Are Tenured, Older reps being systematically being targeted by Pfizer for firings?

Discussion in 'Pfizer' started by Anonymous, Jun 1, 2015 at 10:00 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

As an over 40 rep with 13+ years of successful service with the company, I am concerned by the steady disappearance of acheiving, long-tenured reps in my region. It is like folks are being picked-off, one-by-one. I am getting worried that one day I may be targeted even though I am a consistent producer.
    Is this just my imagination or is there a systematic corporate plan to get rid of high-salaried sales reps?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: Are Tenured, Older reps being systematically being targeted by Pfizer for firings

They do everything they can so as not to disrupt doc-rep relationships. Even if it means layoff tenured reps and hired contract ones, change divisions, product mix with no rationale, etc. Also remember, changes in FFO are based on what reps want and what feedback is provided to upper mgmt. So somewhere seasoned reps have told execs that they want to be fired; if it ever makes any sense. And all thru this the reps must control the controllables, find a new way to gain access, always promote efficacy over access/savings card even though doc says med cost is a big factor, trumpet the fact that Sunshine Act is a boon to the industry, etc etc.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: Are Tenured, Older reps being systematically being targeted by Pfizer for firings

It's not just Pfizer. I know for a fact Novo Nordisk is doing it. They have over hired and want to keep alive the "no layoffs" mentality. It's cheaper to run off older reps than to have to pay severance. Especially the older reps who have reaches Senior or Executive status. I'm sure other companies are doing the same thing.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

White, male, heterosexual, religious, and conservative have been targeted for some time.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Middle aged, White, male, heterosexual, religious, and conservative have been targeted for some time. And if you've saved any money, well Obama wants that too.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you wear your religion or politics on your sleeve, you are asking for trouble.

Best advice: Keep 'em guessing.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Good post!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Read what you posted: "13+ years of successful service"......"a consistent producer"... Consistent producers are a dime a dozen; "XX years of successful service" just means you have had a few good years somewhere along the line, despite your best efforts. We need WINNERS. We need people that want to go beyond where they are now, and will do whatever it takes to get there.
    Good luck.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Laying off older employees to reduce costs happens in almost every industry. This is America. It's corporate profit that counts, not people. Voters are OK with it too, voting Republican even though the GOP keeps taking more and more away from them.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Spoken by good liberal patsy.

The worst part is after you get the axe at 40-50. There are few jobs and the ideal of making six-figures again is about zero. Many lose everything. A horrible experience I would not wish on any human soul. It is chilling and will bring a person to their knees. Hard on families, self-esteem etc. Oddly, your best hope is to be brave enough to die in plastic shoes and Good Will clothes as you beg for medication at Costco. Even worse, family gatherings. So....how's the job hunt? Your in sales - sales is universal? You should be able to find something. Hey have you tried Costco or Home Depot? Real Estate would be good.

You will look back and wish you would have left before the bus crash. However, my neighbor was forced out at 50. She retired. How, she was fat, not too pretty a pharmacist, never married, saved every nickel and had six cats. Brutal.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I don't see it. Over the many layoffs in the last decade, many older reps have stayed on and cuts seem to affect all age groups. I don't think there is any real data to prove any of this and it is difficult to get an accurate picture of distribution of those laid off. I was cut at 61 as my whole LAT was eliminated, various ages and tenure. My advice? Stay as long as you can...everything builds up. Pension, 401k, salary and years toward severance. Limit your lifestyle by living below your means, maximize pay with performance, raises and promotions to specialty if possible. If you can get close enough to 60 or so and have controlled the financials in you life, you should be able to retire or work less for some additional income. If you had 3 or 4 children and they're all heading to college in your 50's, that should have been planned for. We all chose this career and have known for years that longevity in it is tenuous at best. If you haven't developed a plan B for your 50's or 60's, then that was your choice as well. Do it now.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

They absolutely are targeting older people for layoffs. Our DM has a couple of old guys who he is just riding hard, not recognizing them for their accomplishments, even though they are over budget. His time will come too.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Uhmm…with the exception of "religious", you just described 95% of the KAMs, and pretty much all of the managers in my region. When some of us came over from PD, we were shocked! That crazy woman (Dee someone) that pushed the "women in leadership" initiative was too much of a kool aid drinker to see that she was being used for a cover-up.

Back to OPs point: older reps are being targeted throughout this dying industry. Talk to a headhunter for Petes sake! Stop being so myopic. Even a quick jaunt through CafePharma will see complaint on many companies sites

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The way you say it....fat...had six cats. LOL LOL LOL.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Total bull! When my company was acquired by Fizzer I was amazed for years at how the organization was full of ultra conservative, white, ultra religious men and women, and it seemed like about half had military experience. Was not at all representative of the general population.
    And they were not being pushed out.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are describing the Pfizer of over 10 years ago!!

17. #17 Anonymous, Jun 2, 2015 at 10:49 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2015 at 7:45 AM
    Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are describing the Pfizer of over 10 years ago!!

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's the way of the world. Unless you are over 60, you are making too much and you are a target. In 2006, of the four reps in my geo area that were cut, 3 were between 53 y/o to 58 y/o. At that time we had one of the largest training classes of new reps. So when the cuts happened, there was a balance of old versus new reps. Lesson learned, have a back up plan.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

To answer your question, YES.
    But it's a little broader...You know that nice juicy raise you're celebrating? In a couple of
    years, that will add to the reasons to let you go.
    In other words it's $$ earned that target you. a 50yr earning 20% less than a 45yr old is
    safer in the short term.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Truth.

Also, when you decide not to move up the chain, or if you stop in midstream, you give up the right to make decision including when you go. Unless you are a protected class. Fact and truth.

...and never trust HR. They are CYA and protect their own...meaning color, sexual preference, etc.... CD.