What's going on a MicroPort?

Discussion in 'MicroPort Orthopedics' started by Anonymous, Jan 27, 2015 at 12:50 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Unfortunately. MPO's investment in ortho recon seemed promising after WMT neglected it for so long, and maybe it ultimately will be. It just seems more like the potential was wasted on unnecessary projects (renovations come to mind) and terribly mismanaged resources. We can all see it. I hope for the sake of all of us who rely on this place for our livelihoods that management sees it too, and turns things around, but I'm less than confident it can happen at this point.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There is one reason why any TJA manufacturer would sell off its TJA business: to avoid realizing the aggregate negative effect to its non-TJA business. Even with an aging population resulting in increased volume, there is no way a commoditized TJA business can outpace pricing caps, especially as the median ratio of the cost of a device to the entire surgery cost has now been established (43%). Incentives under the ACA for Accountable Care Orgs are going to require this median be significantly reduced. The above, of course, is why Wright sold the TJA business off.

Similarly, there is one reason why a suitor would buy the TJA business: to grow the TJA line in OUS markets where downward pricing pressures have been stable for some time, thereby making growth more predictable. This requires de-leveraging R&D investment and re-assigning those funds to distribution in those OUS markets.

In short, a successful MP business in Arlington can be described as a distribution center that perhaps maintains an engineering and regulatory group. The purpose of this skeleton crew is simple: keep products approved and distributed in stable OUS markets. Better yet, the Chinese could do all that themselves and, in the process, reduce their cost of goods for even greater gains.

I'm not certain of the recent departures or the scope of the lack of work cited in this thread. But who has left and what work remains would indicate whether the assessment above is correct.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This guy...this guy gets it.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ehhh... That guy gets it huh. Bullshit. That guy makes excuses for why he doesn't break 200k every year. That guy has no confidence.

Close your eyes...imagine what a successful rep would be saying right now. How would he be sitting in his chair? What might be the smile that washed acrossed his face? Would he be writing here? No.

Now go on ... Close your eyes...and be better then this thread. Be better then the Internet in general. You have great products. We all do. What else do you need? Someone to wipe your ass? Enjoy the Chinese money and your independence from the tyrany of the big 3.

Have a better day tomorrow.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey Ted - great pep talk! Was wondering when you were going to weigh in here.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Clock's ticking on the next round of layoffs....

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Give it a rest. It's been 12 months and the recon line has had more innovation with MPO than the last 10 years with WMGI. This isn't the F&A world where you can just go buy a company who has a new snap off screw to get some more foot dentist business, recon takes time to get products to the field. That said if the ship isn't right this time next year, I would start to worry.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Care to elaborate on all that innovation this past year?

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Tell that to the vendors we aren't paying due to the financial crunch. Yeah, things are so swell we can't even pay the guys we contract to make our stuff. Delinquency in bill reconciliation is always a sign of a healthy, prosperous organization.

If everyone has great products, then the only differentiators are price, breadth and services offered and how do you propose we compete on that domestically?

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Innovation? Are you on crack?! It's more like stagnation!

Keep dreamin, chopsticks.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

True. There has been more ortho recon innovation in the past year at MPO than was true for the last decade at WMT. But that's like saying congratulating someone for being the world's most talkative mute. That's great for them, but they still can't speak.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes - if you want to call innovation putting a fixed necks on their modular stems! Classic - no pun intended.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ask not for whom the bell tolls,
    It tolls for thee.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

...and there shall be weeping & wailing & gnashing of teeth.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

More innovation? Don't get me wrong I left wright years ago bc I could see writing on the wall but Wright launched the evolution knee, several hip stems, Path, Supercap, superpath, biofoam,prophecy, etc. what exactly has MPO done? If anything(don't know if sales number support this) DJO surgical has been beating out Wright medical recently.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Listen to the ticking of the clock....

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

"The churchbell of doom is tolling
    The angel of death is near
    The ghost with the cowl and the sickle
    Spreading terror and fear''

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him."

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So when broadcast entities start dropping channels, it's only a matter of time before the transmission ceases altogether.

<clue>