice. They also said good things about the RMSR Certification as well as the AIMS program.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:54 PM
Anonymous

Lol Re: Is RMSR Training Important or Needed?

I truly enjoyed the RMSR Certification. You can get more information at www.medicalsalescareer.com
Old 12-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Anonymous

Banghead Re: Is RMSR Training Important or Needed?

Quote:
I truly enjoyed the RMSR Certification. You can get more information at www.medicalsalescareer.com
Why not just call a med device company HR department and ask if they value AIMS or RMSR certification?
Old 12-20-2011, 07:48 AM
Anonymous

Thanks for the advice and I did call 8 HR depts at some of the top medical device companies and unfortunately only got to talk to 3 of them. The all said that medical sales industry training is certainly welcomed and preferred on resumes. They did not say which program was better but that either one should be helpful. One HR person said that you might be able to subsititute some medical terminology courses or a Health Science degree. One said that they did do key word searches on the resume looking for such training such as AIMS or RMSR.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:11 PM
seller5432

Party Re: Is RMSR Training Important or Needed?

Quote:
Thanks for the advice and I did call 8 HR depts at some of the top medical device companies and unfortunately only got to talk to 3 of them. The all said that medical sales industry training is certainly welcomed and preferred on resumes. They did not say which program was better but that either one should be helpful. One HR person said that you might be able to subsititute some medical terminology courses or a Health Science degree. One said that they did do key word searches on the resume looking for such training such as AIMS or RMSR.
True. I was experiencing the same thing. I was trying to break into the industry for about 9 months before I found out abou the RMSR Certification. I was a little skeptical at first so I did the research, called them up, etc. but I eventually purchased it. It took about 2 - 3 days for me to get the textbook and about 6 weeks to get through it. Passed the exam and not even a month after I was doing interviews. I do work for a smaller firm than I anticipated, but the pay is pretty good since I consistently exceed my goals. The niche that NAMSR has is a pretty good one, and putting it on my resume hasnt hurt me at all. I would consider it money well spent. Dont expect it to guarantee you a job, because you still gotta interview and impress employers, but at least it made them look at me to realize I can actually sell.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by seller5432 View Post
True. I was experiencing the same thing. I was trying to break into the industry for about 9 months before I found out abou the RMSR Certification. I was a little skeptical at first so I did the research, called them up, etc. but I eventually purchased it. It took about 2 - 3 days for me to get the textbook and about 6 weeks to get through it. Passed the exam and not even a month after I was doing interviews. I do work for a smaller firm than I anticipated, but the pay is pretty good since I consistently exceed my goals. The niche that NAMSR has is a pretty good one, and putting it on my resume hasnt hurt me at all. I would consider it money well spent. Dont expect it to guarantee you a job, because you still gotta interview and impress employers, but at least it made them look at me to realize I can actually sell.

six weeks????? Are you kidding me! It took me Saturday and one hour on Sunday!
Old 02-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Anonymous

I have RMSR and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Waste of money and time. I took it off my resume after a sales manager was giving me hard time about it during my interview. Most important thing employers look for is a successful sales track record. Can you sell? Do you present well. Do you fit the image?
Old 02-23-2012, 11:01 AM
Anonymous

It is extremely comprehensive training. There is no way that a company or a sales manager would give anyone a hard time about getting educated in medical devices. Any training is good. I have to be very skeptical about the above blog, why would they be negative about vocational knowledge. Even if it was unaccredited it would have to only help no matter how in-depth it was.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:47 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
I have RMSR and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Waste of money and time. I took it off my resume after a sales manager was giving me hard time about it during my interview. Most important thing employers look for is a successful sales track record. Can you sell? Do you present well. Do you fit the image?
I'm happy I read this thread before investing in a bag of worthless magic beans. I spoke with a resume writer who said the same thing. She reinforced the point that the job is about sales and everything you need to know about the company and the products they will teach you during training.
I know everyone is looking for a way to get into pharma sales, but investing in this program is counterproductive.
I took the advice of others who recommended a great resume writer who had experience working with b2b candidates and hired her. She gave me real advice for my resume and ways to get in front of a hiring manager. She even had recruiters she refered me to.
I couldn't agree more with the above poster. Take that RMSR off your resume before antoher hiring manager laughs you out of his office.
I'm just saying...
Old 03-12-2012, 03:27 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
It is extremely comprehensive training. There is no way that a company or a sales manager would give anyone a hard time about getting educated in medical devices. Any training is good. I have to be very skeptical about the above blog, why would they be negative about vocational knowledge. Even if it was unaccredited it would have to only help no matter how in-depth it was.
I disagree. Makes people look like they were unsuccessful at getting in so they went as far as paying some scheme. If you have it, keep i off resume.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:59 AM
Anonymous

Lol Re: Is RMSR Training Important or Needed?

