Hill-Rom

Discussion in 'Hill-Rom' started by Anonymous, Jun 19, 2006 at 10:18 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Would selling beds on straight comission be considered a step down from Ethicon endo? Recruiter tells me top reps can earn 250 to 300k. Is she blowing smoke up my ass?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This kind of job puts you in a tough situation. Out of device into a less sexy sale that will make it harder to get back into device, but the opportunity to make more money than you currently are. I think 200-300k is on the high side. Their top reps probably do that, but it would take new projects (new hospitals, renovations, etc) in the territory to do that.

I'd find out Hill Rom's market share versus the competition in the territory, then try to find out new hospitals and surgery centers currently being built and being planned in the next few years. You need big projects to make big cash in these jobs.

Just as an aside, if you get into project type business and you have a strong position, you can always do well. I'm in capital equipment and am bringing in over 1 million in revenue off of one new hospital this year. I know the Stryker stretcher rep has 500k in revenue from this deal. Just fyi.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top reps easily earn $250-300. Average is $220k. It is not unheard of to have a $500+ year at Hill-Rom. It is 100% commission, no car, expense account, etc. Company has historically had 85% mkt share in core line (beds). To be a consistent earner there, you need to sell the FULL line of products... beds, stretchers, case goods, communications (nurse call).

Best advice -- do your research in the territory. Some can be dogs... especially if it is full of for-profit hospitals as HR isn't even allowed into Tenet facilities.

Avoid the Rental Therapy jobs and Long Term Care.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Why are for profit hospitals bad for HR? Do they mostly sell or lease the beds?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ironically, the for-profit hospitals can be the cheapest. that is, they buy the least expensive alternative (stryker) and are rare to see the "value justification" that more expensive products try to claim. hill rom doesn't care to sell or lease, they use a 3rd party financing company, so they get the capital sale regardless. it's just that nfp hospitals tend to use bond/donated money and are more likely to go with clinical need/want vs. $$ decision only.

6. eastcobb

eastcobb Guest

To answer your question, yes, I think working for Hill-Rom would be a step-down from Ethicon endo. Forget what "top reps" make at Hill-Rom, what did the last rep make? The advice to check out the particular territory you are applying for is good advice. I wouldn't want to be the Hill-Rom rep in the state I am in because the Stryker reps kick their ass here.

Don't know if you are still looking at this job but if so, hope this helps.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Any idea why the Richmond, VA territory is open. Recruiter wants me to interview but not sure.

8. eastcobb

eastcobb Guest

Any recruiter worth his or her salt knows why a territory is open.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

to poster that says Ethicon Endo is better than HR or capital. Get a freakin' grip. I will give you a TOP 3 ortho outfit and maybe CRM positions are more lucrative with staedy income stream - but Ethicon! You are paid mainly on growth in a saturated market where everybody and their brother is trying to get on contracts with me too products. Yes you get good bennies, a salry and can say you work for solid company. BUT, you will never blow it out year over year consistently - they wont let you. They will juut shrink your territory and raise growth expectations off larger territory. How do I know, I was award winnig rep in Illinois for three years and was told I needed to move out of state and into management because my pay would be going down and expectations up. Oh yeah, asked if i would be a trainer too, an extra few grand for a crap load more work.

Long story made longer is I moved to high risk/reward capital and LOVE it. No call reports, micro managers, comapny meetings, etc.. Just commissions from dollar one every year. First 16 months i struggled to make ends meet but last 36 months have been over 200k without stressing out. Next 24 month pipeline will pay me min 200k if I close 70-80% of what has already been verbally committed to ( I know, wait for P.O). Yes I pay expenses, big deal. 1200 a year cell, 360 internet, gas and some freaking food every once in awhile. Thats what my accountant is for anyways. Jobs like endo are not true sales, they are more like field marketing reps as they pretty much sell on contract and make sure thay are responsive and visible. Capital means working thru many more obstacles and more market friendly environment as opposed to the GPO game. You are not a true sakes person if you rely on GPO's and have 90% market share. I was there and really never considered it sales, I felt like I was hawing an infomercial over and over. Again, great company, solid training, and a career if you want to move all over US every 3 years. I want more control over my future.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: Hill-Rom watch out, here comes Stryker

