Other commoditzed medical products ADC reps can sell

Discussion in 'Abbott' started by Anonymous, Feb 13, 2014 at 2:43 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I say we help our ADC colleagues out. I've come up with a short list - feel free to add:

dental floss
    menstrual pads
    hot/cold compresses
    adhesive bandages
    reading glasses

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Finally someone has established what "medical devices" ADC reps would be able to represent.

However, "selling" any of these items entails an interaction with a "buyer" in business setting. I'm not sure that catering lunch and dropping off samples with the receptionist in the lobby is the kind of experience and skill set employers look for.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

donuts

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

More "medical devices" for ADC reps to "sell":

Nasal strips
    Fever thermometers
    Bathroom scales
    Day-of-the-week pill holders
    "Reach and grab" helpers for the elderly
    Jitterbug phones
    Walkers

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You guys sell this junk on ebay right?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

More "medical devices" we can hope to sell:

Cotton balls
    Urine sample containers
    Syringes
    Bandages
    Rolls of that paper they put on the doctor's office table

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No, not any more. We used to be able to make some decent weekend money selling our meter samples on Ebay, but not any more. But that was when they retailed for $60 bucks and up, and if you wanted a free one you had to go visit a doctor's office. Now it's not worth the time boxing and going to the post office to ship a meter you sold on Ebay for a few bucks.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Diabetic socks

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Got a call yesterday from a recruiter working in a search for job selling insulin pumps. Gave me the standard run down on the job, like salary, benefits, etc. I'm thinking, yea, that's form me! So I said I'd be interested. Nothing but crickets. Finally he says the company specifically will not consider meter reps, but the recruiter called me because I might have contacts. I asked why, and he says this company does not consider meter reps to have "the right kind of pharma sales experience", or have the "medical knowledge of Diabetes".

First thought was to tell him to go shove it, but I figured I don't want to burn a bridge, and he was being professional and matter of fact, not snotty. So I asked him if that is a common point of view. He said yes it is, and that he works exclusively in Pharma, does 50% of his business in Diabetes Care, and is recruiting on retainer for several companies.

So asked him what kind of companies\industries would be interested on someone with 15 years in Diabetes selling meters, and he said entry "light pharma", like topic steroids, or medical supplies.

Man that is depressing.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thank goodness the secretary is working overtime! I need you to reserve a conference room and order in lunch for a Monday meeting ...

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I had the same thing last month, but for a new CGM product.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

SALT - Good for wound healing/ natural healing.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You need a rep then

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: Other commoditzed medical products ADC reps can sells

No, I need a good old fashion secretary. You know, someone to correct spelling mistakes, make travel arrangements, get coffee. We thought these jobs were no longer needed, but the secretary that has been correcting spelling errors on posts here proves that even with all this great technology, the need still exists. I mean, technology is a wonderful thing, but look what the result of type-ahead and auto correction have been. Add in add the things now being written on iPads and iPhones, which is only growing. No, we need secretaries who don't have to understand what something says, instead skimming for typos. Like the secretary here. Although the sarcasysm needs to stop; these are low pay, hourly jobs.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Toilet paper!

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What childish douche bags you reps are ! I say Abbott should get rid of another 25% of the dead weight.Your profession is going to be like dial up AOL in a few years watch and see jerk offs

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Now get off your lazy ass and sell or it's bye bye real soon !

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

blow jobs for sigs

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

As funny as that sounds, you can take to the bank that none of the TP companies would even interview an ADC rep for a selling role. Retail merchandising, perhaps, but not a sales role.

This is an aggressive market, and the leaders, Kimberly Clark, Georgia Pacific, P&G, Marcal, are sophisticated CPG companies. Their business managers are highly skilled in financial selling, supply chain, category management, and marketing. Most are MBA's.

CPG companies do not consider pharma sales jobs to be real sales, and within pharma, meter sales is considered to be at the bottom of the skills scale because it does not involve doctors.