interesting times...

Discussion in 'Astra Zeneca IT' started by Anonymous, Jun 1, 2011 at 3:26 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

so yet another CIO has been shown the door and IBM have been told to depart, finally (I think that was the week the shares went up...) - yet all discussion of such topics seems verboten.

It's the elephant in the room, and affects the day to day existence of every employee that taps a keyboard or whatever.

It's cost a damn fortune to get nowhere, completely not made people's lives easier (somewhat not like the ads that IBM used to run on TV!) and who knows what awaits in terms of potential damage to intellectual property once they've left the building.

So, discuss. If you read this board and your life has not been affected adversely by "working together", you are a rare thing indeed!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Who was the CIO most recently shown the door? Do they have a replacement yet?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

wasn't it RW?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sounds remarkably like Johnson & Johnson, where I used to work. The CIO came in with her cronies, pitched the whole outsource/offshore/shared service model. Workstation support went to IBM, Network went to Verizon, and the rest - helpdesk, DBAs, Windows engineers, Unix engineers - went to India and Brazil.

Now she was asked to leave at the end of the year, but hasn't been in the building for six months. Helpdesk is a joke. Workstation support costs are through the roof and we heard "that wasn't in the contract" more than I can say. Network support is a joke, too.

Why can't management in these companies understand that the poor service you get from outside vendors is a huge drain on soft costs, employee morale, and productivity? What is so wrong with internal support departments that actually understand and support your business, as opposed to just another low paid, outsourced tech?