Inhaled Insulin will Target Januvia

Discussion in 'Merck' started by Anonymous, Aug 11, 2014 at 11:44 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sanofi just acquired marketing rights to Mannkind's inhaled insulin, which looks like a spectacular product.

The doctors generally know that drugs like Januvia are grotesquely overused and that most diabetics would benefit greatly from insulin. This inhaled insulin gets past the one key reason they are hesitant to use more insulin---the needle. The docs will embrace this inhaled insulin, the patients will accept it and Juanuvia will tank. Hard.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sanofi makes Lantus. It's the perfect marriage of long-acting and prandial insulins. This will change the way many, many physicians treat diabetes. The oral agents will all suffer, but especially the branded ones. And especially Januvia, which is the least effective oral agent available.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This drug is going to really hurt Januvia. I could make the argument that it should replace every Januvia Rx.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Why will insurance companies reimburse pulmonary insulin when injections are much cheaper?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Needlephobia.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Needle, supply cost -- big.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Needlephobia = nonexistent (these people have been injecting themselves for years).
    Needle cost = trivial compared to the cost of a branded inhaled insulin.

Exubera was going to change the diabetes world, too, put all the injectable insulin makers out of business. Until it didn't.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Cost is not going to be an issue for Sanofi. Sanofi cut a good deal and will be able to undercut or match price the Novalog and Humalog needle pens. This will catch the market by surprise and gain them formulary status right out of the gate. The fact that Humalog and Novalog are so expensive list vs. the deal that each has with either cvs or express will play to Sanofi/Mannkinds advantage. They are going for a volume play, this is why Mannkind picked Sanofi and why they are incented to run and not sit around wondering whether sales growth will stay high enough or should they sand bag the milestone payments.

Sanofi will make a killing and Mannkind will be worth 10 billion once their technolsphere platform is proved out as a blockbuster drug delivery platform.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Insulin is insulin is insulin. Mannkind has a different way to deliver it not a major break thru. We will see how it does. They also have pulmonary issues that other delivery methods don't have.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Another competitor is another competitor is another competitor! Another mouth taking bites from our pie. In a stagnate market we can only go down with more reps fighting for a piece of the pie. Doesn't take much. Just a script here, a script there, and we are to coming anywhere near double digit growth like senior leadership is looking for.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Needlephobia is the NUMBER ONE reason insulin therapy is postponed across all areas of medicine, including endocrinologists. Nothing else is even on the radar. If you don't understand that, stop reading---your 65 IQ won't let you comprehend anything.

Exubera was a train wreck. Bad pharmacodynamics and a horrible dosing "bong". That product was a mess. Mannkind's device is world-class. It should be named Medical Device of the Decade.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

A doctor doesn't say to their patient "oh look another competing product that may help you has entered the marketplace, I think I will prescribe Januvia now". This is going to take away some market share.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You could fly to Jerico with a flag up your ass too! There are already plenty of insulins you dope and this one just changes to point of entry and screws up the respiratory system. The problem with the last inhaled insulin was not the bong but putting a growth factor in the bronchial tree..(not the one in your back yard). This one will cause the same amount of trouble the last one did! Notice that everyone always go after #1...they should be targeting SGLT2's according to other posters...they are the new miracle drugs!

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sure. And no one's going to have a problem inhaling a dry powder directly into their lungs several times a day. No potential problems there. Time will tell, but I'm not getting my panties all in a bunch.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Everyone targets Januvia cause it is the big winner in the diabetes market..even your gaucheyed mother targets Januvia! Why target losers...have you ever heard anyone say we're just as good as Tragenta or Farxiga or Onglyza...why would they? How the hell did you pass marketing 101?

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I've been selling Januvia since its launch. I've never believed it to be of much help to patients and, yes, I do believe that the primary effect of any oral agent is that they delay the use of insulin. Insulin that actually would help patients.

This new inhaled insulin looks like a much better way to dose insulin. It also won't scare the patients away from a therapy that actually does something to help them. I shudder to think at the millions of patients that Januvia is harming, directly (pancreas disease) and indirectly (delayed insulin use). It's sick. It's criminal. It's very profitable.

Welcome to the New Merck. Now we put the patient last. Sorry, George.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I doubt pulmonary insulin, if succesful, will primarily eat Januvia market share. The pulmonary route has serious safety concerns attached, COGS is unfavorable, it will really be prandial, injectable insulin which is the main substitution product.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Folks that invested in Mnkd will probably take a bath on their investment. This is a very risky proposition.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/12843691/1/blame-mannkinds-fall-on-its-bloated-balance-sheet.html?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

We will keep our Market Share by doing what we've always done . Pay our docs. That's the strategy in a nutshell.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I don't think so. injectable insulin will be flatly rejected by patients who don't want to start a lifetime of needle pokes. Mannkind's delivery device is world class and the risks haven't shown to be there at all in patients with normal pulmonary function. You didn't read the data. I did. It will easily surpass $2 billion before its life cycle is finished. MNKD will be a $15-20 stock in one year.