Pharma sales

Discussion in 'Shire' started by Anonymous, Jan 16, 2015 at 7:24 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm having a difficult time getting out of here. Recruiters are down on pharma reps and several have told me their clients don't view pharma as a true sales job and won't hire pharma reps. Anyone else coming across this? Suggestions?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That's the million dollar question. One suggestion is to use a functional resume format vs. a chronological, focusing on specific types of skills, and achievements instead of leading off with what you did with each company. I think some people have had luck getting jobs with companies who own/market assisted living places, skilled nursing care, etc. Also check with diagnostics sales companies. I always wonder about managing a medical practice too.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This topic was debated about a year ago on the below thread.

http://www.cafepharma.com/boards/showthread.php?t=519497&page=2

I will never forget the conversation in this thread because it made me question what I was doing. Bottom line is that being a pharma sales rep is toxic and the longer we are in the game, the more difficult it is to get out. We are not respected because we don't do anything that brings value. Lets be honest, we are paid pharma UPS caters that drop off coupons. Employers and recruiters see us for who we really are. My suggestion: "Don't stay in this job too long or you will be pegged for the rest of your career."

Stay positive, do your job, and make the best of it, but there is no question that all of us in this industry should be doing our do diligence to get out if possible. Good luck!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's "due" diligence, dumb ass. Stop trying to sound smart when you're not. Just like mush mouth'Perry!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Proudly show case your foot hair and you will get a job at the Shire!!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have seen quite a few reps get out over the past few years. It's not easy, but it can happen.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

First, don't believe that pharmaceutical sales is not sales. It is more marketing than sales, but there is still an element of selling on a day to day basis. You have to focus on the clinical sell with the doctors...and selling the front office on why you should get access.

I do agree with the previous poster that the longer you are in this industry, the more you are killing your resume.

Save all your documents and present a case to the manager that you go above and beyond and get results

Regardless, I would not leave a good job because others think it is not sales and that it holds up you long term career. You have a good job, so don't leave unless you can get a good bump in pay in another industry.

If you are tired of it all and can't get a bump in pay, and just have to leave now, then here is my suggestion:

Here is what you have to do and it is going to take some courage: take a step backwards if you have with a strong B2B job, entry level if you have to. I am talking about payroll, textbooks, and even industrial products or chemical products.

I would make sure I knew somebody on the inside before making this move, and I would be very sure that the manager was a good one. The last thing you need is a situation where you are making less, and have a terrible manager.

Well, good luck, and don't lose heart. There are many "sales" jobs that are more marketing away, not just pharmaceuticals.

Other industries claim they are "true sales", but the bottom line is getting paid, having job stability, and having decent products with integrity, and having a good manager that respects you. You are never going to find all of these, but if you come close, you have a good situation, and there should be little incentive to move to another company.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The LAST people you should listen to are recruiters....in the same or below used car salespeople on the rating scale. Bypass these morons and go to the company directly. Sell yourself...if that isn't sales what is?

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You may be right, but thing is, recruiters are trying to deliver what their clients want or request when their clients say " no pharma reps". Isn't that the essence of sales? Fulfilling customers wants/needs etc?

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Pharma is not sales when you are promoting a product that has been around for 8 years. What clinical value are you going to bring to a physician for a uncomplicated product like Vyvanse? The monotony of talking about the same product for years will drive anyone crazy. Luckily we have BED indication coming soon.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Have you read the preliminary response of BED studies from physicians? Not positive. Do some research.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Haha!! Not sure what this means, but there has to be a story that goes with it. Please share with us. I'm sure it's hilarious

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Don't egg this asshole on! He's been posting this shit on many of our links. I rely on this site to get my important company updates. He is clogging up the news with all of this Harry Potter nonsense.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Great promotion for Pippin Took at the Shire!

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Do you work for JR Tolkien? Please do not use vulgar language!

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

BEWARE: Orcs have been spotted at the Shire! Aragon, the ranger

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are too funny!

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Smaug!

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well they are correct - pharm reps are not sales reps - you do not have to do an RFP to get business, you do not have to compete against anyone based on price, you sell nothing - you bring zero value to the office - your ARE NOT SALES REPS - recruiters understand it - drug reps never will. Time call you a "whambulance" whaa! whaa! whaa! typical drug rep PITA cry baby. GO back to Enterprise you moron!

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thank you professor for your wise words. Most recruiters are people who can't find a real job. They run a meat market and only exist because HR and managers are too lazy to do their own recruiting and screening. Now, more than ever, who needs them. No jobs and Pharma reps are a dime a dozen. Former rep, I now run a cleaning service for residential and business clients. If you want to actually work for a living, I have a position for you.