Adequan Canine marketing/pricing scam?

Discussion in 'Novartis Animal Health' started by Anonymous, Jul 31, 2012 at 7:32 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Luitpold Pharma makes Adequan - it appears to be marketed separately by Novartis for dogs and Luitpold for horses. You can only order 5 ml bottles for dogs but a 50 ml bottle for horses. The price per ml is 33% higher for dogs. What is this all about? Price fixing? Unfair and deceptive marketing? What? The prescriptions written by small animal vets actually specify 5 ml bottle - 2 bottles. They claim they can not prescribe "equine" version and therefore cannot write script for 50 ml bottle. Something smells here. Can someone enlighten me?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Its a different dosing schedule and amount.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So what? Same drug -

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Good luck trying the horse version on a dog. Off label and a 50ml bottle will last you about 6 months!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There is no issue with using on dogs. I have correct dosage from my vet. I have two large dogs that need it once a month at 2.5 ml per dose. I also use it for my horse. It does not last that long (especially when dosing for horse). It is not off label - because they sell the 5 ml bottles for dogs - same drug - the only difference is Novartis puts the word "canine" on the box. There is no such thing as Adequan "canine"