I think the argument on this one is pretty simple. I personally took the RMSR for training purposes. Not really sure why you wouldnt want some form of training for the field you want to go into....besides that, a recruiter recommended it for me. It wasnt impossibly hard but it helped. For starters I had no clue there were so many different areas in med sales. At the end of the day, I could articulate my way through the interviews and I didnt need to "sell myself," just be myself.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Anonymous

The RMSR certificate is extreamly helpfull, it tought me the industry knowledge which i believe you should know before entering a job. Like a blog above said it is vocational trainning, and to me trainning never hurts, it just validates my experience and knowledge. As well the RMSR is accreditted nationally, i found this by calling the department of labor and education to make sure i was spending my money the right way. it is not for everyone, but if you can do it i recomend it it will give you a legs up in the industry, major companies do look for it.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:00 AM
RMSRBooks

Arms Re: Is RMSR Training Important or Needed?

Hello to everyone

I am a trainner for some Major Medical device companies, i have some used RMSR books that i am selling for $149. email me at rmsrusedbooks@gmail.com, this way you buy the book, and then pay only for the test it will save you some MONEY!!!
Old 04-05-2012, 02:48 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMSRBooks View Post
Hello to everyone

I am a trainner for some Major Medical device companies, i have some used RMSR books that i am selling for $149. email me at rmsrusedbooks@gmail.com, this way you buy the book, and then pay only for the test it will save you some MONEY!!!
What is the cost to just take the test?
Old 08-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Anonymous

I would recommend the RMSR as it was the reason I was interviewed for a medical sales job with Intuitiv. From what I have learned is that if you lack industry knowledge or medical education this is the best program out there for entry level medical sales.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:51 PM
new user

Quote:
I would recommend the RMSR as it was the reason I was interviewed for a medical sales job with Intuitiv. From what I have learned is that if you lack industry knowledge or medical education this is the best program out there for entry level medical sales.
Hi,
I am curious as to what your background is. I am 2 semesters away from completing my Bachelors of Science/Nursing (BSN), I have 2 years of clinical experience and prior to returning to college, I had over 15 years of successful sales(not in medical field).
I have heard good and bad reviews about the RMSR, but one of the concerns that I have is that I have had almost 4 years of Health Science Classes and two semesters of Pharm in addition to those; and I have heard that the material is very basic---did you find that to be true?
Thanks in advance for taking time to respond--I do appreciate it!
Old 08-29-2012, 05:28 PM
Anonymous

Bard Medical is doing a career fair to hire for medical sales. They do like RMSR certified applicants so if you have it they are looking for you. Go to their website for more information.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:39 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Bard Medical is doing a career fair to hire for medical sales. They do like RMSR certified applicants so if you have it they are looking for you. Go to their website for more information.
Bullshit!!! In no way is a medical company looking for a one day test on bs info.

Get some real training you troll!!!
Old 09-13-2012, 12:32 PM
Anonymous

The RMSR Programs is an excellent and very comprehensive program which is meant for entry level medical sales reps only. It certainly takes more than one day. The negative people here certainly need to get their facts right.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Has anyone ever heard of a CSP or a Certified Sales Professional Certificate? Go to www.certifiedsalespro.com
Nice to see who is posting all these negative comments. I guess the people at CSP are posting comments to boost their certification. The problem is that it is not utilized by the medical industry. The RMSR is only for individuals looking to enter a career in Medical Device & Equipment sales. The CSP is for all industries and does not represent the medical field. I hope that the people from the CSP keep of this blog. As a recently certified RMSR rep I take this as offensive and insulting.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Anonymous

The negative posts on this blog all have come from a competitor. Unfortunately, competitors and negative online marketers go on to this blog and create the illusion that they have worked or taken the RMSR and had a negative experience. This is just not the truth.

