Commission and Market Share

Discussion in 'Supernus' started by Anonymous, Jun 27, 2014 at 3:04 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Anyone else confused here? When I first heard that market share was the most fair way of structuring a bonus plan I bought in and accepted it, now hearing about people with the same number of scripts getting double, even triple the market share because their area only has a limited amount of molecule written is bogus. Not to mention coverage and the advantages some states have over others, must be nice.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You must be a new rep.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Think back to when you were at Enterprise rent a car. Some airports heve more volume than others. Those with lesser volume have higher share movement with fewer rentals.

Does that help princess?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Is anyone going to comment on how this bonus plan for Q3 is the worst bonus plan to date? Even if you don't compare it to the other quarters, it will be almost impossible to make $4-5k in bonus unless you are in a preferred medicaid state. Wouldn't this be the most opportune time to have the best bonus plan because of another branded topiramate xr coming to market and wanting to sustain market share and grow it?....

Also, stock is getting killed everyday...

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Horrible bonus plan...

Oh and our stock is getting killed because as of Tuesday we really only have 1 sellable product

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Huh? I swear my RD said this was the most lucrative bonus plan yet, and we would have the opportunity to make even more. I really didn't think they changed much, but went up on the amount per point.

What am I missing?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's all relative. Sorry that they reps making BANK off minimal Oxtellar XR scripts with no baseline will go away, as it should. Sell and grow your product and you'll make plenty.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

True. It does take less scripts to move oxtellar xr previously but than again there was fewer opportunities to get a script of oxtellar. Most physicians were also actually using it for uncontrolled seizures. Tough to move trokendi when many states get rejections because it is not indicated for migraines or weight loss that 99% of our physicians use it for. What should we say when we get into an office and they said recently they put 10 patients on trokendi but only 2 get approved? I like to use the RD line as "its a smokescreen"

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What is the weight loss dose?

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Trokendi xr is not moving because of denials. The denials are happening because of the indication. Oxtellar xr has a smaller market and it's being used on label so it gets approved. There is nothing else to discuss.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Exactly. Our managers want us to either skirt the coverage issue altogether with our physicians, or gloss over it with a generalized - "our coverage is so great!" EIther way, when we see the doctor again, and they have gotten denials on the first three or four scripts they tried to write, it makes us look like idiots at best or liars at worst.

The best part is, now that we have a competitive product on the market, they are telling us not to worry, it will be covered like every other newly launched drug in the last 10 years -- Tier 3 with PA or blocked.

Hmmm.....aren't our drugs newly launched brands within the last 10 years?

I understand that coverage is often a "smokescreen" with doctors. But that doesn't mean it is not a legitimate issue too.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I wouldn't worry about Upsher's launch. They are a cluster from what I have been told.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Would you look at that-- from renting cars and making 40k a year to a full blown pharma rep bitching about coverage on CP all in a little over a year. What an evolution! What you are crying about is a reality industry wide and is not specific to ANY one product. Get to work and accomplish what you can or go back to the industry you came from. Simple enough.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I find it funny that instead of constructive criticism, people choose to make fun of some reps who came from entry level b2b to this job now. Considering most reps in this company are pretty young, were we suppose to come from six figures jobs to come work at a new upcoming pharm company? I am assuming the person above has always been a glorified lunch caterer aka pharm rep since the shire days and now is a highly looked at RD? Sure every company has insurance issues no doubt, but don't say companies like Pfizer, AZ, Forest are in the same boat as us because they are not. ZD's and RD's wanna know why market share has not grown and this is it. You can't tiptoe around the fact that in many states its not getting covered, not even half the prescriptions are getting approved. You give us some ideas how to fix it and we will. I guess VV hasn't sent an audix to all RD's yet on the issue, so RD's stay quiet because they don't speak unless they are told too.

To the person above, when/if we get laid off and are interviewing for the same position somewhere else, 99/100 times the person interviewing are going to appreciate the grind of enterprise reps compared to a person who has been in pharm their whole career with no other exp. They might see some advantages in knowing people's favorite food, remembering receptionist's kids names and knowing how to count samples on time. Pharm rep with no b2b exp is like the smartest person on the short bus. good luck.

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I'm actually pretty annoyed by the response from upper management on this feed. I get the responses on here are a little dated but the way you "upper management" respond is terrible! Reminds me of the shitty company I left. It's easy to create a positive culture when we only see you guys 4 times out of the year. You have to admit that reps getting 38 scripts a week with a 9% market is not the same as a rep getting 50 scripts a week and a 6.50% market share. I'm forced to believe that the other rep is doing better than me based on his/her market when reality is that's not the case. That effects bonus, recognition, and possible awards. I think it's interesting how someone's market can show certain existing numbers on past dates and then out of nowhere change (bigger numbers). I also find it interesting how states that have Medicaid coverage are viewed as better reps. That's complete BS!! The challenges they face are not the same as reps without Medicaid coverage. The response we get is "we have 89% approval rate and your physicians have to be sold". THEY ARE SOLD but the product/s keep getting denied! Who in their right mind is gonna keep trying something that won't get covered. Reality is that supernus is doing about as well as they can considering what the indications are.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The reality is that market is likely the most equitable way to compensate reps in this industry (and many others) where the "buy" isn't crystal clear. What many large pharma companies do however, which most of the Supernus reps don't realize, is that they "handicap" regions or states that have different coverage, access, etc. issues. So in essence (for example), a rep in a state that has approval on state medicaid would need to get 3 Rx's for every 1 Rx in a state where products aren't covered on medicaid. Now, naysayers (RD's and ZD's) will say, "that's too difficult to figure out, etc", but other companies with greater resources take the time to make the playing field level and as equitable as possible. It makes sense for companies to take the time do this since, to not do it will create resentment among those who are constantly getting the $2K or less payouts / quarter while their counterparts get $10K, $12K payouts. Simple put, the correlation to rep performance in medicaid covered states and non-medicaid states is clear. All the salespeople in the non-covered states can't all be duds and alternatively, the reps in the covered states can't all be rock stars. I don't fault Supernus. In fact, if they could take the time to evaluate their compensation model beyond just "average rep payout" I believe they would. I just don't believe they have the resources to manage that piece of it. They're more concerned with getting both products market share higher to fund the next round of X, Y, & Z. Eventually, however, they will come around to this. In the meantime, those reps who are struggling based on their region, not ability will have a difficult time moving up since Supernus is strictly "a performance based company."

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

It's pretty fair broken down by zone. Nothing is going to be perfect but you can do the best with what you have and the "upper management" will understand. There are reps in Texas that have lower MS than a few reps in states with terrible coverage. And the MS system is proportional to each person so it turns out to be relatively even.

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Selling in a state without prefer medicaid status is more challenging, yes. Does it prevent you from achieving marketshare similar to TX, NC, MI, KS etc, NO. Stop trying to justify your average performance- target offices that do not accept medicaid more frequently than your offices that do. Work smarter.

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Average performance?? Ha, that's funny! Who said I didn't have higher market share than some people in states with Medicaid? I perform at a high level, always have and always will. I was clearly pointing out the obvious reality. I could only imagine where I could walk into a office and say "it's covered" and not have people jump through hoops to get it covered. Clearly skipping over your Medicaid offices wouldn't be that of an average performer? If your #1 target had mainly Medicaid patients and not in a Medicaid state would you stop going? No, your gonna frequent that target as much as you can even if you can only squeeze 1 script out of them. Targeting offices that do not have Medicaid more frequently is what average performers do! Working smarter and what is reality are 2 different things. Honestly, I'm happy here, but I do not care for the notion that everyone is equal regardless of what state you work in.