Why do the best get laid off????

Discussion in 'GlaxoSmithKline' started by Anonymous, Jan 14, 2011 at 12:48 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I remember Sue R, Tom R, et. al. and are are on a national site job searching.
    I left the industry years ago, but it seems like most of my old region are job hunting.
    Why is GSK doing this to the top performers?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Some of the best people I know at GSK have been laid off. Why? In many cases they are
    a) very employable elsewhere
    b) perceptive enough to realize when it is time to jump ship
    c) courageous enough to quietly tell management they want to take a package when decisions are being made

In other cases it is all about power politics. If a dimwitted GSK manager has a chance to get lay off some direct reports, the manager is first going to get rid of anyone who threatens HIS job (likely to be the high performers).

And don't make the mistake of thinking that layoffs are performance or merit based as HR would like you to believe. Except for a small number low performers, the selection process is all smoke and mirrors to cover for management picking who they do and don't like.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You got it! Mgt. hated TR and SR in Akron. Or course, I saw them making out at 6 am by the vending machines. How gross is that??????????????? On both ends!! it was poopie breath back and forth
    Neither are employable. I hope it was worth it! 2 cellie bellies slappin away.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The best did not get laid off, I'm still here

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OP didn't mean giving the boss head.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Been thru it myself...guarantee 80% is paybacks or elminating threats to managers' jobs...not much to do with what's best for company.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Laid, or laid off???

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

And where does it lead? Just look at the closure of R&D at RTP

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Why do you drag these dinosaur threads back to life. Are you for real?

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Why do those who get laid off always think that they are the best?

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The last post is on to something. However, I am still with the organization, and I find it interesting that some of the worst and least tenured reps get a lot of accolades. Whatever happened to paying ones dues? It's a major issue with our company. There is a lot to be said for longevity. For experience (professional and life). When you have a history of promoting the rep dejure, you get the GSK management team we have in place currently. Take a look at our current CEO. He was touted as the youngest CEO in GSK history. As if that was something to brag about. I think most would agree that AW could have used a bit more time in the executive trenches before being promoted to the helm. Look at what has happened under his watch. Anyway, I digress. Bottom line, when you promote people without looking at breadth of experience, you are making a big mistake.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Who really knows what they think after they are gone? It is more of an issue of survivor guilt, such as one feels after the entire cancer team is laid off after developing Tykerb

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Reps are over respected nowadays anyway. All we are are script reading donut delivering smiling at rotund secteries droids.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am sure your friends were good at what they do, and there are a lot of smart people in the pharmaceutical industry, but the best sales professionals are working for companies you never heard of.

There never was such a thing as "a talented pharmaceutical executive" or "pharmaceutical sales rep". Never was, and never will.

My guess is that well over 80-90 percent of the people selling out there could not hack it in a stressful outside selling opportunity. What we have are a bunch of well polished, well spoken group of people that have little "heart", average business acumen, and not very hard working. That is why they stay in a cushy industry like pharmaceuticals. Over and over, I see too many hacks out in the field, and I just shake my head. Not only are these people lacking in common sense business practices, but they are lazy and complain a lot.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It is very obvious and so very humorous to spot a post from someone who has been fired from GSK. Apparently lacking in sales skills and could not hack it in the pharmaceutical world. Please don't make it so very plain for the world the see in your next post.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It is very obvious and so very humerus to spot a post from someone who has never added value but has surfed from one corp parasitic job to the next. Riding the wave from one empty suit suit job to the next; based not on merit but priveledge and relationship and connections ....

Stuff that one up your a$$ beatch.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Why do the best get laid off? Because they are paid the most.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

#16 obviously can't express himself without using ghetto language........obviously not in the professional ranks.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It is all about who likes you and who doesn't. You are only as good as your boss wants you to be. Brown nosing and ass kissing go a long way determining who is good and who isn't.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Obviously...totally factually correct but stated so unprofessionally.