Recent Grad

Discussion in 'GlaxoSmithKline' started by Anonymous, Jun 2, 2015 at 4:21 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi All,
    I'm a recent graduate with a Bachelor's of Neuroscience and I'm looking to become a pharm rep. I know most companies require sales experience but some will hire and train new grads. I don't know anyone in the industry yet and would really appreciate if anyone could tell me who I should be contacting or reaching out to. If anyone knows how I can get my foot in the door I would be so grateful.
    Thanks so much,
    Kimberly M.
    Atlanta, GA

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Probably should be contacting medical schools to get an MD, if you want to utilize your skills.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Look at a company called Quintiles. I worked for GSK for 31 years and would not want my child working there.

Good luck

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The suggestion to get a MD is a really good one. Look for a program where you can do research for a PhD in addition to the MD. Then, do your residency and at least one post-doc stint, then please come here and replace moncef. Then we may have hope to survive; we'll be waiting.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I had 30 years at GSK - this was a GREAT job for my first 20 years. Last 10 years not something you would want to do because you have spent a lot on your education.

Use your knowledge to reach your personal goals. This job is not for someone who wants to use their brain. Do something medical just not sales here or any other pharma company.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

She seems very nice and if not a troll, very naïve. ru kidding???!!!! GSK!!! you lady, look, listen and learn before making a bad decision. Network and learn. I still call troll since you are asking mostly disgruntled employees, but your questions are nicely worded etc.
    Do yourself a favor. I hate to spend MY time telling you this but here it is: I spend 16 yrs with this company under the impression "big companies are better" medical insurance, better products, better PAY etc.............NOT true at all--I learned after 16 yrs. comfort zone and lazy. if you do this, stay no longer than 2 yrs MAX and book to small company--they DO like GSK training backgrounds. Get it and go. Sprint. I made 35% more when I left. I was a higher level that a rep, but made a ton more!!! I was connected with CEO's, PharmD Directors et al in MM. You will and cannot get into my division these days as a rep--period. (outside--NOT inside promos) Get the training, work hard and move to a very small co or even a startup and make your name. You will make twice as much within 3 yrs. You're welcome.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Pharma sales isn't what is was for sure - but neither is any business in medicine - or other industries for that matter. But medicine has gotten worse faster than most. If you can get your M.D. - or maybe be a mid-level PA or NP. They can make a decent living too!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

To the recent grad. You really need to investigate the company and career you are about to select. Yes, we offer nice perks, car, health benefits, a week off at x-mas, etc. These come at a high cost. You will be asked to do things that are impossible. You will find yourself in a quandary most days having to make ethical decisions that go against what you believe. Allow me to give you an example. It may sound trivial but when the final outcome costs you money and potentially your job and reputation, well that aint so trivial.

So here is the scenario: Company says there is a "stretch goal" for representatives tom make at least 8 calls per day. (Simple enough). Some territories in large cities can achieve this by lunch. However, other territories have other challenges which make this daily call goal impossible (long drive times between customers, access issues, long wait times) Add on weekly district conference calls and you have another obstacle to overcome. At the end of the month you maybe average 7 calls per day. Guess what? You have not met company expectations. Your bonus will be lower and potentially placed on a performance plan. All the while you watch some of your colleagues in more urban areas knock out a 10 call a day average and still have time to pick up the kids from daycare everyday. You can explain, rationalize, even have your manger come out to witness your dilemma. Too F-ing bad. So what do you do? You are forced ranked quarterly and this issue puts you at the bottom. What do you do?

GSK manament hasn't seen the light of day for over ten years. Their heads have been securely wedged up their A$$! I'm warning you as a genuine human being, stay away from GSK! Toxic work environment! Seek out a local rep and ask how many employees are currently on disability for stress currently and over the past few years? The number is staggering! You've been warned.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Good advice and vey well articulated of the dysfunction and very truthful. Sad thing is, most young people don't listen to good sense and it will be about the money and opportunity to get their foot in the door and thinking they will be different. Just look at the recent hires in the last year, reps with absolutely no pharma experience hired because mgt believed they would be more adaptable and accepting of Patient First - the fact is: people are people, young or old ... no one likes Patient First and taking tests that are designed to set you up for failure. Hopefully, the OP will take it seriously and look at other companies if they want a real future.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Amen! I hope the OP listens. I hope they seek out a local rep in their area. (not hard to do, just go into any Pulmonary Office and ask for a GSK reps business card...they have them). Call the rep and offer to take them for coffee. It will be the best $5 investment you ever make! You will learn the truth only in a private conversation. Everything the previous two posts stated are spot on! The management team at GSK is inept. The marketing teams have no experience outside of this company. Young and inexperienced and full of mistakes! GSK is a house built on lies. From the top down. Ask reps from other companies what they think of GSK. After they stop laughing, they will tell you it would be the last place they would choose to work. If after that you decide to go on the interview, ask the hiring manager about the attrition rate? Ask the reason for the current opening you are interviewing for. Pay attention to the body language the manager gives you..as they squirm..as they LIE! Believe me, if you are hired, it will be the first of many lies you will be told. Like others have said, you have been warned. Best of luck to you.