Basic sales training coming?

Discussion in 'Merck' started by Anonymous, Apr 19, 2014 at 2:35 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Rumor is upper management has concluded the problem isn't marketing or MRL but in the sales forces. Everyone can see years and years of soft goals and managers plus failed strategies like the new commercial model is a big part of the problem.

But you can't hide from the issue that Merck's sales reps are poorly trained. So those left standing after the bomb is dropped will all go through a lengthy, back to the basics sales training. These skills will be strictly enforced by more frequent coaching and role playing during field visits. Those who need improvement will have a professional sales trainer work with them 1-1 in the field. If that doesn't work the reps contract will be terminated.

So if you are one who's always wanted more training you will be happy, otherwise better get your mind right or leave.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

"reps contract"......?......gee wiz, did you let the cat out of the bag?

If new ways are really wanted we'll need fresh, new sales trainers! Not recycled Merck managers or current or past Merck trainers ... these are just like our reps.

Here's a bingo idea...... ask for volunteers who can offer something new! Folks with other sales backgrounds. Folks who have been around the block with other pharma, other training programs.....Hmmm. Big discount training with the inside edge!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The problem HAS to be with the "execution", right? COULDN'T BE because the environment has changed, we don't play ball with PBMs and large plans, we are shut out of hospitals, hospital clinics, group practices…..No, it HAS to be because during out 30 seconds of face time, we aren't able to successfully mutter a full blown presentation.

The idiocy of our management simply can't be overstated. They honestly believe that its 1993.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There are many examples of salesforces selling the crap out of a mediocre, me too product (like schering did with nasonex). The fact is Merck reps and CTLs can't sell anything unless it's first in class with broad managed care coverage.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Let the bomb drop. I can't wait much longer.

And oh yes, just try that 1990's "hard sell" approach with docs these days and see how long you will be welcomed back in their office. Reps are about two steps from being completely banned as it is.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So true for many offices. Say anything about products or competitors and its dooms day! Ask around in the field. We all know a few doctors or entire offices like this. Its tip toe through the tulips!!! :)

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Basic sales training? Isn't basic for people who are new? People who need an ABC level training?

Should be interesting for those with decades of experience under to get "the basics." Wow!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Please---Please----PLEASE give me a severance!!!!!!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Once again Merck ignores the obvious. Blaming slumping sales and market share growth on a faulty or poorly trained sales force is like blaming your dog for an IRS audit. Yes, in the past, a competent, well trained rep could have a positive effect on their market but please, anyone who really thinks that reciting a few more catch phrases or coming up with more creative ways to close is going to turn this ship around is delusional. Our socialized medical system coupled with out-of control government regulations and mangled care have all but destroyed this industry and rendered any salesmanship impotent. Merck knows this, but to face up to this fact would force them to acknowledge a chaotic and dysfunctional system that they had a large part in creating. Way to go Merck! how's all that campaign $$ you doled out to all the lefties in DC working for you now?

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not quite, Merck was only able to maintain 1st place once, the rest wee easily overtaken by pharma willing to negotiate with plans (I remember the decision to drop a product to tier three because they thought lower volume but higher profit-FAIL), do DTC etc. Don't forget the decision makers have ZERO accountability or risk-a bad decision is treated the same as a good decision because they did 'something". The reps are accountable to make the sale anyway and pay the price for the poor decision in lost bonus.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So true! Lsat FV "coached" to do a "hard close" on every call. Sadly, the CTL is brainwashed and clueless at the same time. You would think that "sales management" would wonder why so many offices are closed to reps? For some odd reason they don't care???

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

True.

A good products comes first, MC scope and tier second, R&F is next (and no bogus calls), resource utilization (placing ALL those things called samples each and every month).

.....on a scale from 1-10 most detailing is about 8-9 on impact in the beginning of product life and upon competition ..........all before they see results for themselves, then it drops to 5 or less.

One pointer...docs do like medical knowledge. They do not like fancy (detail) dancing!

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Regulations? Funny thing every Pharma is under a CIA and its business as usual. There are agreements between the companies that prevent them from competing for the best reps-oops labor regulations ignored. Almost every company has manufacturing "problems" that the regulators missed. What about the FDA? Warnings about missing post marketing studies are also ignored. Regulations are NOT the p;problem.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm sure it wasn't the dogs fault when Frazier was audited by the IRS but he does seek council from his beloved pet. It was his dog's idea to sell the Summit site.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not all pharma companies are under a CIA. Mostly the larger ones.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Field coaching reports that actually allow text? Nah, never going to happen. That may be useful to organizations who invest in their employees, but that's not something Merck is interested in. Kenny needs his double digit merit increase and training and development are the first to go.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Just the evil ones like Merck

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Such a great post…wish I had written this one myself, but I am not sure I could have done it
    as well…Bravo! 100% spot on!

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Unfortunately, the fools in management and their lackey consultant agencies don't understand today's environment. i WOULD love to see them try to probe and ask open ended "implication" questions to a harried doc with 4 rooms filled with patients, a waiting room packed to the gills, and a stack of paperwork, the liked of which did not exist in 1993.

Its funny, but I have friends and family members that work for many top 10 pharma companies. Its ironic that almost every.single.one.of.us will be "turbocharging" (Sanofi's term) soon. Upper management must not do honest to goodness field rides, or read hospital, medical, health plan blogs about banning us entirely. As a 15 year vet in my 3rd territory, thats my reality, and that of my friends.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Spot on!