The Myth of the SEC

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Night Train Lane, Aug 17, 2012 at 9:21 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. #1 Night Train Lane, Aug 17, 2012 at 9:21 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2012 at 9:24 PM
    Came across a great article....well....an article that reflects my views...which I've shared here for 10 years now.

Why SEC Isn't As Great In Football As You Think
    http://www.thepostgame.com/commentary/201208/better-without-em-northern-manifesto-southern-secession-chuck-thompson-sec-bcs

Some highlights.

To SEC apologists who claim that the SEC's overall winning records in bowl games is evidence of success in "games that matter" against "quality opponents," I offer the counter-argument that because bowl game pairings are more easily manipulated than regular-season games, and because SEC teams frequently play in bowls near home stadiums, they often result in more favorable match-ups for SEC teams.

n 2012, for instance, the SEC was able to even its BCS bowl record against the Big Ten at 19-19 when the Florida Gators beat Ohio State in the none-too-partisan Gator Bowl. The game was played in Jacksonville. No bowl games are played in Ohio.
    So, if the SEC plays other conferences about even, why do SEC teams keep winning national championships?
    That answer, of course, is the BCS and its corporate underwriters, who have created a reliable business model for determining national champions that is in all respects a self-fulfilling prophecy designed to protect its primary investment.
    The BCS business plan works like this: preseason rankings typically include two, three, or four SEC teams among the nation's top ten, more than from any other conference. From the outset, this bias for SEC teams builds into the system a near insurmountable advantage.
    Start the season with two of the top four teams being from the SEC, as was the case in 2010 with Alabama and Florida, and in 2011 with Alabama and LSU, and the conference is virtually guaranteed to be represented in the title game -- and this is an important point -- even if neither of those two schools end up winning the conference.
    To be the best, so goes to the old sports adage, you've got to beat the best. But since only SEC teams are consistently declared the best, only SEC teams get the chance to prove themselves against "the best."
    It's a chicken-or-the-egg situation. Does the SEC get favorable rankings because it's so good? Or is the SEC so good because it gets favorable rankings? I argue for the latter.

My argument is simply that if you look at results on the field -- not guesswork from writers, network suits, and BCS computers -- teams from the major conferences, and some schools from smaller conferences, are actually a lot more evenly matched than most fans believe.

Despite being approximately equal to other conferences in most quantifiable categories, the SEC and other southern schools are unfairly presented with championship opportunities and favors on what is far from a level playing field.

http://www.thepostgame.com/commentary/201208/better-without-em-northern-manifesto-southern-secession-chuck-thompson-sec-bcs

2. Pale Horse

Pale Horse Guest

Why SEC Isn't As Great In Football As You Think

A bitter yankee wrote that.

http://chuckthompson.com/

3. BAMABOY

BAMABOY Well-Known Member

SEC Vs. BIG 10. This is always a fun debate. I actually agree with some of the issues that this article presents. I have to agree that the bowls and bowl system need a total overhaul. I really wish we had an 8 team playoff with playoff games hosted by higher ranked teams at their home field. Maybe one day we will get to see that. It's tough for Southern teams to play and practice in triple digit heat. SEC players have good careers in the NFL playing in cold environments. I think home field advantage will prove to be a bigger factor once the bowl system is changed than weather.

I think what held the BIG 10 back from playing in the National Championship for so many years was not about pre-season rankings but the BIG 10 for many years did not have a true Conference Championship Game. This past year we witnessed an awesome BIG 10 Conference Championship Game in Indianapolis with Michigan State Vs. Wisconsin. The extra conference championship game that the SEC, ACC, Pac-12, Big East and the BIG 10 have help propel a team at the end of the season into a National Championship birth.

The BIG 12 did not have an extra Conference Championship Game this past year because they do not have 12 teams. Oklahoma plays Oklahoma State every year at the end of the regular season just like Ohio State plays Michigan and Alabama plays Auburn. Every major conference needs an extra Conference Championship Game.

Strength of Conference is another story. I agree you cannot point to bowl games as the only measurement of conference dominance. You also can't pick an arbitrary date like the beginning of the BCS. The BCS has only been around for what 15 years? If we look at Ohio State Vs. SEC, Ohio State is still 0-9 Vs. SEC Teams. The win in the Sugar Bowl against Arkansas was vacated. I agree it was total BS it was vacated but it was vacated..

I personally think that conference dominance is going to constantly change as it has in the past. I know BIG 10 fans think SEC Chants are annoying as I would if I was not an SEC fan. I am really interested to see how Urban Myer will change Ohio State. I think he is going to transform OSU into more of an SEC type of team. I think the Buckeyes are going to have faster defensive players. The SEC has had a nice long reign but all things must pass at some point. It's been a good run so far but until some team from another conference claims the National Championship the SEC is still #1.

4. Yes the SEC has owned Ohio State over the past 15 years. Over those same 15 years, the rest of the Big 10 has owned the SEC. Reference the numbers cited in the article.

With all that said, I will concede the superiority of the SEC from one...and really the only true measuring stick. The SEC has the most players in the NFL.

But ruffling "y'allllllls" feathers is great entertainment for me.

5. BAMABOY

BAMABOY Well-Known Member

Hey Night Train! I am looking forward to you joining in our our NCAA Football Pick Em this year! Thanks for your upcoming participation. We do this for bragging rights only and to talk smack about other teams. I assume you are an Ohio State fan right?

SEC fans are definitely a sensitive bunch. We don't have as many professional teams so College Football is our sport. Admittedly I am an SEC homer but have a lot of respect for other teams and other conferences. College Football needs major teams like Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, Nebraska, Florida and I almost want to gag saying this but Southern California to be good. (I can't stand Lane Kiffin but he is a good coach.) We also need newer upstart programs like Boise State and Oregon to do well to bring new fans in other parts of the country to the sport.

My favorite Big 10 team is Wisconsin. I think it is really amazing that 80% of that team are Wisconsin boys. Unfortunately Alabama just turned down a home at home series with Wisconsin. Coach Saban really likes to schedule an early season kick off game with a major out of conference team like Michigan this year. I think next year BAMA will kick off the season with West Virginia. The early season kick off games are for recruiting. Dallas is a major recruiting area and Saban only scheduled kick off games in major recruiting areas.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You guys haven't figured out that night train is hairyfiddler?

7. Pale Horse

Pale Horse Guest

No way. That's bull.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

6 consecutive national titles by the SEC......... Myth you say? Hardly.

9. Fucktard

Fucktard Well-Known Member

The Gators beating OSU in the Jan 2 2012 Gator Bowl was a great end to a kick ass holiday season for me. 4 rows up from the Gator bench and a beautiful day, cold beer, aaaahhhh.....

Oh, back to business. The SEC kicks ass and you know it, Hairy.

10. Pale Horse

Pale Horse Guest

That's like watching the same tv show over and over again.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Go Big Blue........ Michican should have beaten Bama. Damn refs were horrible.

12. Fucktard

Fucktard Well-Known Member

Ha ha ha ha ha! Thanks for the laugh today. I hardly think you can attribute a 41-14 ass whooping to the refs.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

To the OP....... I real SEC myth yesterday. LMAO

The Crimson Tide didn't just beat the Wolverines 41-14; they toyed with them. Embarrassed them. Treated them like an honorary cupcake. You didn't know whether it was Michigan or DeVry Institute. (quote) Gene Wojciechowski - ESPN

14. libluvsbukkake

libluvsbukkake Well-Known Member

Nick still loves kicking Michigan's ass.