Looking for suggestions to break into the field.

Discussion in 'Zimmer' started by Anonymous, Nov 18, 2013 at 7:12 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am interested in medical device sales. I have recently started pharma, only because I needed some sales experience. I have a MS in anatomy, and medical devices is my goal (since most full time teaching jobs are out). I don't plan on being in pharma long, because I heard medical device companies hate them, and I don't blame them. I know you can make good money with hard work and motivation, and I have plenty of that. I am asking for any other suggestions/tips to break into the industry with no other sales experience except my current pharma job. Thank you for the serious answers.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Medical device sales is a brutal, cut throat business with very little chance of survival. You are fortunate to have a job in Pharma. My advice is stay there and be the the best Pharma rep in the country

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I strongly agree with the previous post AND THOUSANDS OTHER LIKE IT ON THE DEVICE BOARDS! I'm nine years in device and made similar money and had a much better QUALITY OF LIFE IN PHARMA. Grass is not greener here. Do not listen to the morons on here saying device rocks, most of them are unemployed trolling these boards.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

AMEN! well said! With all the trend to go direct especially at Z you will be living the pharma life
    I know we went direct no sales manager a branch manager who has no ortho experience and we have 3 hr conference calls on what we did this week. Also great spreadsheets only problem no sales to go on them! HELP

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I can imagine that if you go direct, you would waste more time on reports rather than doing anything useful. Welcome to the world of all ZIMMER employees! We are all managed by people who want to roll up reports that make them look good. The fact that wasting time on these constant reports takes time away from accomplishing something or taking care of our customers is not important.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The problem with pharma is that it is a severely dying business when it comes to reps. They are all going contract and highly unstable. Now I know nothing is stable anymore, and I get the management bullshit/no life kind of thing. I believe you that a lot of it sucks, but apparently my degree isn't as useful as I thought. And I'm not going back to making $13/hr with a MS degree. I will keep looking for faculty positions regardless, but even then, I will be lucky to make 50k being full time.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I sympathize with you and don't want you to compound your grief...make the most of your pharma gig and look outside of device. In five years you will be glad you did.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Do you have any other suggestions? I am open to things. I just need to figure out what else I can do to make a good living. I can learn any job, and I have the work ethic to do well. I just have mine and my husband's student loans to pay, and I need to save for retirement. So I will take what I can get.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Why are you asking total strangers on an anonymous message board for career advice? You should have thought a little harder about career options and earnings potential BEFORE you decided to borrow a bunch of money to go to college and get a masters degree in anatomy.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No shit Sherlock....which is why I am exploring all different options. Sometimes people in life don't make the right choices, so they need to see what else it out there. And btw...my graduate degree was free, my undergrad loans are manageable. It's paying for my spouses student loans that is more difficult. I am just wanting to make a good living for myself, so fuck off if you don't have any reasonable advice.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Same thing on the device side. The dirty little secret is that a sizable percentage of the ortho/spinal device reps that make the insane money do not have a college degree. With that said, a college degree is a bad investment in the Year of Our Lord 2013 (generally).

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

She asked because there actually are people out there who learned to find satisfaction in helping others out and are willing to do it anonymously knowing that no credit will likely ever come back to them.

It's you who should be scolded.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

With a mouth like that perhaps a career in the Navy is where you can truly blossom.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This post is painful to read. Your goal is a job in devices because a full time teaching job is out? WTF? News flash, a job in devices is a lot of hard work. You should probably sign up as a supply teacher and wait for a teaching gig, you aren't cut out for devices.