PIP's are now 30 days

Discussion in 'Abbott' started by Anonymous, Feb 6, 2014 at 3:51 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Pete Mitchell from where? Boston? LinkedIn?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There is no new 30 day PIP. If you don't know 99% of what you read here is for entertainment purposed only, I've got a bridge to sell you ...

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Would you rather be tortured for 30 days or 6 months? I have friends who have been through the process. It leaves them broken. I understand that this is a business but there has to be a better way.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There used to be better ways, and still are, but Abbott is unfortunately, like many other large corporations these days, so concerned with protecting themselves from lawsuits that documentation is the primary concern. The PIP has been transformed from a coaching and development tool, into a standard documentation tool for terminating employees.

The sad truth is that PIP's are used in any termination of anyone close to and over 50. Or any so-called minority.

Yes, in the past the normal process for a manager was a heart to heart talk with a rep that was not working out. Or found themselves on the wrong side of someone powerful who wanted them out. The simple words "this may not be the right fit for you" was a clear message that it's time to start looking. Managers then would give the rep 3 months or so to leave, no ball busting. In fact, we typically gave them slack for 90 days, and quietly refereed recruiters to such reps. In some cases, if we liked the guy, we would actually help by contacting other DM's and RM's we knew from other companies. Pressure only started after 90 days, or if we felt the message had not motivated action.

But to avoid opening a whole other can of worms, it is imperative for corporate to insist, as we just a few posts up on this thread, that PIP's are solely for coaching and developing. Just think of the nerve that was struck to cause HR in the Park to feel the need to respond with disinformation on Cafepharma.

To be fair, to keep up appearances, some PIP's are indeed used for coaching, and some reps survive.

But keep this in mind if you ever end up on a PIP: no one gets one unless it has been discussed up to the VP level, with HR, and the decision has been made that your departure is desirable. Put another way, no one valued by the organization will ever be put on a PIP.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is pretty much right on. Two comments I would add. First, in the pre-PIP prep, there's an internal investigation to see if anything can be found that can lead to termination for cause. Compliance, documentation, expenses, etc are examined. Little things get the rep a one-on-one, off the record meeting with their manager, where the evidence is presented, and it is suggested that you resign rather than get fired. Big things can lead straight to termination.

Second, I would't say "departure is desirable", but rather "acceptable", for a coaching PIP. There are two kinds of PIP's: "coach up" and "coach out". For coach up's, the company is willing to risk that the rep quits, but if they rise up and take the hit, that can be OK too. Coach out's mean the desired end result is resignation or termination.

But you are right in that for someone in need of coaching, but worth keeping, a PIP is not used.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So Gladys Knight is coming to town?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Your position is defined as an "at will employee" and you can be fired at anytime for any reason, with the exception of EEOC non compliance
    And you sir, may quit anytime for any reason without notice.
    Do us all a favor and quit slacker.
    Also any others like you out there,please do the same !
    Don't let the door hit you in the ass pea brains.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

C'mon pal, it was you that was "broken" not any friends.Who are you trying to bullshit.
    You cowards on this thread make me sick. PIPs are just mind games easily overcome rarely enforced.
    Weak minds can't perceive what's real and what's a smoke and mirrors
    Retired DM

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You gotta love our DM's! After you wrote post #47, it took you 13 minutes to write this load of crap.! 13 minutes! How long did it take you to write #47? A half hour? With this kind of "smarts" at the DM level, it's a wonder we're still afloat!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

RM at MD company and interviewing for a a RM position.

The correct trerm is "managing out" underperformers. HR and SLT determine bell curve distributions (Bottom 10%, 20%, 40%, 20%, Top 10%), those bottom 10% are put on PIP (60 days). People either step up or leave.

Anything I need or should know before interview this week?

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i was told, i need improvement or manager will break my hymen with a wood awl

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Picture In Picture works more than 30 days. Just buy a new TV.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

"Don't call me Pete Mitchell, call me Maverick"

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It sounds like you need a new coax cable. Problem solved.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

More like broke back mountain you chicken shit idiot !

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Its broke back mountain and you ain't got a hymen but your crap gets packed by your flaming partner now go suck a hemmoroid troll

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

trerm....

learn to spell

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ah, yes, very good ... but where's that lunch we ordered?

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ADC proud description

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So true

££€€€¥
    hr dept