Stryker recently introduced a new acute care bed that blows the doors off of anything that Hill-Rom has. Hill-Rom even mentioned that competitve products have caused customers to defer purchases. Stryker has excellent products and will likely take market share from KCI and Hill-Rom in the years ahead. Stryker also partnered with Universal Hospital Services, Inc to provide rental services for their products, another area where KCI and Hill-Rom have the majority of market share. Stryker Stock has risen 50% in LTM with growth coming from every category. Stryker's sales organization is executing very well vs. the competition.

Stryker reps are well compensated and with several recent product releases and more in the pipeline, Stryker is an excellent organization comprised of top sales professionals with income opportunities above that of other medical device manufacturers.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You sound like the CEO of Stryker. Nice sales pitch about the company.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

with the economy is shambles hill-rom will not be able to buy deals the way they have operated in the past. Also by selling the casket end of business hill-rom has literally shot themselves in the foot. Hill-rom is down with earning and layoffs are evident. I would stay away from this company and look to a different industry or to Stryker for a career choice. Stryker is going to overtake all hill-roms business and become the true market leader within 2 years.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hill-Rom used to be a great company. They have lost most of their largest contracts to Stryker and the ability to make the big $$$ is in the past. Upper management is cutting corners and is very shady. They have already downsized twice in the past year and more layoffs are coming. Do your homework!

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hill-Rom hates competition. This is not the company that I joined. When Stryker does something.....Hill-Rom follows. The equipment is falling apart literally, and now it seems like every order is pushed back. Trying to make a bigger margin by manufacturing in Monterrey, just to screw that up and cost good reps repeat business. Thanks again for the 1%……The days of big checks are over......Greedy POS. They are so desperate right now for sales it is crazy. They have just put so many unqualified reps into the field to compete with Stryker. Taking away accounts from good AE's in this economy isn't going to result in sales. Hill-Rom has No Loyalty. Getting rid of DS and GE is a complete joke. Try being innovative and not a follower. With the stock around 8, this company might fold by 2010. What a shame.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hill-Rom has become the laughing stock of the medical industry. No relationship is going to save you, when your products are so poorly produced.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The FEDS are all over Hill-Rom right now. It isn't a pretty picture. Unethical companies get what they deserve!

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Agree with 5/20 posting, have been with the company for 5 years what happened to those two great leaders is travesty. We are now left with nothing to speak of as far as sales leadership goes!!! The AVP's in the South East are good but no support above them. No one with ability to build custome relationships like the way DS and GE could. This is not a company I would recommend anyone trying to get on with right now. I will be leaveing as soon as something soild turns up. Too much confusion within senior leadership ranks. CEO, is over his head. Tries to act like great salesperson when in front of the customer but just falls flat on his face. Pulled together a special sales promo call TAP 6 months ago and we have not sold one of these programs yet. ( What leadership) Current acting VP sales is same leader who was fired from his sales leadership position in the west and now thinks he is running the sales force. He has no respect from the sales organization. Lets not even talk about President of acutecare sales, he is clueless about everything except what feeds his massive ego. Moral is lowest I have ever seen and I have been told by some old timers it is lowest in their time as well

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Agree to all said. In addition they ruined the MME business. Finance guy leading sales ? And ED heading the division?? LOL
    Board of directors is asleep- where is Don Maier when you need him???

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You said it- they had Don Maier and now have kao, soderdork, decarli, etc- what a joke. Do they have an active board of directors????

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is becoming a joke, now they are taking away car allowance and lower payment for miles driven to something like .40 per mile. redoing cell phone costs across the company. This is just like spitting on a forest fire. The board needs to take action and get ride of the real problems, Kao, Knock, Soderego and that fool of a CFO, who thinks somehow that being a leader at tupperware means he is now a seasoned medical sales professional, he writes foolish letters to the sales force and now,believes he is a leader. What a joke.This group of leaders are driving the company into the ground. Sales force is a joke, no one is happy and everyone I know is looking for something else to do. No sales leadership at all.