Education is always a positive but certainly does not guarantee a job. It will only qualify you for a career in medical sales which does lead to interviews. Take any negatives with a grain of salt as I they more than likely came from a competitor.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Thanks for your insight. I just signed up to get Certified.
I would like to buy your RMSR manual when you are done. Please email me at bradyexber@yahoo.com

Thanks.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:46 PM
Anonymous

I WOULDN'T HIRE A NEGATIVE ARROGANT GUY LIKE THIS EITHER!! SALES PEOPLE ARE POSITIVE AND LIKABLE AND THIS PERSON CLEARLY DOESN'T POSSESS ANY OF THESE ATTRIBUTES!

Quote:
I doubt that this is going to help your decision, but...

I am not in medical sales. I have 8 years selling research lab instrumentation which totally runs circles around the generic B2B that many med companies hire from. I bought the NAMSR training, which stated the average person will prepare 55 to 70 hours with their material. I read through the book in less than 10 hours. All of the sales, business accumen and personal discipline topics were no-brainer basics that any good salesperson should know in his/her sleep. I already knew over 90% of the medical science stuff.

The only things I learned were various regulatory topics and a few new medical terms. I aced all the quizzes and took the test in about 40 minutes with less than 10 hours of preparation and got a 97%. One of their multiple choice questions is faulty and there is no correct answer that you can choose (should be all of above instead of none of the above) -a sloppy edit job.

Here's the real bummer: I can't seem to land any medical sales job.
Go figure.

Not for lack of trying, but it seems that many recruiters just promote the same old paradigm and wouldn't recognize top notch if it bit them in the gluteus.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:49 AM
Anonymous

Intuitive Surgical is hiring trained reps from AMS, RMSR or other medical sales training programs. Go to www.intuitivesurgical.com and apply online.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:03 AM
Anonymous

I have read some pretty bitter people on this blog who really must get a life. Why are they so mad. No wonder they could not get hired even with their RMSR. I got certified and found a position in 6 weeks. It wasn't my first choice which was in orthorpedic but I do now sell diagnostic testing equipment and the money is good. The RMSR is only vocational training and I learned a lot from it which is all I expected. I did not expect it to the be same as a PhD. It did open up doors and create some interviews that I would not have gotten without it.

Some of this people need to look in the mirror and figure out what is really wrong.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Anonymous

Guys. GUYS. Settle down. Nobody "needs" this "training". There is so much misinformation being floated on this thread it is truly astonishing. This company is scamming you into believing that this is an industry standard (it isn't) and that the big thing that will differentiate you between other candidates is product/technical expertise (wrong again). They can do this based on the simple fact that there is a huge market out there of people who know nothing about this industry except that it pays well and that they want to earn more money. Most of these "reviews" are painfully transparent and fake and are probably generated by the company itself or people who have a vested financial interest in it. Let me save you $300 and tell you the truth-

There are some general rules in regards to the background that you're going to need. You need a 4 year college degree. Period. That is a universal requirement for 99.8% of these jobs. You need sales experience. Your sales experience needs to be B2B. Meaning, you need to sell a tangible product, not a service. Your retail sales experience is worthless. Your cell phone sales experience is worthless. Your mortgage/real estate sales experience is worthless. Go sell copiers or equipment to businesses. That's the real deal. You're not going to earn shit while you're doing it but the experience is valuable. Also, do well-hit your quota. Win awards. Save every document that shows that you are over plan for the month, quarter, year, whatever. Start networking with people. LinkedIn is your new BFF. Find medical device recruiters, company recruiters, medical device reps, managers in medical device companies. Reach out to them. Most won't give you the time of day but some will. Ask for their advice. Ask them about their industry. See if you can buy somebody coffee or lunch and learn about their job. Have them give you feedback on your resume. Once you have a few years of successful sales experience and a professional network, find the jobs that you're qualified for. Join medreps.com or something like that. Don't waste your time trying to apply for jobs that require 3-5 years of previous device experience. You'll piss people off for wasting their time. There are no shortage of smaller companies that will hire qualified B2B reps. Apply for associate level positions with large companies. Yes, these jobs suck but, again, you're qualified for them at this point and it gets your foot in the door. Most importantly, understand what your "end game" is. If you've researched the industry enough, you'll understand that a DME sales position isn't going to lead to a future job selling pacemakers. A diagnostic sales job isn't going to prepare you for the OR environment. Be picky, not desperate. Due diligence pays off in dividends. Once you're "in" do a great job, continue to document and save all evidence of your success. Learn from the more tenured people. Build a great reputation with your customers-later in your career your relationships and reputation with docs and hospitals is worth its weight in gold.

