Fucithalmic Availability

Discussion in 'Leo Pharmaceuticals' started by johnep34, Jul 24, 2014 at 5:08 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. johnep34

johnep34 Guest

I joined Leo UK in 1987 as a rep and many happy years until I retired in late 90s. When I joined,
    there was a family atmosphere and the MD knew virtually everyone. AS long as your saes figures were good, and mine were, life was happy and reasonably prosperous.

In 1991 Leo introduced Fucithalmic containing 1% Fucidin which liquefied on contact with the salt in tears. It only had to be used twice a day and had no record like chloramphenicol of 'grey baby syndrome' which had an incidence of 1 : 40,000.

It was very effective and I managed to get majority of my Drs converted, It then started to be used in hospitals where the penetrative activity of Fucidin made it useful fo post cataract ops.

I was prescribed it last year by the consultant for my blepharitis. Had another attack recently and given another script. However, then told by pharmacies had been discontinued, had to change to chloramphenicol ointment which is supposed to be used four times a day and is greasy, smearing vision and messing my glasses.
    Any one know why such an excellent product has been dropped?
    johnep34

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Fucithalmic was sold on to another pharma company earlier this year. I worked at LEO in the late 90s