I will be retiring in the near future younger than i hoped

Discussion in 'Pfizer' started by Anonymous, Mar 16, 2013 at 3:55 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have 1.1 million in savings not including my house which only has 210,000 to be paid off. I am 49, don't think there are many years left in this industry. I hope to get 5 more years here and then working another 5 doing something else that pays me only 50 grand or so, not as high stress. I have been frugal for the most part, enjoying nice vacations every year. No extra car. the glory days are done kids. These jobs will be gone at some point.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I totally agree with you.. I am a little older than you and have a bit more money saved between pension and 401-K. I am expecting that I will end up leaving soon either by layoffs or resigning. The writing is on the wall. The glory days are definitely over, and I've accepted that. But the stress of constant change, layoffs, compliance issues, and many other factors have taken its toll. It's a matter of a year or so for me, just hoping to get a severance payout for all the years I've devoted. The next job will be just something I truly enjoy and am passionate about rather than the money. Not worth it anymore.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

And what job do you figure on getting, with 30 years as "pharma rep" on your resume? If you are like the huge majority of ex-Pfizer reps, you'll either line up for CSO pharma rep job OR hope to God that you have enough connections to get you into UCB or one of the small Japanese companies run by Pfizer cast-offs.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I got to add 5 years to my age during the 2008 downsizing, and after 22 years, my severance plus my 401K gave me a healthy retirement. I was so excited. However, we made the mistake of moving away from family and friends, so I am somewhat bored. We plan to move home once our kids go to college. I found work on a contract basis, making about 40% of what I used to. No stress and I can take months off at a time. I travel with friends quite a bit. Go for it - volunteer doing what you like. Go get more education in an area that interests you, but do not move!!!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I will ride this bitch as far into the ground that I can. I despise this company and will take the maximum advantage I can. This point of view was instilled from our ELT. FU pfe.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm shocked to see so much criticism of Pfizer and the industry. Isn't the pharma industry the ultimate American success - highly profitable for shareholders and executives? This is the private enterprise system you all idolize. You hate all things government but the "free market" can never do anything wrong. That's you, right??? Right?????? Well then just shut up and keep working like a slave for big business because that's the system that you mindlessly support.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

its a monopoly system, and you are a worker bee like most.

what a terrible way to go through life, working for a corporation that could care less about you, and selling products that do more harm than good.

I sell in corporate, but not pharmaceuticals, because your products are junk! And my company is a good one, because we don't sell things that hurt others, like your industry does.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Multiple diatribes on a pharma website within 35 minutes? I see that someone could benefit from high dose of our products Geodon and Zoloft.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Suggest everyone do something else one enjoys: I have an insurance license, a real estate license, an appraisor's license, an interior design license and degree. It is fun once retired with a pension and not having all of the minutia to worry about at big pharma. It is all made much more difficult than it needs to be.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Shocked ? What are you - new around here ? Pharma is NOT the ultimate American success at this point. It is heavily regulated by government, and has lost the innovative spirit it once had. Why do insist on putting words in others mouths. I do not see anyone on this thread saying they idolize private enterprise and hate all things government. It would appear you have a preset agenda - Go AWAY.

P.S. Private enterprise, while not perfect, is better than having the federal government running everything. Not that we are there yet, but we are headed in that general direction, especially in health care.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What you did requires initiative and perseverance, among other qualities. Name me two Pfizer reps or managers that you have met in the past 10 years that have demonstrated those qualities. Our product lines and belief that we were the best made many of us lazy sheeple. How many of us have I heard bragging about the great part-time life we led, while stealing from the expense accounts by feeding our families on Uncle Charlie Pfizer's tab?

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Really I wish you people would stop blaming the government for our ills. WE did this to ourselves, not the government. Sheesh, you sound like just those nuts running around in the woods in camo' fatigues getting ready for the attack on the Zionists or coloreds.

Pharma decided to pull money from R&D from smaller projects so that they could all find the next $5 B blockbusters. You can still read 10 year old annual reports from most of big pharma, and note that either low risk "me-toos" or combination products (i.e. Caduet or Lipitor/torcep.) or "potential blockbusters" were all the rage. None of these idiots had the sense to realize that when the blockbusters of the 90s-early 00s went off patent, MCOs would thumb their nose at our "new" blockbusters. So now, everyone is stuck with a patent cliff, because none of their combos or blockbusters panned out.

Our heyday of the 90s and 2000s were the result of R&D wins started out 10 years prior, and then other companies believing the hype and asking us to sell their drugs for them. Our decline of the past 7 years is a result of the loss of expected blockbusters Indiplon, Exubra, Daxas, Lipit/Torcep, Oporia, and Lyrica (for GAD) along with the realization that the silly pod system was based on faulty OLD-ASS data. Oh, that and the worst leadership selection and development program in the pharma industry.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

True and fair statement. For most tangible purposes, "R&D" has ceased to exist. Pretty much at all the companies. It's mainly involved in clinicals and formulation...and Oh Yes, slide presentations and reports.
    Always the "next big thing" gets in the way of solid and hard investigation and invention.
    Short term upwardly mobile "managers" left behind a useless legacy of "plans", promises, and "goals".

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Who is blaming the government for everything ? I said that that the industry is heavily regulated - which it is, and in fact needs to be. However, this takes away from some of the attractiveness of the sales job. You can't just free lance. I also said Pfizer had lost the innovative spirit it once had - you give some very good examples of that. Yes - Pfizer went for the big dollar blockbusters and continued to swing for the home run rather than the singles and doubles. In a way, the success of Lipitor really hurt the company for the long run - it got fat, lazy and wasteful. It also had some rather inept leadership that thought they could out muscle other companies by just adding "noise level" and mutiple layers of sales forces. The TACU was a joke. There was clearly a law of diminishing returns in increasing the size of the sales force. It also led to an arms race in the industry which hurt the image of the professional sales rep. I agree with everything in your message.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Agree with both posters, but want to emphasize a point made in earlier post. I remember how horrified we legacy PD people were after attending our first Pfizer meeting. The newly promoted Regional Manager (from Pfizer) was so awful and arrogant that during the breaks, phone booths were stuffed with people calling headhunters. No lie.

We also couldn't believe the lazy work ethic, especially of the younger Pfizer reps. In our region, they were driven by spending their T&E budgets and dropping off cases of samples. We heard that one Pfizer rep further north was actually a full time dental school student....while he was a Pfizer rep.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

how much money does everyone have?

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

About 75% less than the numbers you're going to see posted.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hysterical. i laughed so hard i farted at the same time. <embarrassed>

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

At 42 years old, if I told you everyone would say i am lying. I will be leaving in the next 6 months and living off my investments. Pfizer has allowed me to run my own business for the last 10 years while working here. Right or wrong- I am out of Pharma before my 43rd birthday. For the rest of my life I only plan on wearing suits to weddings or funerals.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

52 yrs old , 1,300,000 in 401k , house paid off, no debt. Still love my job.