Monsters In the Workplace

Discussion in 'Reckitt Benckiser' started by Anonymous, Feb 16, 2011 at 12:58 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Excerpt from -Monster managers- from the Associated Business Psychologists,
    By Holly Andrews
    Recognize yourselves? Oh and many aren’t managers, many of you.
    If I asked you where I could find a psychopath you might tell me to look in a prison or a secure hospital, right? The worrying truth is that you may not need to look so far to find these so called “monsters”. Research has shown that approximately 1% of the general population is psychopathic, and that these individuals are prospering in our organizations. They use their charm and charisma to woo all sorts of people. Once hired, they exploit colleagues, manipulate communication networks and create a façade of the ideal leader. They do all this without actually doing much work or possessing any of the necessary qualities to be a good leader. The damage they can cause to a business and the people they work with can be extreme. Anyone who has ever worked with somebody who is ruthless, remorseless, impulsive and reckless will no doubt tell you that a colleague like this can turn your life into a living nightmare.

So, what mask will you be donning this Halloween? Undoubtedly, revelers across the country will enjoy an evening’s entertainment pretending to be deathly Dracula, a ghastly ghoul, the Wicked Witch of the West or some similarly frightful character! However, once Halloween is over, the masks come off and normality is restored…or is it? What about those people who wear masks all year round, specifically those characters who play a role in a workplace near you? Research lays bare the masked employee, the organizational charlatan who dazzles their audience with a high calibre, theatrical display of what they can do, whilst all the time their backstage behaviours tell a very different story. We are all familiar with the sly colleague who openly accepts praise for work they did not do, having secretly delegated it to someone else. (Their wives, boyfriends, etc.) Or what about the boss who seems out of their depth but survives by “talking the talk,” promoting the impression that they are scoring all of the organizational goals set for them, whereas, in reality, they are struggling and unable to perform in the way they ought to be. Employees who engage in such unethical behaviour cause mayhem in the business world, with their deceptive performance costing their employer unknown profit losses, and their disruptive influence alienating their colleagues and causing dissension in the workforce.
    They never, ever look the part by the way. Deviants go to great extremes to appear as if they fit in. Sometimes, in their desperate attempt to appear normal, they stand out and someone notices. Namely, their victims.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I can hardly believe my eyes. Someone here, actually is catching on. The tribe has spoken.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Research has shown that approximately 1% of the general population is psychopathic, and that these individuals are prospering in our organizations. They use their charm and charisma to woo all sorts of people. Once hired, they exploit colleagues, manipulate communication networks and create a façade of the ideal leader. They do all this without actually doing much work or possessing any of the necessary qualities to be a good leader.

Sounds like corporate America! Managers who have all sorts of 'cognitive distortions' and shift blame for their incompetence

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That sounds reasonable...A company of 320 or so people (RB NA) and they have a disproportionate number of psychopaths working there....sure. So, let me get this striaght....1% of the general population is psychotic/borderline, and but at RB the number is maybe 20%? Wow. That's hard to imagine mathematically...Get a life...you don't like your manager? Find another job. This is the same crap on EVERY pharma company's board, ______(insert pharma company) has terrible, backstabbing management, terrible company, etc....WAAHHH! Grow up

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: Managers In the Workplace

People don't quit their jobs, they quit their managers. Often managers abuse their power and authority and are no better than the average rep out there. They do what they can to keep their jobs rather than be coach-leaders - I can say there are very few quality managers out there today and this is the reason for the problems in the industry, the lack of leadership. Corporate American and politics.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Even if they don't abuse their power they still "manage" with the cover my ass.. all about me syndrome. When is the last time your manager asked "how would you like it to be?"

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So true. In my first position was in big pharma and my manager got his job from a relative (not earned). The second, the manager didn't even complete her associate degree (yet one has to have at least a bachelors degree). Another job was an example of politics where the boss's friend who didn't perform got to stay and since I was hired last, I was let go.

I can say there are very few good leaders as managers. I wonder if this company will be different.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Montvale.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Always has been a pervasive problem here. A very serious pervasive problem, so you don't need to ask if its going to be different here. Its not, its way worse than the industry usual and in any corp. I've ever worked in. Way. The only thing different, the wacks here hide their sneaky inept ways very very well. They are pro's at it.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

WAAHHHHH...."sneaky inept ways?" so they are stealthy but not smart? seems weird to me...oh and they are pros, not pro's.
    It's way worse than the industry usual? REALLY? Have you worked for Pfizer? Merck? AZ? You HAVE to be kidding me. That is a total joke, right? This company at least gives you a quota to attain, and let YOU pick your targets. Try that with the big boys, just ask, and you'd be out on your ASSSS that day.
    Get a life or GTFO

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No, YOU are a total joke.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I wonder what you are plottting to do this year at someone else's career expense? I picture you sharpening your knives, just waiting for an exposed back to shove it in to. Sick bitches & pricks feed off the same blood. Eating disorder was just the tip of your warped hatefulness. No doubt all of you will plot to remove and annihilate anyone in your path to a new house, undeserved award or trip or promotion. Underneath your facades of bleached teeth, fresh pressed suits and smarmy attempted innocent poses, are people's careers and lives. Ah but blood under you fingernails and fresh minty breaths comes so naturally for you. After all, you think you are extraordinary and anyone in your Hitler like world must be destroyed and will Be.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There are no innocents here. There are cons, actors, players, sociopaths & psychopaths - all extremely well rehearsed in livid double lives & covering their tracks.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Geez, you really need to switch to decaf you hysterical nut job.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Agreed, hopefully this person has a aluminum foil hat on

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Dafuq did I just read??

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It sucks reading about yourself now, doesn't it. Its always hard to see the picture, when your face is in the frame. Ruthless, remorseless, impulsive and reckless, that would be you.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Gotta love that AP. Touche!

Now that their little frozen nuts and titties aren't functioning, they'll be real monsters. Their usual tools are out of commission.

Blah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You stayed up all night just to post that? Are you a meth tweeker?

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No doubt, you know all about that. Your screamer rants tell on you. You hate being outed for the loser scumbag you and your kind are. The cesspool of R.B. will swallow you whole.