THAT is how to do this. If it seems too hard, find a new career. This shit isn't rocket science......
Old 01-02-2013, 08:54 AM
Anonymous

I disagree with the about comments. Over 1300 medical companies now look for entry level medical sales training from applicants. It could be the RMSR, MSC or HIDA. They are all kind of the same but vocational training for a career this technical is very important and a growing trend amoung companies. Seems logical to interview applicants with the industry knowledge already. These programs are not MBA programs by any means but rather vocational training. I recommend any of them if you are looking to enter a career in medical sales.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:19 AM
Anonymous

Banghead Re: Is RMSR Training Important or Needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintCora View Post
I certainly agree. It was incredible how at some medical conventions I attended, many of the reps from some companies all look alike, ie., young, pretty, blonde, female. And not surprising, the turnover at these companies can be significant when it turns out that some of these ladies can't sell.
Wow. Sounds like someone who got dumped by a young, pretty, blonde, female and got burned by the goods she was selling. PIG> ya you.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:01 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
I disagree with the about comments. Over 1300 medical companies now look for entry level medical sales training from applicants. It could be the RMSR, MSC or HIDA. They are all kind of the same but vocational training for a career this technical is very important and a growing trend amoung companies. Seems logical to interview applicants with the industry knowledge already. These programs are not MBA programs by any means but rather vocational training. I recommend any of them if you are looking to enter a career in medical sales.
Please list the companies that absolutely require this training.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:33 PM
Anonymous

I interviewed with Quest Diagnostics recently they were impressed with my training from the NAMSR.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:39 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintCora View Post
I certainly agree. It was incredible how at some medical conventions I attended, many of the reps from some companies all look alike, ie., young, pretty, blonde, female. And not surprising, the turnover at these companies can be significant when it turns out that some of these ladies can't sell.
You are incorrect - They can sell. They just cannot sell medical products.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:45 PM
Anonymous

All you need to work in this business is some medical knowledge or education with some sales experience. The companies do not care where the training comes from.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:56 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
All you need to work in this business is some medical knowledge or education with some sales experience. The companies do not care where the training comes from.
Just be attractive and confident; bonus points if you have a brain. This is true of all customer-facing jobs.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:34 PM
Slyone

These courses/designations would only really be applicable to someone outside the industry and trying to get their "foot in the door". Some of the online search sites are pushing these programs, but if you have been in the industry for a while, and have good sales results/performance, they are completely useless.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:43 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
I am trying to get into Medical Sales and heard that some people take this course or courses similar to this ahead of time to help add extra experience on ones resume. Should I pay for this and take to help with my job search since new to Medical Sales?

I also heard that this training is often provided after being hired as well?

Any help is much appreciated~
This is my legitimate experience with the RMSR. BEWARE! I had 1 successful year of B2B Sales experience. Multiple recruiters said that if I had my RMSR they would be able to get me interviews. I quit my job and studied for 2 weeks, passed the exam with a 92%- and it literally has done NOTHING for me. Post test, its as if every recruiter I was talking to disappeared. Not one interview or contact came as a result of this program. It is a waste of time if you are in my similar position. TO get into medical sales you need either A.) a contact to get you an interview B.)AT LEAST 2-3 years of SUCCESSFUL B2B sales experience(presidents club, etc.).

Don't make my same mistake. RMSR will not help you! They promised the world to me and even in the NAMSR employment center you think they give you a legitimate head start. NOT TRUE. I contacted every single recruiter they recommended (by phone and email). 50% of those contacts are out dated and the emails bounced back, 10% actually had phone numbers and only 2 of those went through. They have a listing of MULTIPLE companies on their site- no direct contact only urls which point you to the basic company webpage- you have to fill out applications over and over again and this gets you NO WHERE. Waste of time TRUST. However, I will say in reading the book I did gain decent basic understanding of the medical sales realm.

The book however has MULTIPLE ERRORS- the editor either slacked or didn't exist. The test used MANY questions from the practice quizzes, and even the test had typos.

However, THE NAMSR RMSR program is a joke in terms of getting you interviews. Don't fall for it. NO ONE will talk to you UNLESS you have at least 2-3 Years experience. Medical sales isn't the easiest to break into with minimal experience and the RMSR does nothing for you. Don't waste your time or money- just crunch out your time at an ADP "Type" company and do well! Good luck and I hope this saves you time.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:15 AM
Anonymous

I just finished the RMSR program and I thought it was a very thorough and informative program. I have had 2 friends who work in the industry recommend the program and I doubted they would do that unless it was certainly an industry standard.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: