Discussion in 'DePuy Ortho' started by Anonymous, Apr 7, 2014 at 11:29 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Can someone explain to me how Depuy/ J&J get away with classifying sales reps as 1099? Reps aren't even close to being independent contractors. As price erosion continues and healthcare insurance increases, isn't it time for Depuy to start paying benefits for their sales reps? Isn't it strange a healthcare giant like J&J doesn't provide health insurance to their large sales force?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Are there any more direct reps? I thought they finally got them all under distributorships

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

you must be new! life for a successful orthopedic rep was always a 1099 or self employed. The tax benefits was much better and if you had a spouse who worked and had benefits you were golden. If you had to pay insurance on your own, it was an expense along with mileage, clothing. home office etc

Agents and distrib preferred 1099 as it was cheaper to run businesses ie no benefits car allowances 401k etc you simply pay a flat commission and it was up to 1099 to pay tax etc

This direct rep is only a few years new and it is a trend by big companies etc especially when they take out distributors or make changes direct is expense to run but big companies feel they now have control

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes but how do they get away with it? Reps aren't even close to being independent contractors. I'm surprised more people don't suit.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you are 1099 then pick up side lines and quit complaining. I am 1099 and will continue to do this. They can't say anything as long as they continue to structure me this way. I personally enjoy it as I make a good bit on my other lines.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Very true. What are some good lines to carry besides the pain cream?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I chose not to carry those as every sleeze ball rep in my territory is pushing that and I didn't want to get into that(yes I know money you can make). Go through your product line and look for gaps. If there is a gap fill it. If there is something you are using during cases that isn't DePuy see if you can pick it up. There is a lot out there if you are willing to look.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The pain cream bubble will bust in 12-18 mos, I would bet.