Do you live on your territory?

Discussion in 'Merck' started by Anonymous, Aug 15, 2014 at 2:53 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

In years past, field reps were required to live within the territory that they covered. Today I know of 3 in my area who live outside of their territory. Long commutes. Is this common all over the country now? Sure makes for a long day.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It is a bad situation for many. A total disaster in territory assignments.
    Hours and hours of daily commutes are very common.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Very strange, but some good reps who lived smack dab in their territory were let go. They moved distant travelers into some of these spots. Setting things up for a downswing in more folks and more sales?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Also, is there not also an issue if you cross state lines into a state which has an income tax where you work (territory) vs if you live in the state which has no income tax?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have heard for years that it is required to live within the geography that you work as a sales rep. That is bogus now and has always been bogus. Thank goodness it is not a requirement. I have been in field sales in various positions for 28+ years and have always seen reps, DM's, HSA's, Region Managers, DCO's and whatever living outside of their respective geographies. I was hired in 1986 and worked for 3 years outside of my territory and have done it 2 other times in my tenure. This is not new and will hopefully continue as territories change frequently. If you move because of a little inconvenience then you will move very frequently in field sales. Again, this is nothing new.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Its one thing to drive 25 miles to the territory. Now we hear its 50-100-150 miles just to territory! BIG difference. Put it in round trip then drive the territory all day. Reps must do it 5 days a week. For managers its easy, they get hotel options and short weeks with office days.

Isn't it time to put a value on your life? How about your safety and physical being? Geez, I feel a wave of fatigue coming over me just thinking about the driving.