Question please

Discussion in 'GlaxoSmithKline' started by Anonymous, Jun 28, 2015 at 9:00 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi--will try to be concise-please answer seriously--that is a challenge here, but I am serious and very curious.
    Old-timer here--long gone---so old when I started NO signatures for samples and no computers--target list was the Yellow Pages from a phone booth--I promise--old man here

With that- I hear "they started" with detectives, then moved to managers following cars etc. you know what mean---I ADMIT I started working 10 hours a day! I was an idiot back then--young and did not know "the system" got it down and learned to do the day in 3 hours and make the same $ --nuff said--happy to report I worked in pharma (yes GSK was one) and averaged 3 hours a day for 20 yrs and retired. question---------is it true this "babysitting/tracking" had advanced to the point of GPS in phones or computers or both??? Come on --be nice and just tell me--I am old and curious about my former career. if what I hear is true that really means doc parking lots are full of reps on Friday at say 4:30?????? hard to imagine except for me my 1st couple of yrs. I did it. not for long. how could you say "well, I just cant get any docs that need samples on any Friday after 3 pm boss!" heck I am admitting what I did, but I have to know. are you in your car at 8 am every day and not home till after 5???? there weren't enough docs to see way back then and less now! I live in a city with a huge major teaching hospital and they will not only never see reps they take no samples! this is a city of 1.5 million and I bet GSK has 2 reps in the city vs the 10 we had years ago--I am talking 2001.
    thanks a bunch. just an old curious guy

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The iPad has a GPS chip in it. It is anyone's guess as to how that is used because all the software has a "proprietary" code base.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ok, I'll bite. First of all you old bastard, you need to get a hobby!! Reminiscing about days gone bye is one thing, but to be so "Curious" as to come on a web forum is kinda sad. Here's the deal, GSK and every pharma company has the ability and the right to track their sales force via GPS. However, according to my brother who is a labor attorney, GSK cannot mandate what reps do with their time. You see, GSK was sued in a class action case about ten years ago. GSK took it all the way to the Supreme Court and won! That victory meant that GSK did not have to pay sales reps overtime compensation. Great for GSK, right? Well, kinda of. It also meant that the "exempt status" given to sales reps meant that they have "no official hours". That they work as much or as little in order to get their job done. It also clearly referenced that "everything" sales reps do that is work related is considered work. So, expense reports, territory planning, entering calls, etc is recognized as work (according to the law). Those things do not have to take place in the parking lot of a doctors office. They can and are done at the reps "home office". To corroborate this, think about what reps can expense...internet, phone, fax, and even refrigerators for sample storage, all of which are in a reps home.

These days most reps struggle to make 8 calls per day. Back when you're a rep, offices had much better access. Reps can wait two hours just to see one doc. I would say that the majority of reps put in an honest 40 hour work week. That being said, many of the "working mommies" do take advantage of this system and maybe put in 30 hours per week. So their you go old timer. Now you can go back to watching Lawrence Welk reruns and soak your crusty feet in a warm tub of epsom salts.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Answer: Eat plenty of Metamucil so you don't blow out your balloon knot.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Gramps, please. As everyone you've ever loved decays, becomes ossified in filth or burns in the sun, distract yourself with some prayer. And have your meds adjusted.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

#1 is full of #2

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Another old gray hair here replying to #1............speaking of detectives and GPS, I was hired in 1967 and went through all the mergers to GSK. The worst of the worst were female reps on our teams who actually would follow fellow teammates to see if they were working ! Some were actually caught and later fired. That's teamwork, ha , and to me what helped destroy the "sales" job.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I see my little buddy! You found the fountain of youth and will never age past 32 years. Nicely done oh genius. In your Escape yet! Drove by, stopped and screamed, "The fountain of youth!" Get that resume polished up son.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There are no Answers; only choices.
    Choose Fibre-Blo 9000.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sorry to hear about your medical condition. I suggest seeing a GE. (it is common in the elderly like you, but it is best to consult a GE) Good luck my friend!