DePuy Extremities Question??

Discussion in 'DePuy Ortho' started by Anonymous, Jun 12, 2014 at 9:06 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So is it true that DePuy Synthes is getting out of extremities? Heard that agility ankle has been totally removed from the market in the US? Anyone have any details.....????

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

agility is garbage. That's all. Discontinued because its bad for patients.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What about Shoulders? Are they leaving them with the Recon team or moving them to T&E?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think it is a shame that DePuy has just relied on their shoulder for extremity business. The extremity market is the biggest growth market in Ortho. The agility is terrible but they have had plenty of time to either redesign that, develop a new one, or bring over their mobility ankle from Europe. They also should be looking at a total elbow. Although a smaller market they are completely out of it which means upper extremity surgeons have to use Zimmer, Biomet, or Tornier. If we had a total ankle you could hire some reps in larger markets to focus on foot and ankle or you could hire extremity reps. They could sell Synthes plates and screws combined with DePuy products

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Agree about the total elbow. Not having one in the bag is a joke. Giving up a major case like that to your big surgeons really sucks

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Easy answer on this.
    Since I worked there a number of years their only concern is profit to New Brunswick.
    The market size for the elbow is too small for DePuy upper management to consider the investment.
    Blame that on Andy Exdahl and Rob Chambers at this point as they have decided to by-pass any market where a quick ROI does not exist. Their only reward from JNJ is short term profits and cash flow
    Too bad real leaders like Binder left. He saw early on after the DePuy purchase that the lawyers, HR and finance runs the show.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Depuy had a total elbow they just decided to not update it. Depuy has a total ankle they have just decided not to update or change it. Poor decision to not compete for this business

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What about a knee and shoulder spacer? Sucks losing out on those cases while giving a case to your Biomet competitor.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree with all this. Depuy seems very slow to react to the market.

While Attune is a great knee it is several years behind our competitors. What would our knee market share be if we had Attune even 2 years before. How many sigma users were lost to triathlon and vanguard who would have stayed of we had Attune. Srom has worked as a hinge but it could really use an update. If they updated a few things on the implants and instruments it would really help. The same could be said for TC3 revision. Sleeves have been why our knee revision numbers have grown so much. If a surgeon doesn't want to use a femoral sleeve then our femoral options are well behind other technology out there. Not every surgeon wants to sleeve every case

Our reverse shoulder has been good but we are losing business to newer systems out there. We either need to address humeral bone loss and/or lateralization because they are big topics in shoulders. We finally got a covertable primary stem but it is based off our older Advantage stem. It doesn't address all the surgeons who like the anatomic AP stem. I'm tired of our shoulder team saying we are market leader because that is changing. You can't hang your hat on that and it doesn't convert business.

Elbow and ankles Depuy just gave up on.

We have done a good job in hips(ASR aside). We were a little late with reclaim and Gription TF but finally have them.

Oncology. LPS is a good system but is more limited than Biomet and Stryker. They really haven't done much to add sizes or options to this system . It is also nearly impossible to do a LPS case without major back orders. It will be hard to convert major Stryker and Biomet oncology accounts with LPS options and backorders.

These may seem like small things and just complaining but there are what I hear from surgeons in my area. I like DePuy and have done well. I also know having these would really help growth and surgeon conversions. We have even been slow on the Synthes integration and utilizing that to convert business.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I left DePuy 2 years ago and these were the same things I had issues with then. People move in and out, but the problems are the same.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

pathetic that depuy is hanging their future of knees on attune. its at best equivalent to NexGen, GenII and triathlon. not even close to Vanguard and Persona. only people in my territory using attune are former Sigma user. Not going to be successful if we arent getting competitive guys like the other companies seem to be doing

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Now was ASR not FDA approved in the US